Forum Index > Trip Reports > Larch basin near Hoodoo Pass, Chelan Sawtooths 10/12-14/2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Oct 15, 2022 8:00 am 
The old original Chelan summit trail as established by the sheep drive people pretty much stayed on the summit from the city of Chelan to Purple Pass/Boulder Pass above Stehekin. The current summit trail got rebuilt in the 1960’s/1970’s to its current route. It is much more hiker friendly but has a lot of undulation. For example from Chipmunk Pass to the Prince Creek valley you drop almost 1500’ in around 3 miles just to re-gain it again in about the same distance. Steve and I need an excuse to see the end of larch season in the Sawtooth’s so we concocted a plan to hike some of the original summit trail and check out an old sheep camp in a seldom visited basin between the new trail and the old original. We set up a camp on the current summit trail at the mouth of Hoodoo basin and day hiked over the next day.
4 mile marker on Eagle Lakes trail.
4 mile marker on Eagle Lakes trail.
Lower Eagle Lake.
Lower Eagle Lake.
Lower Eagle from Horsehead Pass.
Lower Eagle from Horsehead Pass.
Boiling Lake from Horsehead Pass.
Boiling Lake from Horsehead Pass.
The second day we hiked up the original summit trail and down into the old sheep camp meadow one valley over.
Our day hike loop the next day.
Our day hike loop the next day.
Hoodoo Pass
Hoodoo Pass
Part of the original summit trail going to the top of the ridge.
Part of the original summit trail going to the top of the ridge.
Old summit trail going up to point 8010.
Old summit trail going up to point 8010.
Hoodoo Pass and Bigelow from the old summit trail.
Hoodoo Pass and Bigelow from the old summit trail.
Raven Ridge from point 8010.
Raven Ridge from point 8010.
Looking down on old sheep camp basin from point 8010.
Looking down on old sheep camp basin from point 8010.
Scree slope we came down into basin.
Scree slope we came down into basin.
Point 8010 on right. We plunge booted this scree slope to get into the basin.
Point 8010 on right. We plunge booted this scree slope to get into the basin.
Steve coming down scree slope into the larch basin.
Steve coming down scree slope into the larch basin.
View from point 8010.
View from point 8010.
Down in the old sheep camp area.
Down in the old sheep camp area.
Natural table.
Natural table.
Larch meadow in the basin.
Larch meadow in the basin.
We explored the basin and found some really old camps and evidence of early activity. After that we ate lunch and looped back to Hoodoo basin on the current summit trail via Chipmunk Pass.
Top of Chipmunk Pass.
Top of Chipmunk Pass.
Cub lake is really low with a bathtub ring.
Cub lake is really low with a bathtub ring.
We woke early the third day and hiked out for our last gasp of larches. When we arrived there were only 3 cars at the TH and we only saw one person during the first two days. The hike out on friday reminded us of going up the Stuart/Colchuck trail. There was a constant stream of hikers, Mt. bikers and dirt bikers. Not to mention the deer hunters. Trail head parking was totally full and going down the road. We were glad we ended with a mid-week hike.

DWB27, jaysway, John Mac, Bootpathguy, Nancyann, Now I Fly, Silas, zimmertr, Randito, Tom, Bramble_Scramble, dave allyn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Oct 16, 2022 1:56 pm 
I love the parkland feel of that basin on the backside of Hoodoo Pass. Looks like you had some great roaming. cool.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Oct 16, 2022 2:38 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Looks like you had some great roaming.
Yeah, I have to admit it was Steve's idea. He knows where most of the segments of the original summit trail are and he had his eye on that basin so he could look for old sheep camp evidence. Have him tell you about the guy we met who was on an extended trip with his American Mammoth Jackstock donkey. He has been around more than Perry and his goats. Really interesting guy.