Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sherpa Peak via West Ridge 10/15/22-10/16/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tNguyen

tNguyen
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 2:09 pm 
We climbed Sherpa Peak via West Ridge over the weekend. We wound up approaching via Beverly Turnpike Trail due to parking problem at Esmeralda trailhead. Despite all that things went well logistically. We started at 6:00am from Ingalls Creek trail where we camped. Some route finding but was relatively easy. We reached the notch before 11am. We took a long break. We were about to get ready, we heard human’s voice. We looked up and saw someone preparing to rappel. We did not hear them well but knew they were letting us know that they were going down. It took them awhile to get down. Because of waiting for them we started late. But we also benefited from their experience. They gave us some good advice, especially the next move after the first pitch. Tools: - We used a 60m rope, and it was perfect. - My friend wore rock shoes, and carried some cams and nuts. - I wore cheap hiking boots, but I was behind. ** We did not see summit register and did not look for it either. I brought some Cognac for summit celebration but did not have time. ** No water beyond Ingalls Creek. The couple camped somewhere above us. They said they were lucky to find some dripping water. It was dark, so we were off track every now and then on the way down. We crossed a small frozen glacier that I did not see when we were going up. I did not hear water running, and it was completely frozen.
Orange color sunrise
Orange color sunrise
View from treeline
View from treeline
View fr the boulder
View fr the boulder
Approaching the notch
Approaching the notch
A goat resting
A goat resting
First pitch
First pitch
We went left
We went left
I believe this is sand bench section. It got somewhat harder because I wore old school boots. Also I think after this we got to 5.7 spot/5.4 on the right but have no picture.
I believe this is sand bench section. It got somewhat harder because I wore old school boots. Also I think after this we got to 5.7 spot/5.4 on the right but have no picture.
We climbed down to a flat form. We then went back and traversed right from above.
We climbed down to a flat form. We then went back and traversed right from above.
Looking back where we came from (false summit)
Looking back where we came from (false summit)
First view of Balanced Rock
First view of Balanced Rock
Reaching the summit rock was fairly easy but exposed.
Reaching the summit rock was fairly easy but exposed.
My brand new $97 boots did the job
My brand new $97 boots did the job

Now I Fly, bivouacjack, geyer, Brushbuffalo, awilsondc, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message