Forum Index > Trail Talk > Prescribed Burns Planned Beginning October 31 Olympic National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:09 am 
Friday October 21 2022 08:32 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Prescribed Burns Planned for Debris Piles Beginning October 31 PORT ANGELES, Wash. – The Olympic Interagency Fire Management Program and park road crew have planned and prepared for prescribed burns of five woody debris piles beginning Monday, October 31, 2022. The debris piles are located in the Lower Queets, Hoh, Sol Duc, and Elwha maintenance areas of Olympic National Park. Road clearing operations in Olympic National Park generate large amounts of debris and pile burning is the most convenient and cost-effective method of disposal. Smoke will be visible at times from nearby trails and roadways while the burns are in progress. Signage will be used to notify the public. Smoke impacts are expected to be minimal; however, it is impossible to predict weather patterns and smoke behavior. With cooler weather and rain in the immediate forecast for the locations of the prescribed burns, there are currently no concerns with fires escaping. The operations will be managed with employee and public safety as the first priority. No area closures are anticipated at this time. - NPS -

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:10 am 
is it just me, or is this a major FAIL on the "read the room" thing? couldn't they have waited a few days for the rain to wash away some of the smoke before issuing this notice? just sayin'.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:27 am 
Aren’t there enough fire and smoke threads already?

rossb  Ski
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:31 am 
Beginning October 31.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:40 am 
Lazyhiker wrote:
Aren’t there enough fire and smoke threads already?
This is notice about fires that haven't started yet. Since people enjoy hiking in the Olympics, it's good for people to know about this because of how it affects their plans.

fourteen410
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:50 am 
he does raise a valid point: we could always use a couple dozen more "smoke" threads here, don't you think?
got a light?
got a light?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:53 am 
we be smokin'!
back later.... gotta run out for a pack of Camels!