Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Last year for tomatoes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 1:31 pm 
HOA says somebody complained and no more tomatoes after this year. I guess that means less time in the yard and more on the trails.

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 1:41 pm 
HOA has a problem with green living plants and healthy food?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 2:27 pm 
HOA boards tend to be populated by people that miss having power over others since they retired from middle management. The HOA in my development had a president a few years ago that decided to "crackdown" on one homeowner who was single and had a couple of roommates sharing his house with him. The HOA rules had something about you could only rent the entire unit. But the homeowner retained an attorney and contested the HOA's action. The HOA then retained an attorney. Several months passed, finally the HOA announced that all rental rules in the CC&Rs were null and void. I think a lot of the nonsense rules that HOA try to enforce are in fact unenforceable, but you'll need to hire an attorney to get them to back down.

Joey, Anne Elk, Bowregard
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 2:38 pm 
HOAs sound like worse entities than certain condo boards. Would it have mattered if the tomatoes were only in you backyard?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 2:38 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
HOA says somebody complained and no more tomatoes after this year. I guess that means less time in the yard and more on the trails.
Wow. Your tomatoes look magnificent. Very well organized and cared for. Maybe they were afraid others might join in and they wouldn't devote half the time and energy as you have done. I have seen a few scraggly gardens in my time. People go all out the first month or so then let it go to weeds and water-starved plants. ~z

Bowregard
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 3:45 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Wow. Your tomatoes look magnificent. Very well organized and cared for. Maybe they were afraid others might join in and they wouldn't devote half the time and energy as you have done. I have seen a few scraggly gardens in my time. People go all out the first month or so then let it go to weeds and water-starved plants. ~z
Thanks zepher, We went overboard with the seeds and after giving a bunch of seedlings away we still planted 72 plants. I set up the structure early this year and suspect that drew attention. They have been really strict with fence type (we had to get approval just to install the short picket fence above the rockery) and I am guessing somebody was unhappy with their fence options and thought we were getting away with something. I was pretty disappointed they would not specify just what was objectionable. The rep even said there was nothing specific in the CC&Rs so they just quoted "maintenance of building & lots". He also said the complaint didn't even come from anyone on our street. Varieties this year: 1. Sungold - tangy cherry variety that is very prolific (tallest of them all) 2. Polish Linguisa - Looks more like a pepper than tomato. Hard to start but good for salads and salsa. 3. Salsa - First determinate variety we have tried - very firm and meaty. 4. Early Girl - PNW standard - very early and prolific. 5. Big Daddy - Large and meaty 6. Dark Star - Best starts of the group and flavorful like other dark varieties. 7. Mortgage Lifter - Very large and rippled. Grows on very upright blossom stems which can be hard to support. New tips we tried: 1. Plant deep - worked well but first fruit was pretty low and hard to keep off ground. 2. Active Pollination - toothbrush buzz blossoms - worked too well and fruit stems were really heavy. 3. Rock Phosphate - add to roots when transplanting - losses were very small. 4. Cross member - added horizontal ties to support poles which helped but might have created HOA issue.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 4:05 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
HOAs sound like worse entities than certain condo boards. Would it have mattered if the tomatoes were only in you backyard?
HOA letter stated: "Tomato plants being grown, and the accompanying structure, in front yard are visible from the road." Based on that I assume backyard tomatoes or anything hidden from the road would be OK. But the actual CC&Rs identified were very general with no specifics and the letter actually stated: "this will be your last grow season for tomatoes". They set compliance to: "Once tomatoes are all grown and picked - It just didn’t feel right to ask you to take down the plants." I do wonder if we would have heard anything if the tomatoes were actually growing on the supports when we put them up but who knows.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 4:51 pm 
I would ask them what specific portion of the CC&Rs the feel your plants are in violation of. My HOA was hassling me about my daughter's van being parked in our driveway claiming that pickup trucks and vans were specifically banned in the CC&Rs section 17A. When I carefully read Section 17A I found a long enumeration of vehicle types , which included "automobiles" (as well as vans and pickup trucks) but importantly I found that a revision of the CC&RS adopted in the 90s had removed any reference to the enumeration of vehicle types and stated instead that only "private family automobiles" may be parked in the driveway, with no further definition of "private family automobiles". After I pointed out that they were trying to enforce a rule that was in fact not in the written rules, several board members started parking their pickup trucks in their driveways and letting junk pile up in their garage and they have stopped hassling me about my daughter's van.

Bowregard
neek

neek
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 4:51 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
"this will be your last grow season for tomatoes".
Ah, I get it. They just want you to practice good crop rotation. Corn next year, peppers the next, then sunflowers... Seriously though, this is insane, I can't print the words that come to mind.

kite, Cyclopath  Bowregard
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 5:03 pm 
Bo, tomatoes look awesome and well tended. Personally I would ignore the HOA when it comes to something like this. Our country would be a lot better off if everyone would just, Mind your own business!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

RichP, Bowregard
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 5:29 pm 
I agree Waterman, one of my favorite sayings is that "Where there are people, there will be problems". When I bought my property I researched HOA's and also Recreational properties like Port Susan and Lake Connor Park, and found way to many bad experiences online. I left my Mom's place unattended here in Idaho, returned several weeks later with the yard full of 2' high weeds and grass, no problem, just a PITA to cut. Freedom is nice.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 6:48 pm 
Today's harvest (minus 1-2 dozen Sungold): Left -> Right Big Daddy Early Girl Dark Star Mortgage Lifter

zimmertr, Chief Joseph
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 6:57 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
HOA says somebody complained and no more tomatoes after this year.
Man I wish I had a garden like yours. So awesome. Great job.

Flickr | Strava

Bowregard
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 7:20 pm 
So many tomato plants - do members of your family can part of the huge bounty?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 7:58 pm 
I have a small garden in the front yard because it is the sunniest place. I think we have a couple of CCRs here. If I remember correctly, I read where goats are not permitted and you can't be running a business from your house, and houses are limited to one story. People need to read before buying but it sounds like some rules are vague. Something is nipping off the blooms on the Beefeater tomato. It's a bust. The Early Girl? is doing well. I have corn planted in the back and something is eating the tassels on the ears. I do not know if I will get any corn.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities