Forum Index > Trail Talk > Owner & dog shot and killed in Lewis Co.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 2:54 pm 
Man that's a scary looking pupper. Looks like it might want to snuggle you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 4:13 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Maybe I missed something, but it's odd that the medical examiner didn't opine on an estimated time of death.
There's a lot of stuff like that - I can't tell if this is because the pathologist didn't give an opinion (or wasn't able to tell), or the Chronicle couldn't find that information or wasn't given access, or whether they just didn't reference it in the article (despite it seeming to be pretty relevant to everything else). Ditto about that "heart attack" bit. It seems like a complete red herring, and despite the pathologist opining he'd been having a heart attack for "hours" before he died, they also apparently reported his cause of death as homicide due to gunshot. The kid appears to have claimed they found him already dead, so a really pertinent question one might ask the pathologist is: was he shot before or after he died? And I can't tell if they don't know or if the Chronicle just didn't think to mention it. FWIW, absent other information, I would presume an innocuous reason no one saw his body earlier in the day - people generally don't see things they're not looking for, memory is not great, etc. You could look down at the trail or your topo app or something for a second and walk right by something. There are about 5 million other much more confusing aspects to the kid's story than the time this potentially happened (eg, trying to go the long way to Sheep Lake starting at 9pm vs Nannie Ridge in half the distance? not immediately backtracking the like 2-3 gentle downhill/flat miles to a campground to get help for the dead guy, versus continuing on in the dark and getting lost? still not getting help the next day when you hiked out? etc).

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 7:55 pm 
Curious and a honest question. Do people typically groan / growl / moan when having a heart attack?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
hikermike

hikermike
PostSat Apr 08, 2023 12:13 am 
If you shot a gun and it accidently killed someone, that is negligent manslaughter. If you heard something and purposely aimed and shot, that would at least be manslaughter. Having a gun carries certain responsibilities withit.

RumiDude
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Apr 08, 2023 11:51 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Curious and a honest question. Do people typically groan / growl / moan when having a heart attack?
Some do and some don't. Some are loud and some are very quiet. A heart attack due to thrombosis is the kind that causes severe chest pain and people often moan and groan loudly. Heart attacks due to heart arrhythmia can be sudden with no warning pains. These are the type that need a defibrillator to recover from. CAVEAT: I am not a doctor, just giving out info that I believe to be correct. I have also witnessed several people having heart attacks. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
catsp

catsp
PostSat Apr 08, 2023 2:39 pm 
It seems like one narrative from what I've read might be this. Kiddos encounter growling animal at night, which unbeknownst to them is just a dog trying to get attention because its owner is in severe medical distress. Kiddos get scared and shoot at (and sadly, hit) the dog. Bullet passes through dog and (sadly) into the dog owner. Kiddos freak out and make some bad decisions as to what to do after that. Now the prosecutor is trying to determine what charges he can and should bring with the belief that the case is winnable at trial. He's trying to ensure he makes his decision in good faith as a representative of the "state," based on the evidence and the law, without being swayed by the demands of those who lack the same access that he has to the evidence. No matter what the true "facts" are, there is a tragedy or two here. But if (IF) the narrative above holds water, maybe an attorney on here (or who plays one on reddit) can explain how that indubitably leads to a conviction for manslaughter.

hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Apr 09, 2023 12:36 am 
Something rather obvious here that has not mentioned by the coroner that is basic knowledge and part of any exam and no one has mentioned it and it certainly would be defining information. A living person shot has a heart that is beating and maintaining a degree of blood pressure hence there will be active bleeding at the site of the wound. If the heart is not beating there will just be oozing. Within an hour liver mortis sets in, the blood seeps to the dependant side of the body which turns purplish and the upper part white. This is one way they can tell if a body has been moved.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 9:24 am 
Prosecutor's office has determined they wouldn't win if they took manslaughter to court.
Quote:
Meyer expressed frustration Monday toward how the sheriff’s office handled the investigation, specifically referencing Lewis County Sheriff’s Deputy Andrew G. Scrivner’s decision to call off detectives and move the bodies from the scene on Aug. 20. “You treat a case like it’s a homicide case until it’s not. That didn’t happen,” he said during the meeting with Christensen’s family, later adding, “I’ve made my feelings known about that to the sheriff’s office. That’s really all I can do.”
https://www.chronline.com/stories/prosecutor-not-enough-evidence-to-support-felony-charges-in-aron-christensens-death,317062

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

day_hike_mike, fourteen410
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 10:55 am 
More details here: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2023/04/prosecutor-wont-charge-suspect-with-manslaughter-in-death-of-portland-musician-aron-christensen-noting-investigators-mistakes.html

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

idoru
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 12:51 pm 
The Lewis county deputy first on the scene should be charged with negligent stupidity. If that isn’t a “thing” then it should be.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 2:41 pm 
Whether it's incompetence, corruption, or both, the LCSO needs to be held accountable for their negligence. What moron confuses a gunshot wound with impalement by stick? This is infuriating. Hopefully a civil suit is forthcoming.

Gil

Gil
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 4:31 pm 
Guns, guns, guns.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 4:52 pm 
Are there any possible repercussions for the mishandling of the investigation?

Vertec

Vertec
PostWed Apr 19, 2023 6:20 pm 
Celticclimber wrote:
When someone ( and I've seen females packing as well ) has a gun. They just want to find any excuse to use it.
Gross overgeneralization. Although given all the gun crime that fails to be prosecuted in King county, I understand the frustration. This incident infuriates me for several reasons that cannot be discussed here (See the "other thread").

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
catsp

catsp
PostWed Apr 19, 2023 8:09 pm 
Vertec wrote:
From what the article describes (dog on a leash)
Apparently the report stated the dog had "a leash and harness still attached to him." I have not read anything to indicate that the dog was also connected to the owner.