Forum Index > Trail Talk > a heads up for hanging timber.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 11:49 am 
Just a heads up for folks traveling beyond Mason Lake. At the intersection of the Ira Spring Trail and the Mount Defiance Trail these signs are mounted to a tree.
The top third of the tree has snapped and is hanging precariously above the signs. Held in place by a few dead branches, it will probably come down soon.
So now you know. Safe travels. B

fourteen410, Fedor, Kascadia, Tom, awilsondc, Chief Joseph, runup  Cyclopath, idoru
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 3:26 pm 
Can you please climb up there and dislodge it? Or maybe cut the tree down.

day_hike_mike, Now I Fly
domaz

domaz
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 4:15 pm 
timberghost wrote:
Can you please climb up there and dislodge it? Or maybe cut the tree down.
Or maybe just go back out there and shake it a bit? Just look up and it's coming down run!

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 5:54 pm 
domaz wrote:
Or maybe just go back out there and shake it a bit?
I actually gave it serious thought. I even had and escape plan. Thought how silly it would have been looked, me frozen to death, trapped under its weight, thought better of it and strolled back down my track to the waiting truck. agree.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 6:59 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
Wow. That's a deathtrap for sure. Do you think that the local rangers would want to know about it? It is a pretty popular trail. ~z

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 7:34 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Do you think that the local rangers would want to know about it?
That's a good question. It's a popular trail in the summer. In the winter the traffic goes way down. I walk Bridle Trails State Park regularly and see similar situations there often. I don't recall rangers cutting down issue trees. Normally they wait until they're on the ground, then they clear the trail. Also, there was a much more dangerous situation on the Old Mailbox trail. The trail took folks directly below the hazard. Took 3-4 years for that large timber to fall. I suspect tomorrow's heavy snow will bring this one down. If not, maybe a temporary sign (like used for bees' nest) would be in order?

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 9:28 pm 
Well, I was wondering if I should call the North Bend ranger station and let them know. But if you have thought it through, then I'll be okay with it. Thanks. ~z

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 11:28 pm 
Please feel free to call them if you'd like. It might be interesting to hear what they had to say. B

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 7:33 am 
It all depends on the amount of time people spend under or in the danger zone, and the numbers who use the trail. It's a good practice to keep your eyes roving while hiking in timber. Hang ups are very common. Just don't dawdle and move quickly underneath. Sprint if you hear movement from above. Shout RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY whilst stilling the coconut hoof noises. There are ways to get the top on the ground but that takes an expert to do and experts are becoming fewer.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Now I Fly
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 10:10 am 
The quintessential widow-maker !

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 11:14 am 
^ Not really a lot to be done about those. I've reported similar things in the past, only to be told "It will come down when it comes down," because nobody in their right mind would seriously consider attempting to "remove" something like that. (How would you go about it, anyway?) Best to just remain calm, remain alert, and stay out from under big trees during big wind events.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Now I Fly
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 11:25 am 
Ski wrote:
How would you go about it, anyway?
It's an interesting thought experiment. Maybe one could shoot a rope over it with a slingshot or something, then tie both ends together and use a different tree trunk, safely out of the fall zone, as a pulley to get leverage and heave ho?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 12:05 pm 
Ski wrote:
^ Not really a lot to be done about those. I've reported similar things in the past, only to be told "It will come down when it comes down," because nobody in their right mind would seriously consider attempting to "remove" something like that. (How would you go about it, anyway?) Best to just remain calm, remain alert, and stay out from under big trees during big wind events.
Timber fallers have to deal with that kind of stuff. Sometimes, they can hit it with another tree, sometimes not. They have a few tricks up their sleeves. Often the answer is the cut it and run like hell method and hope they don't trip while running away. I've asked sometimes and I get "I'm gonna cut it and run like hell when it starts to come down." for an answer. But that's why they are often watching the top while cutting, instead of their saw. And then trying to knock it out by aiming another tree at it can get another tree hung up in it. So much can go wrong but it usually goes right for them. Most are good at what they do.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 1:52 pm 
Shoot the small end with a .50 cal sniper rifle, should be easy.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Carbonj

Carbonj
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 7:16 pm 
Jeez, place 50lbs of anfo at the base, set it off 500ft away . No it was hard I was hard I got drunk crap.