Forum Index > Trip Reports > Perry Creek: 10/09/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 12:37 am 
This smoky, bone-dry October is really something else. Normally I'd be photographing bold colors from the shelter of a goretex jacket this time of year. But with gross air and unseasonably warm temps, options were pretty limited for a shorter, scenic hike. Fortunately, Perry Creek fit the bill. Took the shortcut route from 4063, which followed an old road for a quarter mile to the old trailhead.
After a brief forest stroll, the trail broke out into the open, revealing hillsides exploding with color. However, many leaves were zapped by the heat/lack of precipitation. Dry and crunchy, they made a bit of clatter as they fell to the ground. It was an unsual and almost eerie sound.
Continuing up, we passed several parties coming down from the meadows. One woman reported that the meadows were above the smoke but views were non-existent. The uphill grind didn't seem worth it given the conditions, so I was content with making Perry Creek Falls my destination. I was surprised to discover that the the trail passed above the falls, not next to them. We followed the trail a little further, crossing the creek on a large log. From there we scrambled down a steep, woodsy slope. Getting to the base of the upper tier required crossing a short but spicy slope. After weighing the risks, I carefully picked my way across and was rewarded with a smoke-free private oasis. After a brief stay, we climbed back up to the trail to enjoy a trailside dinner at the top of the falls.
With daylight waning, we made the pleasant journey back to the car. I'll have to come back sometime when we have a proper fall - I imagine the colors would be even more amazing than they were today.

LukeHelgeson, rubywrangler, Chief Joseph, Tom, Prosit, mosey, RichP, John Mac  Lindsay, GaliWalker  Anne Elk, Kellbell
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 10:55 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Was this taken in middle earth?

SpookyKite89, Mithril, Tom
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 11:15 am 
I know that spot, right near the falls. I have done this hike enough times that even the hike to the falls and not further is a bit long and rocky...well for an out of shape old guy anyway.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 10:12 am 
Great pictures!! Wondering if you could expound on the "short cut route"?

mosey

mosey
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 10:23 am 
Kellbell wrote:
Great pictures!! Wondering if you could expound on the "short cut route"?
4063 labeled
4063 labeled
It's the original Perry Creek trailhead that was closed a few decades ago. It was reopened for logging last year and I believe it's stayed open.

Kellbell
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 10:51 am 
mosey wrote:
It's the original Perry Creek trailhead that was closed a few decades ago. It was reopened for logging last year and I believe it's stayed open.
When I drove past last weekend, there was a pile of rocks blocking the road right above the MLH. Several cars parked there, but seems like they're at least keeping it closed while the logging is happening. I wouldn't be surprised if they rip the road up when they're done.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 12:12 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they rip the road up when they're done.
That'd be a bummer. It's in incredible shape.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Nov 05, 2022 11:35 pm 
Really enjoyed this photoset - thank you! Perry Creek is one MLH trail I've never explored.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

SpookyKite89