Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fishing moving water in the Pasayten(and other wilderness areas)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JeffReigns

JeffReigns
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 6:20 pm 
Hey guys, I've long wanted to arrange a multi-day backpack in to do some fishing. I know traditionally most guys that put "fishing" and "Pasayten" in the same trip are fishing lakes - and while I don't mind that at all, I'm more interested in moving water. I know there's numerous creeks and rivers in and around the Pasayten(Andrews, Pasayten, Chewuch to name a few more popular ones). Realistically speaking, how are the waters in this area for access, and fishing if you've wet a line? I know this is Washington, so I'm not expecting to catch 30" submarines, I'm more than happy with a tug on the other end regardless of size. Bonus if there are brook trout present as those are wonderful table fare and one or two of those pair well with a mountain house as some bonus protein! Feel free to drop a PM if you have any specific information you don't mind sharing. I'm thinking of putting together a few day loop and giving it a shot this coming summer. Also open to other areas/suggestions if you have experience with this sort of thing. I know this is more common in other western states(Montana, Idaho and Wyoming come to mind) but surely a guy should be able to put together a similar trip here with good success... keeping in mind that the fish are usually smaller. Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 9:47 pm 
JeffReigns wrote:
those pair well with a mountain house
I recommend the BEEF MAC in order to maximize base protein levels as well as add the fish for further protein

JeffReigns
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 10:03 pm 
Are you flyfishing? Artificial lures?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

JeffReigns
JeffReigns

JeffReigns
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 10:29 pm 
Fly fishing

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 11:28 pm 
Lots of small cutthroats above the falls on the Chewuch (typically closed below). Redband randbows and cutts in the Pasayten River up by the airport (small, but pretty and cooperative). There are brookies in the MF Pasayten, at least coming out of Big Hidden Lake. Probably the same bows and cutts in the Ashnola, but I'm just guessing based on what I've read. Lost River has fish too, but also has bull trout, salmon, and steelhead and some closed sections down lower (like the Chewuch) so watch the regs.

JeffReigns