Forum Index > Trail Talk > Garmin killing preset messages for new accounts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 8:18 pm 
They're being replaced by check in messages. You can't edit what these say. Otherwise they're the same in terms of cost. If you already have one, you're grandfathered in. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=y6jQ78qAaW6EvPvztACfj8 https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Dlq83lU2Ru5SHas9vohbbA NOTE: Check-in messages have replaced preset messages as of September 27th, 2022. inReach accounts set up prior to this date will still have preset messages available, but any new accounts created after this date will use check-in messages.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catsp

catsp
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 8:43 am 
I'm not sure I would consider this killing preset messages per se, as opposed to simply eliminating the ability to customize your preset messages. For practical purposes, it seems like not much in the way of reduced functionality. You will now just need to tell the person who gets your check-in messages what each actually means. E.g., "Remember, if you get the 'I'm starting my trip' message, it actually means the tuna sandwich you packed for me was super soggy again!" Or that you've turned around, or are running late, or whatever. So on one hand it's really no big deal. OTOH, I can see why new accounts would find the inability to customize the messages as somewhat disappointing, given how my own presets are so imaginative and amusing.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 9:34 am 
catsp wrote:
I'm not sure I would consider this killing preset messages per se, as opposed to simply eliminating the ability to customize your preset messages.
Garmin considers "Check-in messages have replaced preset messages as of September 27th, 2022." That means preset messages no longer exist for new accounts, and are replaced with check in messages. You can consider them an elephant if you like.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 9:54 am 
Garmin as a company has a lot to offer in navigation and tracking. But as an emergency alert device they could be whistling as they hike past the graveyard. In a very short time smart phones are going to have satellite txt and email capabilities that will render an inreach device obsolete. I don't know why they would want to alienate their customers with such a trivial change.

fourteen410, call-151, jaysway, Cyclopath
CS

CS
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 10:55 am 
I can’t really think why this would matter to them… maybe some transmission costs are lower?

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:00 pm 
I would think it was all about transmission. Instead of a string of words, you send a short code that is translated later on earth

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:21 pm 
CS wrote:
I can’t really think why this would matter to them… maybe some transmission costs are lower?
This is only a guess but: Garmin sells plans for their inReach devices, allowing you to send any text you like through the satellites. Preset messages could be any text you like. That was competition. To discourage users from relying on preset messages too much instead of paid ones, Garmin made it so preset messages had to be put together in advance. Probably, Garmin felt like too many people were using that too much and this change will push new customers to buy higher tier plans.

catsp

catsp
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 3:40 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Garmin considers "Check-in messages have replaced preset messages as of September 27th, 2022." That means preset messages no longer exist for new accounts, and are replaced with check in messages. You can consider them an elephant if you like.
Lol. We could just as easily say that preset messages will now have a new name and can no longer be customized. I think my actual point stands though, right? That in practical terms there is little actual reduced functionality with this change? Or is there something I'm missing?
Cyclopath wrote:
Probably, Garmin felt like too many people were using [preset messages] too much and this change will push new customers to buy higher tier plans.
I am having trouble seeing how this change does this?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 4:30 pm 
This change makes no sense whatsoever other than being a money grab. Device sends message # to satellite, satellite sends message # to server, server converts # to standard message or custom message. That latter is just a lookup in a database, and it has to do the lookup anyway to get your info and where to send the message. I don't see these clowns being in business in another 10 years.

CS, dave allyn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 6:41 pm 
Garmin has a history of squeezing any possible profit out of their devices and lack of compatibility. Remember the proprietary maps and protocols which eliminated using publicly available digital maps. They lost the auto GPS business to google and then the handheld market to Ghia apps. It is near impossible to maintain a monopoly in tech.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 8:15 pm 
Tom wrote:
This change makes no sense whatsoever other than being a money grab. Device sends message # to satellite, satellite sends message # to server, server converts # to standard message or custom message. That latter is just a lookup in a database, and it has to do the lookup anyway to get your info and where to send the message. I don't see these clowns being in business in another 10 years.
Agree this is 100% to get their customers to spend more. (Again, new plans only - if you already have one it's grandfathered in.) Garmin is well diversified; they're in aviation, marine, sports like cycling and running, hiking, and consumer wearables. They bought Firstbeat a couple years ago and make money licensing fitness and wellness features to companies like Fitbit. Garmin will definitely lose some ground in the satcomms market, but they'll keep expanding in other areas.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 8:44 pm 
The new preset messages pretty much match the preset messages that I setup on my InReach years ago. I would guess that there is a certain amount technical support with people having trouble setting up preset messages or trying to game the preset message system to send more detailed messages. Of course once Apple does add their rumored Satellite connectivity , InReach's days are numbered.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 8:54 pm 
Randito wrote:
Of course once Apple does add their rumored Satellite connectivity , InReach's days are numbered.
They have, I think? It's only available in US and Canada. You can only use it to communicate with SAR, can't tell your wife (or hubby) you're late but not in trouble and don't call SAR. It can take several minutes to get a message out. Obviously, it can only be used when you can keep your phone powered. This will drastically shrink the inReach market, but it will take another generation or two before it's really "there." Which is a bummer.

catsp

catsp
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 9:43 pm 
Always plenty to complain about regarding just about any company, including Garmin. But I’m still not seeing how this tiny little change is much of an issue. And I’m still not seeing how this can even remotely be called a money grab. Previously, a subscriber could send three different preset messages without charge. New subscribers can send three different preset messages without charge. The only difference is the three messages are now set in stone, whereas before they could be customized. There must be something super useful about the ability to customize that I’m not seeing?

neek

neek
PostSat Oct 01, 2022 8:17 am 
catsp wrote:
There must be something super useful about the ability to customize that I’m not seeing?
I don't get it either. Seems like folks on reddit often change one to "spending the night". But you could just agree a second "starting trip" message meant that. You're really just sending an integer between 1 and 3. Encode a ternary message if you like, although I'm sure sends per month is severely limited (I don't have one of these devices so don't know how they work). Agree with Randito it's probably a support thing. Companies kill features all the time (*cough*google) and people grumble but rarely jump ship. Also agree cell phones will make these devices obsolete in a few years. OTOH my PLB (no subscription fees!) will still be worth carrying around.