Forum Index > Trail Talk > Paralympian will attempt to cross the Antarctic Plateau on a hand bike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Nov 17, 2022 3:59 pm 
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/snow-sports/this-paralympian-will-attempt-to-cross-the-antarctic-plateau-on-a-hand-bike/ Another adventurer. Seems like it is prime time for Antarctic projects. "Paralympic champion Karen Darke is confident that she will cross the Antarctic plateau before New Year’s Eve. She just doesn’t know how exactly she will do it. Darke, who is paralyzed from the chest down, has two modality options: a custom-made recumbent hand bike and a cross-country sit ski. She will take both to Antarctica, but if the snow is too deep, she will have to leave the bike behind. Darke would rather use the hand bike, because the sit ski requires her to push herself forward a few inches at a time with ski poles. “That way [the sit ski] is horrendous,” Darke told Outside. “Due to where I’m paralyzed, I’m reliant on small groups of muscles in my back and arms, and they get absolutely hammered by pole planting.”

Off trail rambler

breadcrumb, Josh Journey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 3:13 pm 
That 3 wheeled bike she has looks pretty sturdy I'd say or sure.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 9:39 pm 
That is one badass bike. Both her and the Italian bicyclist - I keep thinking I'd hate to have to work on the bike (mechanical or change a tire) in Antarctic temperatures.

Off trail rambler