Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascade National Park Grizzley Bear Reintroduction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Nov 17, 2022 8:58 pm 
Get out of the way allow me to STEP IN. Here's the deal: once it goes "RAAHHH" it's too close!!! Get away!!! Never wanna hear one go "RAAHHH"!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Nov 18, 2022 6:41 am 
Bootpathguy
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 18, 2022 9:45 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Wow, people, get ahold of yourselves; this thread is now so, so far off topic and off the rails, it's ridiculous.
Who are you snarling at?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 18, 2022 9:48 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Wow, people, get ahold of yourselves; this thread is now so, so far off topic and off the rails, it's ridiculous.
Who are you snarling at?
Doesn't matter, it's back on topic.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
simont

simont
PostFri Nov 18, 2022 5:07 pm 
Of course I have no information at this time but I am sure that I have seen Canadian signs about the reintroduction of Grizzly Bears in Manning Park and Skagit Valley Park as well. I am sure that it is a part of your efforts.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 12:41 am 
These days it seems like every year you hear about these bears jumping out of the woods at moving cars to knock it off the road and drag the people off. Seems to be becoming a fairly frequent occurrence.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 2:00 am 

dylpickle  RumiDude  Ski
gb

gb
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 6:02 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Wow, that is pretty scary and on the surface appears pretty accurate. However, I have heard that there are Polar Bears on Uranus. So, the risk of Polar Bears going after you on yuranus may be pretty high.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 7:39 am 
When it no longer is cold enough here for the polar bears, we could translocate them to Neptune: * Low temperatures: -361° F (-218° C) *

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 7:44 am 
kim brown said "Doesn't matter, it's back on topic." I dont't think so...

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostMon Nov 21, 2022 9:38 pm 
NightOwl wrote:
I am all in favor of keeping the wilderness wild. The popularity of hiking risks gentrifying the wilderness and turning into an overly domesticated and overcrowded experience. If grizzlies keep the crowds down I'm all for it. As others have pointed out, humans are about a thousands times more dangerous than grizzlies, so introducing grizzlies might actually make hiking safer by keeping apex predator humans away.
Ok, so if you're hiking alone in the wilderness, which would you rather suddenly encounter around the bend, a grizzly or a human?

Ski
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Nov 22, 2022 5:59 am 
A turkey that way I would have a bird for thanksgiving

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 22, 2022 9:25 am 
Joseph wrote:
Ok, so if you're hiking alone in the wilderness, which would you rather suddenly encounter around the bend, a grizzly or a human?
That's a loaded question. embarassedlaugh.gif Depends on what human.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

gb, Joseph
Worthington

Worthington
PostTue Nov 22, 2022 11:37 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Important to point out that Grizzly Bears are very specifically listed as "threatened in the lower-48 states". Not "endangered" as some have claimed. In Alaska they're not listed at all and in Canada their a species of concern with no protections. I've read that the North Cascades reintroduction area (which is quite large) would represent ~0.1% increase in the total current range of Grizzly Bears. Is that a substantial improvement for the species? Much less for the specific animals removed from their current home areas? If the reintroduction goes through there will inevitably be closures. Check out a map of Yellowstone. Feel free to shoot holes in my numbers but something like 25% of the park is permanently closed to humans and another 25% has seasonal closures. Consider the impact similar closures would have on one of the most densely populated and recreated wilderness areas in the country. Ultimately this has always felt like a passion project of the starry-eyed biologists that have seemed to hold power in NCNP decision making.
Great post - If the North Cascades on the USA side of the border would be productive and healthy Grizzly habitat, why hasn't the extant population of Grizzlies on the BC side spread south into this range in the past 40 years? What's the theoretical barrier?

Joseph
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Nov 22, 2022 2:28 pm 
Worthington wrote:
If the North Cascades on the USA side of the border would be productive and healthy Grizzly habitat, why hasn't the extant population of Grizzlies on the BC side spread south into this range in the past 40 years? What's the theoretical barrier?
The experts north of the border identify six different "populations" in BC, which are isolated by various barriers, and the (Canadian) North Cascades group, according to this website, may have as few as 6 bears. The website from which the map below was taken includes detailed maps and narrative for each group. The situation up north is pretty precarious for bears too, except in the northernmost group.
Quote:
The North Cascades includes the communities of Hope, Boston Bar, Lytton, Princeton and Keremeos. Although relatively sparsely populated, the BC Cascades contain a significant development footprint and dense roads network. It is also bisected north to south by the Coquihalla Highway and east to west by Highway 3 which can be formidable obstacles to grizzly bear movement and cause accidental death. BC government plans to augment the dwindling and isolated population with grizzly bears transplanted from a healthy population further north in BC were shelved in 2006. It is likely that it will take a combination of grizzly bear transplants into the Cascades, motorized access management, and the protection of connecting habitats across the Fraser River and adjoining transportation corridors to recover this population. Other threats to the North Cascades grizzly bears include: - A high degree of motorized access into grizzly bear habitat; - Cumulative effects of wind energy development, power lines, mining, forestry and rural residential developments particularly around Tulameen; - Getting shot when in conflict with livestock.
https://www.coasttocascades.org/populations

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

vibramhead