Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascade National Park Grizzley Bear Reintroduction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 12:59 am 
From the Endangered Species Act:
Quote:
The Secretary shall designate critical habitat, and make revisions thereto, under subsection (a)(3) on the basis of the best scientific data available and after taking into consideration the economic impact, the impact on national security, and any other relevant impact, of specifying any particular area as critical habitat.
And...
Quote:
give priority to those endangered species or threatened species, without regard to taxonomic classification, that are most likely to benefit from such plans, particularly those species that are, or may be, in conflict with construction or other development projects or other forms of economic activity
These sections showed up in an amicus brief or something relating to the Mission Project in the Methow. The Mission Project will proceed in part because not to do the Mission Project would have had an economic impact. The Mission Project does have some Grizzly Bear habitat within it. It even hints to grizzlies near the area. The group that opposed the Mission Project was the Alliance for the Wild Rockies. I've never heard of this group before but they took on quite a chore...and lost. The list of groups supporting the Mission Project is quite the list. https://www.ncwfhc.org/docs/ncwfhc-members-2017/ If anyone wants to read about what is out of balance in North Central Washington, they will tell you. And they'll tell you how they want to fix it. https://www.ncwfhc.org/

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

RumiDude
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 8:31 am 
Balance. It has different meanings to different people. What balance is correct? If you've lived in a rural area for many years, you will notice that nature changes. Is balance the current state of burned areas? Does your defiinition of "balance" consider people? Hate to tell you folks this, but people are and have been part of the ecosystem before Europeans arrived. Is the pre-european time balance? So many righteous people on this forum who want OTHER people to change their way of life. Time for my usual lecture topic. If the area is not in balance ecologically, perhaps you should not put pressure on the fragile environments and stay out of the wilderness. Do not drive to the trailhead. Do not insist on bigger parking lots. Until you start walking your talk, I won't ever take you seriously. Ever. I-5 is a huge clearcut, extending from Canada to Mexico. Rehab it. Do the same for Hwy 20 as it is in potential griz habitat. Stop driving. Stop flying. Set a damn example and change your own ways of living before telling others that they must.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Anne Elk
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 12:38 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Balance. It has different meanings to different people. What balance is correct?
This is why we have a representative government and pursuant elections to help us answer these questions. To paraphrase Winston Churchill: "No one pretends that (it) is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that (it) is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried."
treeswarper wrote:
If you've lived in a rural area for many years, you will notice that nature changes. Is balance the current state of burned areas? Does your defiinition of "balance" consider people? Hate to tell you folks this, but people are and have been part of the ecosystem before Europeans arrived. Is the pre-european time balance?
treeswarper wrote:
So many righteous people on this forum who want OTHER people to change their way of life.
I wanted to quote these two separately to compare and contrast the two. If the irony is not immediately apparent, give it a little time. Meanwhile I will try to elucidate. Nature changes, which apparently is OK, if not outright good. People are part of the ecosystem. I don't think anyone seriously disagrees with that despite the "hate to tell you folks this" preamble. But people (part of the ecosystem) having to change (like nature changes) is somehow considered bad. But let's be clear about this before we fall too far into the hyperbolic black hole, nobody will be forced to live in mud huts, go shoeless, or allow an "apex predator" to live in their garage. Grizzly bears will not be patrolling school yards picking off stragglers or running rampage downtown. US Rep Dan Newhouse's declaration that reintroduction is "placing 800 pound apex predators at their doorsteps" is simply shrill exaggeration. Just as complaints against different trail users (hikers vs mtnbikers vs equestrians) are most often overblown, so too are the objections of the anti apex predator advocates. The proposed reintroduction is really a measured one with lots of room for adjustment.
treeswarper wrote:
Time for my usual lecture topic. If the area is not in balance ecologically, perhaps you should not put pressure on the fragile environments and stay out of the wilderness. Do not drive to the trailhead. Do not insist on bigger parking lots. Until you start walking your talk, I won't ever take you seriously. Ever. I-5 is a huge clearcut, extending from Canada to Mexico. Rehab it. Do the same for Hwy 20 as it is in potential griz habitat. Stop driving. Stop flying. Set a damn example and change your own ways of living before telling others that they must.
This is the old "all or nothing" argument. Anyone that insists on that just can't be taken seriously. To remind everyone, this is the proposed action: "Approximately 3 to 7 captured grizzly bears would be released into the NCE each year over roughly 5 to 10 years, with a goal of establishing an initial population of 25 grizzly bears. After the initial population of 25 grizzly bears has been reached, an adaptive management phase would allow additional bears to be released into the ecosystem over time to address mortality, population and demographic trends, genetic limitations, and distribution or to adjust the population's sex ratio to improve reproductive success. The proposed action is expected to result in a population of approximately 200 grizzly bears within 60 to 100 years." The initial goal of 25 bears is to be reached in 5 to 10 years. The overall goal of reaching 200 bears in the greater North Cascades ecosystem would not be reached for another 60 to 100 years. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Bruce Albert, Kim Brown, rubywrangler, Logbear
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 12:52 pm 
I was trying to provide Ski with some information to answer his question.
Ski wrote:
What exactly is so "out of balance" in the ecosystems of north central Washington? Exactly?
Scanning through Mission Project documents, it sounds like they think the area is "out of balance" and needs work. Local groups put this Mission Project together. I don't think the area is "out of balance". I agree with the Alliance For the Wild Rockies. They tried to stop the Mission Project, but they lost.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 1:22 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
This is the old "all or nothing" argument. Anyone that insists on that just can't be taken seriously.
Yes. Reasonable taking is .... reasonable, and the concept of reasonable take in order to provide reasonable life is an ancient concept that most, but not everyone, can grasp. Those on this forum seem to get it. So using it as a strawman argument here is a useless tactic, given the users of this forum, who understand the concept of take and can discern what reasonable take and reasonable conservation is, vs unreasonable red herrings, "reasonable" being the issue. "reasonable" is a big part of being discussed about grizzly reintroduction, and using the dismantling of the U.S. highway system as a comparison is just plain silly unreasonable nonsense. embarassedlaugh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

RumiDude
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 5:32 pm 
Speaking of Grizzly Bears and the North Cascade Ecosystem..... The last question that was presented during the Friday night meeting mentioned the poor berry harvest on the west side of the Olympics. The commenter wondered if this would affect the Grizzly's. The first part of the answer was that the Olympics are not part of the North Cascade Ecosystem, so there is no plan to put Grizzlies there. The berry harvest answer was more involved. The poor berry harvest this year was widespread and was seen in several grizzly bear habitats. But the bears were very good at finding the good berry places. The bears eat the berries in the good berry plots, then they go to some other place where they dig up plants that they prefer the bulbs of. While the bear is digging up bulbs with it's long straight claws, it's pooping berry seeds that have been "processed" in the bears stomach. These seeds are ready to grow and these areas will become future berry areas. The Grizzlies that would be transplanted have a 90% vegetation diet. 10% carrion, insects, and small mammals. The Grizzly's have long straight claws that are very good for digging, but not climbing trees. Black bears have curved claws, and although they do dig, they're not as good at it. Black bears are good at climbing trees.

RumiDude
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 6:19 pm 
How would Grizzly Bears in the North Cascade Ecosystem affect tourism/economy? As I pondered this question I was reminded of something I saw this year. Back on August 14th, up the Mountain Loop, I saw 2 big luxury tour buses (Beeline Tours, LTD) parked at Deer Creek. I'd never seen tour buses up there before so I drove up to the bus and talked to the driver. There was a group of 75 European tourists (mostly German I was told) that were on a multi-state geocaching tour. The buses had dropped all 75 of them off at Barlow Pass so they could hike to Monte Cristo. When I told the driver that in my 40 years visiting the Mountain Loop I had never seen tour buses up here before, he asked if I knew anything about the "chamois" that were up here. When I told him I had seen some on the north end of Sheep Mountain he corrected me. He said "no not sheep, chamois/goats". I explained that Sheep Mountain is just the name and there were indeed mountain goats up there. These are the Mountain Goats that were transplanted from the Olympics. Apparently the tourists were well informed about the whole Mountain Goat/Olympic issue, and had asked the driver where they could see them. He figured if he could tell them that they were at least close to the goats, he'd get a bigger than usual tip. I can see it now. The North Cascade Grizzly Tour. See that black dot over there. Use your binoculars. There's a lot on money to be made here.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 6:32 pm 
Grizzlies aren't as adept climbers as black bears, but they've been known to go after people who tried to escape vertically.

Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 7:05 pm 
There are some great entries about Grizzly encounters in the Lewis and Clark Journals. Armed with single shot muzzleloaders, they quickly learned to have at least 2 men when pursuing Grizzlies. Lewis's dog Seaman spent many nights barking all night which kept Grizzlies out of camp. Not to be too graphic, but when the expedition learned that the Grizzly didn't climb trees, the method of killing them was for the man to climb a tree (with your gun loaded). When the Grizzly stood at the bottom of the tree and looked up and opened his mouth, that's when they'd shoot, right down the mouth. Head shots didn't work because of the thick muscle surrounding the skull. Body shots were pretty useless. One bear had been hit 11 times with several shots through the lungs and heart. He was finally stopped when a shot broke it's shoulder. There were several exciting encounters with Grizzlies but no one on the expedition was ever hurt by a Grizzly. The Journals mention grizzlies on the trip west, but they aren't mentioned much if any on the homeward part of the trip. The men just learned to avoid them.

DadFly

DadFly
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 8:47 pm 
As with all politics these days the focus is too often on polarization rather than solutions. It is either "Grizzlies are coming for your children." or "Your rights do not supersede the rights of a species to exist in any place." I worked as a environmental consultant in the NW for a few years in the 80's. I made so much money I retired and have not worked since. OK sorry. I was barely able to feed myself those years. Just had to put that little dig out there for those who think elitist environmentalists are just after money. I haven't met any rich environmentalists who got rich off of being an environmentalist. Still true after 40 years. So back on topic, polarization in contemporary politics and the effect on bear management. It is our reality and it is the bane of both sides. The wildlife biologists I have worked with are very practical people. I will paraphrase to avoid getting anyone into hot water. A grizzly is trainable. They can be trained to fear humans but it is brutal. Bears will die. Bears inside Glacier National Park wander pretty aimlessly between feeding areas. They tend to ignore human presence with regard to choosing their route. Bears outside the park tend to fear humans and choose well hidden routes that almost always avoid human contact. Collared bears who were careless about human contact inside the park behaved differently outside the park. They wandered down riparian zones in broad daylight past small towns and grade schools without ever being detected much less predating. So the point is, bears can coexist with humans in wilderness if the management plan includes teaching bears that humans can and will kill them. I cannot speak for anyone but I feel quite comfortable saying I haven't met any bear management professionals who would disagree with this assessment in rough terms. We are the ultimate apex predator. When we apply our brain power and technologies to the problem there is not anything that can beat us. Citing the worst case scenarios as justification for not reintroducing species is rhetoric. I remember when it was "normal" to feed the bears from your car windows in Yellowstone. Those were black bears of course but the park service not cracking down on that kind of conditioning sooner is an indication of the lack of understanding at the time, - and subsequently the progress we have made in understanding bear behavior and how to decrease the frequency of problems. Citing the best case scenarios as justification for reintroducing species is also rhetoric. It is counter productive in two ways. It leaves the people most affected feeling ignored and it does not provide a methodical process for bear training and conditioning including strategic euthanizing. Humans are special. We do have the right to protect ourselves above other species. Politics are messy and of late, not functional. So I have no hope of changing any one's mind. But I put it out there in case it maybe smoothes one rough edge a little bit. Peace.

"May you live in interesting times"

Bruce Albert, RumiDude
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 9:51 pm 
I am quoting three posters. The emphasis is mine. I imagine that there are others who feel this way but are intimidated by the raucous dialogue and posturing. I feel for the folks in Central Washington.
Joseph wrote:
You don't know that the risk would be miniscule - that's an assumption on your part which I reject. You cannot preclude the possibility that in the aftermath of reintroduction, parts of the N.cascades will be more dangerous than before. If you want to hike among the grizzlies, why not go to Montana, or Alaska?
Couldn't agree more.
treeswarper wrote:
Just submitting this editorial to the echo chamber. From the 11/23/22 Omak Okanogan Chronicle Central Washington Has (Already) Spoken On Grizzlies Written by Dan Newhouse For decades, Central Washingtonians have had to fight to make our voices heard over the noise of outside interest groups and government bureaucrats who think they know what is best for our communities. Unfortunately, last week's decision by the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to reopen discussions on introducing grizzly bears, an apex predator into the North Cascades Ecosystem proves that, once again, our voices are being ignored...
treeswarper wrote:
From what I read in last week's local paper, the one grizzly meeting held here, in an actual area that bears are likely to wander out into, was packed with people against the project. Experience tells me that it doesn't matter how packed a meeting is, the powers that be will do what they want to do and lots of money/ grants will likely be available to fund more people and 'ologists who need employment.
DadFly wrote:
Citing the best case scenarios as justification for reintroducing species is also rhetoric. It is counter productive in two ways. It leaves the people most affected feeling ignored
Totally. Such a tsunami of enthusiasm for this thing. Any opposition gets shouted down and the person gets insulted. ~z

runup  Ski
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Dec 04, 2022 10:16 pm 
Does anyone think B.C. is going to sign onto live trapping and removing all those bears? Would it get through their public and provincial political involvement. I’ve had a job that occasionally involved taking some risk while on the payroll. I’d say no to live griz trapper. I think I’m going to the library that day.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Dec 05, 2022 12:57 am 
DadFly wrote:
A grizzly is trainable. They can be trained to fear humans but it is brutal. Bears will die.
DadFly wrote:
So the point is, bears can coexist with humans in wilderness if the management plan includes teaching bears that humans can and will kill them. I cannot speak for anyone but I feel quite comfortable saying I haven't met any bear management professionals who would disagree with this assessment in rough terms.
So my first question is, what do you mean by "bears can coexist with humans in wilderness"? Is this different from what we currently have in the other areas where grizzly bears are in the lower 48? Or is it the same? It seems to me that grizzly bears and humans do coexist in wilderness together in these other areas such as Yellowstone.
DadFly wrote:
Citing the best case scenarios as justification for reintroducing species is also rhetoric. It is counter productive in two ways. It leaves the people most affected feeling ignored and it does not provide a methodical process for bear training and conditioning including strategic euthanizing.
Why do you say it doesn't provide a methodological process for bear training and conditioning? What does this training and conditioning look like and consist of? Is it different from current practices elsewhere? If it is the same, then it is contained in the current proposal for the North Cascades. If it is not currently practiced anywhere, how would we know it works? Anyway, I am interested in reading any material on training grizzly bears to fear/avoid humans.
DadFly wrote:
Humans are special.
Humans are special in our abilities. Though physically weak and lacking natural physiological weapons for either defense or to take down faster and larger prey, humans have the capacity to think, fashion weapons, and plan. Much of this is due to our big brain in conjunction with other physiological traits. This ability to think and plan also makes us special in that we can "manage" other animals AND manage ourselves. Unfortunately we often don't want to mange ourselves. (See tragedy of the commons.) In the case of managing ourselves, we have the ability to figure out how to travel and recreate among other animals without being a detriment to them or ourselves, even among apex predators. The key has always been understanding the behavior of these other animals and then modifying our behavior so that we can coexist. The sad part is that often humans have opted to kill off other species rather than modifying our behavior. At the risk of sounding too utopian I offer another quote from Aldo Leopold: “Our tools are better than we are, and grow better faster than we do. They suffice to crack the atom, to command the tides, but they do not suffice for the oldest task in human history, to live on a piece of land without spoiling it.” EDIT: It almost goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, there are no guarantees about anything. Reintroduction of grizzly could just flat out fail. It could be poorly managed. It could go way better than planned or take much longer or much more money than anticipated. That's just the nature of things like this. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Logbear
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon Dec 05, 2022 2:52 am 
Pyrites wrote:
Does anyone think B.C. is going to sign onto live trapping and removing all those bears? Would it get through their public and provincial political involvement.
I don't think it will matter. At least not for years or decades. During the meeting Friday they said that the Grizzlies they would transplant would most likely come from the Yakk recovery zone in Idaho/Montana. 3 yr olds are preferred because they are ready to move into their own territory at that age. They would only use bears that have never had a bad human interaction. There is a healthy population there, and they have had good success transplanting them. The first areas to be repopulated are pretty remote. Ensawkwatch creek, Silesia creek, Rapid creek. Those kinds of places.

Pyrites
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 05, 2022 9:20 am 
zephyr wrote:
Totally. Such a tsunami of enthusiasm for this thing. Any opposition gets shouted down and the person gets insulted. ~z
Same as with any of the "wolf" or "mountain goat" discussions.... "There is nothing new under the sun."
Logbear wrote:
If anyone wants to read about what is out of balance in North Central Washington, they will tell you. And they'll tell you how they want to fix it. https://www.ncwfhc.org/
So... IOW: YOU are not able to articulate in a few sentences exactly what the gist of the argument is? WE are now required to go read the sales pitch written up by some third party who's possibly associated with or a member of some group made up of various special-interest stakeholders and governmental agencies? WHY IS IT THAT SIMPLE QUESTIONS NEVER GET SIMPLE ANSWERS HERE? If you cannot articulate your argument in simple English, there IS no argument. Full stop.
DadFly wrote:
I made so much money I retired and have not worked since. OK sorry. I was barely able to feed myself those years. Just had to put that little dig out there for those who think elitist environmentalists are just after money. I haven't met any rich environmentalists who got rich off of being an environmentalist.
Wow... well... I'm really sorry that you hitched your horse to the wrong wagon. I guess you weren't around for this discussion, huh?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."