Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascade National Park Grizzley Bear Reintroduction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Nov 05, 2023 8:36 am 
From the article: "Bears for the program would likely be transported from around Glacier National Park or Northwestern Montana, a population chosen for their berry-based diets, [...] these particular bears “don’t know how to fish or look for live salmon.” Apologies for making the same point again: the grizzlies that eventually inhabit the Cascades will likely be much more like the black bears currently here than like the big-game-hunting bears, including black bears, in the greater Rockies ecosystem.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Logbear

Logbear
PostFri Nov 10, 2023 1:05 pm 
https://www.king5.com/article/tech/science/environment/federal-officials-grizzly-north-cascades/281-16c5b859-92bc-471a-a033-1b0b841f6cfd

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Nov 12, 2023 2:25 pm 
Note that the comment period closes Nov 13, 2023 at 11:59 PM Mountain Time.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Dave Workman
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 9:13 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/top-republican-takes-action-block-biden-plan-release-deadly-grizzly-bears-near-rural-community
What were you saying about the wisdom of making decisions by emotion? That's pure fear mongering and nakedly political too.
Not sure what you're talking about. Seemed like a fairly balanced article describing the situation.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 9:39 am 
https://www.heraldnet.com/opinion/some-of-us-are-saying-hell-yes-to-grizzlies-in-n-cascades/ I have lived in Washington my whole adult life, grew up in Fall City, and I attended the meeting as a supporter of grizzly bear restoration in the North Cascades (“Hello no to grizzlies’: Darrington locals give federal agencies an earful,” The Herald, Nov. 4). As the daughter of a logger, I learned to love the great outdoors. For me, the benefits of restoring grizzlies greatly outweigh the risks. In my lifetime we’ve protected these lands so they could be a refuge for wildlife, including the grizzly, which roamed here for thousands of years. The decision to exterminate the grizzly in the 19th century should not result in a permanent loss, especially when we have the tools, experience and habitat to welcome them back. I submitted written comments at the meeting, because participants were told that all comments would be equally valued. However, this story only paid attention to those willing to wave signs and grandstand. I wish the reporter did not discount those of us who wrote comments and privately testified. The article stated that “locals almost unanimously opposed to the proposed reintroduction” but over 20 percent of public testimony was in favor of restoration. Many of those hesitant to restore grizzlies decried the loss of salmon, deer, elk, and other species in our state. People at the meeting yearned for a rejuvenation of our natural resources and said “hell yes” to recovering the natural splendors of our state. The story missed an opportunity to emphasize the common longing we all share for better management of and resilience for our natural treasures. Gay Norman Bothell

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

kiliki
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 10:59 am 
20% is a minority. Gay who now lives in Bothell will never see her desire come to fruition thankfully

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 12:47 pm 
Well, at least two two comment submitters from this thread are going to cancel each other out. I wrote a long letter and mentioned that my opinion was based in part on having lived in griz country (Banff NP) for four years, and observing how much more pro-active park wardens have had to become in the decades since to keep griz and humans away from each other; not because the townsite's expanded that much, but due to the crush of increased backcountry use throughout the park. The article that really tipped my opinion was this one, which I referenced earlier here, and in my comment letter: Grizzlies are coming to town. Can the West live with them? Bears will go where the food is, easy pickin's especially. I'm not convinced that there will be enough in the NC to support a griz population, and I can't support a program where the probability of negative human/bear encounters and bear removal is high. I would support facilitating natural migration from Canada; creating critter under/over passes, etc. Meanwhile, and slightly off-topic, a friend who doesn't know about this proposal sent this article last night: Drunk grizzlies keep getting hit by trains in Montana

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 1:57 pm 
There is about 9 hours left to submit a comment. My comment will not be based on whether 20% is a minority or not, or because someone who lives in, or moved to Bothell submitted a letter to the editor. My comment will be based on the scientific evidence presented by a wide array of wildlife biologist and other scientists. I watched the "North Cascades Grizzly Bear Restoration Public Scoping Meeting 4" back in December 2022. Watching those meetings and studying the EIS got me to change my mind from wanting nature to take it's course and allow Grizzlies to repopulate on their own, to agreeing with Alternative C which is the preferred alternative of the National Park Service and the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The EIS is a good read. https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=327&projectID=112008&documentID=132104

kiliki
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 2:44 pm 
There was a recent article in the Seattle Times about how re-introduction of grizzlies would affect recreational use in the North Cascades. I didn't see much of what the headline promised. The map they published was rather sobering when you see how much of the Cascades they want to re-populate. Clear down to Snoqualmie Pass and the Cle Elum backcountry, the Stuart Range and the Teanaways. frown.gif ~z
Click to enlarge.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 3:14 pm 
Well I submitted my remarks already in support of the Preferred Alternative, i.e. Alternative C. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 16, 2023 12:23 pm 
Here's a good read about grizzlies taking to the grass prairies. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Nov 21, 2023 7:15 pm 
It would be funny if the bears migrated north of the border to escape the many hikers in the North Cascades.

Bootpathguy, Chief Joseph  Anne Elk, ozzy, Now I Fly, idoru
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 21, 2023 10:40 pm 
Lol, I was just going to write the same thing. Or like some they might move to Canada because they have stricter guns.gif laws. Kind of like the wolves that were placed in Yellowstone, good luck keeping them within the park boundaries. Maybe they should put up invisible fences? clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

ozzy
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Nov 23, 2023 8:17 am 
I agree there, put up electric fences to keep them in the park the state requires expensive rules on the cattle owners when wolves are involved. Collaring the grizzlies and allowing real time public notification will allow the sight seers the opportunity for viewing. While allowing those who want to avoid them the opportunity to do so. Then when the come to close to public areas some can be done. Train them to fear man like the WDFW does with cougars and hounds.

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Nov 24, 2023 8:55 am 
Looks harmless enoug..

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Chief Joseph