Forum Index > Trail Talk > How do you collect weather information?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 9:46 am 
I've used these sites for years and they work fairly well for me. https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/conus_band.php?sat=G17&band=GEOCOLOR&length=12 https://a.atmos.washington.edu/data/zone_report.KSEW.html https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/current/tiw I'm curious what other systems folks are using? You can never have enough info when it comes to the predicting the weather. agree.gif B

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 10:14 am 
flatsqwerl
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 10:26 am 
Windy blows everything else away! I also tend to use Mountain Forecast when backpacking at elevation or summiting to know what kind of gear to bring. I used to love Wunderground but have generally not liked their android mobile apps and constantly found the rain predictions unreliable. Which is what I care about 90% of the time I check a forecast.

Flickr | Strava

Schroder, CS
schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 10:43 am 
Randito wrote:
I find this NOAA product useful https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.08735836179193&lat=47.74988479543762#.Y26CmmSIYwA
I too find this NOAA site very, very useful. I generally find my route on Caltopo, click on a specific spot and select NOAA report which takes me to the site Randito mentioned.

gb

gb
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 10:53 am 
Like others here, I use Windy extensively as I can look at multiple models, look at cloud cover, freezing levels; and wind direction and speed at several altitudes to assess smoke probabilities. The forecast maps at Windy are those that are readily available, but the graphics are exceptional. When I want to look very long term, I use Pivotal Weather and supplement with CPC maps and discussions. Short term for precipitation one can look at the UW MM5, radar and satellite images. Also NAM and HRRR by way of Windy. For mountain conditions I look at the NWAC forecasts and telemetry. I may also look at Ski area and Parks webcams, as well as those from WSDOT or from localities.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 10:58 am 
This can be informative……. https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi

flatsqwerl
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 3:16 pm 
schifferj wrote:
I generally find my route on Caltopo, click on a specific spot and select NOAA report which takes me to the site Randito mentioned.
+1. NOAA has always been pretty accurate for me. In my experience, if the forecast is inaccurate, it's almost always in my favor.

neek

neek
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 3:57 pm 
CS wrote:
What I finally realized with Windy is that there’s just a handful of models everyone uses, so where you get the forecast form doesn’t matter as much as what model they’re using. It’s just a difference in presentation is all.
That's not completely true; weather.com (ugh) has their own supercomputers and does a ton of their own modeling using various public and private data sources. Wunderground has their own network of user-managed stations. And so on. Small operations like Windy just display data from standard models, sure.

CS
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 5:09 pm 
I have always liked NOAA's forecast discussion. Click map, follow link.
View larger size in new window

PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 5:15 pm 
Right now I use "MyRadar" app for free radar when I am mobile. NOAA usually when I am at home and I need good info... Google (weather.com) if I dont care much.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 5:43 pm 
For winter weather forecasts, especially if you are going to drive over, or recreate near, passes, NWAC is the gold standard https://nwac.us/. They are almost always the most accurate with precip amounts, and get the "eastern flow" thing, i.e., when we get snow in the passes due to cold flow from east, when same altitudes away from passes are getting rain. Of course they don't start forecasts until there is already significant snow in mountains.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep

Now I Fly
rossb

rossb
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 4:41 pm 
Most of the time, I use the zone forecasts (already mentioned) and the zone discussion from the UW. The latter is very helpful, as it gives me a chance to gauge confidence. For example, it is common for models to disagree a few days out, and the forecasters to go with what is normal for that time of year. One of the tougher problems is determining what "partly cloudy" means. For me, personally, I find high clouds to be just fine (people looking at the stars feel otherwise). In contrast, a sunny day with all the mountain peaks obscured is a bummer. Both fall under the big "partly sunny" umbrella (which is the same as "partly cloudy"). One clue is to look at the forecast for aviation, which is listed under the discussion page. During smoke season I look at windy.com, as well as this Canadian site. I found that it exaggerated the early smoke this year, though. We had some tiny fires that it thought would be a big deal, and weren't. I also think smoke forecasting is especially difficult, as sometimes the hiking has been great if you get above things; other times it clearly wasn't. During snow season, I look at NWAC (as mentioned). Not only the avalanche forecast, but also telemetry. I also look at the report from Cabin Creek, since that is one of my "go to" places for skiing. Oh, and while I never use the lifts, the resorts have good info as well. For same-day reports I look at WSDOT information (if nothing else, to see if the pass is open).

Now I Fly
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 8:46 pm 
muss

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 6:27 pm 
Plan to head to Idaho for the winter next week, looks like finally a couple of dry days going over the pass, through Spokane and up to Priest lake. I am worried about the freezing fog thing though, they say that was a major factor in the big wreck yesterday (18 semi trucks involved) over in Kittitas. I ran into that once around Ritzville once and there were a few cars in the ditch and movement was down to a crawl. I would like to avoid that.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
gb

gb
PostThu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Plan to head to Idaho for the winter next week, looks like finally a couple of dry days going over the pass, through Spokane and up to Priest lake. I am worried about the freezing fog thing though, they say that was a major factor in the big wreck yesterday (18 semi trucks involved) over in Kittitas. I ran into that once around Ritzville once and there were a few cars in the ditch and movement was down to a crawl. I would like to avoid that.
I pretty much figure fog will be an issue in Eastern Washington from about Nov 20th until mid-February, except just after the passage of a reasonably strong front, which scours out the fog (pushes it out of the area to the east). It undoubtedly has been bad this past week or two because of mostly rather benign and stagnant conditions. The existence of snow on the ground in Eastern Washington enhances the inversion because snow is cold, but the top of an area of fog is also white and cold and enhances radiational cooling. For many years I taught avalanche courses at Blewett Pass and I would often return from Seattle two days in a row, and might even ski there on occasion as well. I found that the fog-top inversion would increase on succeeding days by around 400' or so absent winds. When teaching those courses at Blewett Pass when it had cleared, in shade the snow temperature was on average about 7 degrees C colder than the ambient air temperature. This is a major source of this fog inversion, as colder air has higher relative humidity. Looking at Windy (for Low Clouds), the Mission Ridge Webcam, WSDOT webcams, and aviation METARS for say Moses Lake, Wenatchee, Yakima, and Spokane should show you cloud layers and visibility.

Chief Joseph