Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cabin on NF land in the Middle Fork?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
philfort

philfort
PostSun Nov 13, 2022 7:12 pm 
Ran into this partially built cabin while looking for mushrooms today in the Middle Fork Snoqualmie. Anyone know anything about it? It appears to be new, the wood and nails looked fresh, and it's right along a GPS track I made a couple of years ago and I'm sure I would have noticed it.
It's not too far away (maybe a quarter mile) from the remains/foundation of another structure that's along an unofficial trail. I don't think either of them are the pedophile house (from the videos I've seen). It's not very well hidden, being in open forest maybe 150 yards from a major trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 13, 2022 7:29 pm 
Is it on youtube yet? Lots of how I built a super secret cabin videos on there.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
philfort

philfort
PostSun Nov 13, 2022 8:10 pm 
Time to pack a tarp and do a little camping.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Nov 13, 2022 8:55 pm 
I wouldn't stick around something like that. The person who built it might be completely normal but needs a home, or the person could be trouble, and there you are...!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Pyrites
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 pm 
Something about the Middle Fork seems to attract these kind of structures. Proximity to the metropolis, perhaps?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Nov 13, 2022 10:23 pm 
Probably just putting in a pit toilet

mosey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 7:49 am 
This guy built one in Canada somewhere. I do not know what the rules are there. I suspect we will see a bit more of super secret cabins in the woods.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 9:41 am 
Where are the trees being harvested from?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 10:10 am 
treeswarper wrote:
This guy built one in Canada somewhere. I do not know what the rules are there.
I've stayed in lots of "illegal" huts ski touring on crown land in Canada. I was told by the Canadians there that although the cabins are not legal, and did not receive any government approval, the government turns a blind eye to them so long as you don't try to lock the front door and keep it all to yourselves. They are all over the place up there. Some are on the internet and in guide books. Some are not. Just another way recreating in Canada is not as wild as in the US and more of a free for all. Where as in the US if you did the same thing on National Forest or wilderness land you would be committing ten different felonies and be looking at a prison sentence.

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 10:10 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Where are the trees being harvested from?
They cut down trees around the cabin and build the cabin. And then they continue to cut down trees around the cabin to provide fire wood. These illegal cabins are really environmentally destructive and should not be tolerated. Philfort, I would report to MBSNF so they can go tear down the structure (and hopefully catch the perpetrator).

melc
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 10:32 am 
Foresty Forest used snags (dead trees). It is preferable to use dead trees because they are a bit seasoned--have less moisture. The logs would also be lighter weight and easier to carry. He continues to use snags for firewood. I suspect he's in a area where there is a lot of bug kill in Spruce and Lodgepole habitat. If you watch his construction video, he's using quite a bit of blowdown trees. The photo of the subject cabin looks like live trees have been used. Electric chainsaws make stealth cabin and trail building quite doable. Here's a video of a night spent in his creation.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 11:55 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Here's a video of a night spent in his creation.
That's an awesome video tw. Thanks for posting that. That guy is really capable--even cooks! haha ~z

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 12:31 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Philfort, I would report to MBSNF so they can go tear down the structure (and hopefully catch the perpetrator).
And that's exactly why a person (well, me, at least) shouldn't be around to check something out like that for longer than it takes to see it & book. The builder comes up and sees you doing a waypoint and taking photos - no telling what they'd do. Granted, it's next to a trail and all; but in general, not something I would want to check out.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 1:11 pm 
zephyr wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Here's a video of a night spent in his creation.
That's an awesome video tw. Thanks for posting that. That guy is really capable--even cooks! haha ~z
His roofing skills apparently need improvement. There's another youtube person who documented her night in that shelter. it rained and she reported that the worst leaking was above the bed. Her sleeping bag got soaked, but the hut stayed warm. She recommends that folks bring a tarp to fling over the roof if they stay there.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 1:12 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Probably just putting in a pit toilet
Meth lab

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.