Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > PSA re online privacy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 12:30 pm 
Some friends laugh because I assiduously avoid "linking" of my devices, "cloud" anything, photo and file "tagging", fingerprint and face device unlocking, and etc. to preserve, as much as practically possible, some privacy and anonymity. Privacy in this country? You have none. This NY Times article proves it. Google flags dad as criminal for sending kid's pics to the pediatrician We're expected to just go along for the greater good. It's outrageous that Americans go crazy over other "rights", but not this. One commenter to this NYT article asked, "What's the difference between perpetual monitoring of all citizens for potential crime and unauthorized wiretapping?" The most disturbing thing about this incident is that all of the victim's accounts, files, emails, you-name-it associated with Google were permanently blown up, even though LE had cleared him. The least they could do would be to lock accounts until the person is cleared and then restore them, but I guess Google just can't afford that. Probably Apple is no better in its own way. Europeans have more privacy rights than we do, and the tech companies are expected to comply. Even Canadians have more privacy rights in some spheres, than we do; e.g. I discovered in BC that property ownership is private info unless you have a "need to know". Here it's public record and if you need to protect yourself from a stalker, say, you have to petition the gov't for your name to be removed from the public record. But of course the aggregators have probably already captured you. Any of our NWH techie members have ideas about alternatives for (at least) more email privacy?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Josh Journey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 1:23 pm 
encrypt emails using pgp I believe it is still available

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 1:26 pm 
If you believe there is such a think as privacy on the internet, you are bound to be disappointed.

Chief Joseph, dixon
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 3:18 pm 
Randito wrote:
If you believe there is such a think as privacy on the internet, you are bound to be disappointed.
One can still minimize telegraphing everything via every conceivable channel, and not "overshare"; ie, no facebooking, tiktoking, photo-posting your mug, and if you want to subscribe, there's VPNs, and the like. On a related issue, there are at least several generations now who don't get the value of hard currency transactions over paying for every latte with their "phone" (although drug dealers sure get it). When the day comes when currency goes away completely, anyone will be able to know everything about you. paranoid.gif I'll be under the dirt before then, so I don't care. But I digress. Hey Tom we don't have a herd of sheep emoji. biggrin.gif

Jumble Jowls, dixon
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 8:51 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Some friends laugh because I assiduously avoid "linking" of my devices, "cloud" anything, photo and file "tagging", fingerprint and face device unlocking, and etc. to preserve, as much as practically possible, some privacy and anonymity.
Anne Elk wrote:
One can still minimize telegraphing everything via every conceivable channel, and not "overshare"; ie, no facebooking, tiktoking, photo-posting your mug, and if you want to subscribe, VPNs, and the like.
These sound like wise practices to me. ~z

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 9:07 pm 
Photoshop has AI in it that decides if the picture of Mount Rainier you're working on for a trip report is money you're counterfeiting. That's been in place for 15 years or more. A lot of people were upset with this, because computers used to be slow, and they would spend more on better ones to use Photoshop, which wouldn't need as much power without the AI that has nothing to do with your photo of Spray Falls. I remember reading about Apple starting to do what the article describes. It sounds like the same as Google, they only do this on their cloud, not in your phone. It's kind of a weird distinction because a child molester can shoot the photos and not have them evaluated by turning cloud sync off. It's a shame Google won't let those people back in to all their data. If they used Android phones Google knows they were talking to pediatricians.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 9:15 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
One commenter to this NYT article asked, "What's the difference between perpetual monitoring of all citizens for potential crime and unauthorized wiretapping?"
Technically, this is authorized wiretapping? When we sign up we agree to terms and conditions that say Google owns our kidneys and gets to use our data against us for fun and profit. It's hard to argue that people give informed consent in a meaningful way but that's the legal situation.

Josh Journey
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 10:18 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Photoshop has AI in it that decides if the picture of Mount Rainier you're working on for a trip report is money you're counterfeiting. ... A lot of people were upset with this, because computers used to be slow, and they would spend more on better ones to use Photoshop, which wouldn't need as much power without the AI...I remember reading about Apple starting to do what the article describes. It sounds like the same as Google, they only do this on their cloud, not in your phone.
Some years ago I bought a used iMAC loaded with what I believe is the last version of the entire Adobe suite of software that isn't cloud-based. Since I don't work in media it made no sense to pay for a subscription, and I don't need every cool upgrade to those programs anyway. The $ savings was more an incentive at the time than privacy issues.
Cyclopath wrote:
If they used Android phones Google knows they were talking to pediatricians.
rotf.gif ykm.gif
Cyclopath wrote:
When we sign up we agree to terms and conditions that say Google owns our kidneys and gets to use our data against us for fun and profit. ... It's hard to argue that people give informed consent in a meaningful way but that's the legal situation.
I blame our fearless leaders in Congress for allowing this stuff to get so out of hand. When some of the tech moguls and academics testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Internet Privacy in 2018, it was pretty obvious that the committee members had Swiss cheese holes in their comprehension of some of the things the witnesses were talking about.

CS

CS
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 12:29 am 
We’re rebuilding China’s surveillance and reputation system, just far more sneaky since it’s private companies snitching and ducking the fallout. The thing that concerns me the most though is this continued movement to just solving for 80%, or even 99%. What happens when the key to a problem is in the last 1%? It sort of dulls down everyone to just track some not quite right solution vs the correct one, if not outlawing any deviations.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 8:36 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
it was pretty obvious that the committee members had Swiss cheese holes in their comprehension
IT'S A SERIES OF TUBES OKAY

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

Anne Elk  Cyclopath
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 8:58 am 
80% of the time, it works every time.
CS wrote:
The thing that concerns me the most though is this continued movement to just solving for 80%, or even 99%. What happens when the key to a problem is in the last 1%? It sort of dulls down everyone to just track some not quite right solution vs the correct one, if not outlawing any deviations.

CS
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 9:32 am 
CS wrote:
We’re rebuilding China’s surveillance and reputation system, just far more sneaky since it’s private companies snitching and ducking the fallout.
And our own. Fun fact, gov't only needs a warrant to surveil you directly, they don't need a warrant to buy the result from private companies that do it. DHS bought “shocking amount” of warrantless phone-tracking data, ACLU says [Updated] For years, people have wondered not if, but how much, the Department of Homeland Security accesses mobile location data to monitor US citizens. This week, the American Civil Liberties Union released thousands of heavily redacted pages of documents that provide a "glimpse" of how DHS agencies came to leverage "a shocking amount" of location data, apparently purchasing data without following proper protocols to ensure they had the authority to do so. It's good to be aware of important goings on with the tools and systems we all rely on

Jumble Jowls, CS, Anne Elk
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 10:41 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Randito wrote:
One can still minimize telegraphing everything via every conceivable channel, and not "overshare"; ie, no facebooking, tiktoking, photo-posting your mug, and if you want to subscribe, there's VPNs, and the like.
TikTok's iOS In-App Browser Monitors All Keyboard Input and Screen Taps What TikTok does is 'the equivalent of installing a keylogger,' according to security researcher Felix Krause. You should keep on not using TikTok. Honestly, you should never use an app if there's another way to get what you want. You can watch TikTok videos in your web browser. The behavior they describe sure sounds like an attempt to steal credentials. If you're going to use a VPN it's a good idea to use your own. For many people the point of the VPN is to increase privacy, but now the VPN host knows everything about you, all you really did was trust one entity instead of a different one. You can rent a virtual private server, install a VPN client yourself, and have a lot more (but not perfect) control over where your data goes. But not on iOS. VPNs are fundamentally broken on Apple. https://9to5mac.com/2022/08/18/ios-vpn-apps/ https://www.wired.com/story/apple-ios-vpn-data-leak/

Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 12:53 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
What TikTok does is 'the equivalent of installing a keylogger,' according to security researcher Felix Krause.
This isn't surprising. I seem to recall in the early days of TT, there were reports in the media that it was essentially an appealing "front" for its China-based owner entity to worm into Americans' computers, for all kinds of reasons. An even unfriendlier Google/Facebook, if you will.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 1:25 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
encrypt emails using pgp I believe it is still available
::)
smile.gif