Forum Index > Trail Talk > WTA Trail head ambassador program launched
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:13 pm 
But it isn't to thwart criminals, it's stewardship. Trail head ambassador program

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Opus, RumiDude, Schroder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 9:18 am 
I like this idea and wonder if these sites will see a decrease in litter/rulebreaking/etc. Is this only with the WDFW, or do they partner with the USFS as well? I hope it all goes well for the volunteers.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 10:25 am 
Looks like only WDFW lands at this time. It ties in with WDFW strategic plan. The USFS may require more staff to get something like this underway, and they're short-staffed. If this works, I expect WTA will eventually expand the program with the USFS for trail head stewardship. WTA is requesting volunteers to sign up for 3 days during summer. It is not a fun task, so I don't know that many volunteers will continue beyond one summer, and some may be no-shows after their first gig. That's how fun it is hmmm.gif Despite me being a Debbie-Downer (you spend most of the time sweating, swatting bugs, and being ignored), this may develop into a larger program for WTA, which they managed to fit into their mission. I bet part of the partnership deal is that they have a canopy, snacks to hand out to hikers, and swag. I wish them - and those of us who will benefit from their work - luck (but I am not sure Whiskey Dick and Pipestone Canyon in summer will be a big draw for volunteers - or hikers)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Jun 15, 2023 3:30 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
But it isn't to thwart criminals, it's stewardship.
WTA is all about stewardship which is great. Obviously they don't want to create an impression they're any kind of enforcement organization. Unfortunately their volunteer programs prohibit any kind of self defense equipment so that's a non-starter for me.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 16, 2023 9:38 am 
I was thinking about this yesterday. This program includes put-in's for waterways as well as bike trails, which means they must have changed their Mission Statement (if not, it seems that they should clarify the definition in their Mission Statement; that the phrase "public lands" include waters and bikes - donors must understand this). This program certainly could expand membership and donor opportunities - but the additional programs would still cost, so not sure how much of a boon it will be.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Jun 16, 2023 4:21 pm 
From the WTA link: "WTA is launching a pilot ambassador program with the Department of Fish and Wildlife at six WDFW sites across Central & Northern Washington, including L.T. Murray Wildlife Area (Joe Watt Canyon and Whiskey Dick wildlife area), Lewis Butte, Pipestone Canyon and two water access sites at Teanaway Junction and Thorp. Volunteers will welcome a wide variety of recreationists, including hikers, bikers, equestrians and boaters every Saturday all summer long." Um...really? rolleyes.gif Places like LT Murray and Pipestone Canyon are sublime in the spring during flower season (I can't help but notice that the gorgeous shot of Pipestone Canyon that accompanies the article was shot in April), and quite popular on spring weekends. But by summer, it will be 90+ degrees every day, the flowers and everything else will be dried up, and the cheatgrass seeds will make you want to throw your socks away when you get home. tongue.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

fourteen410
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 16, 2023 7:21 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Places like LT Murray and Pipestone Canyon ... by summer, it will be 90+ degrees every day, the flowers and everything else will be dried up, and the cheatgrass seeds will make you want to throw your socks away when you get home. tongue.gif
I know, that's really odd. Besides it being spent by summer, Pipestone Cyn is known for snakes. I don't know that anyone will be visiting these places in summer... Whiskey Dick in summer? Boat launch in Thorp? No. Not sure what the deal is about stewarding water trails, equestrian, and bicycle sites. It seems outside of the scope of their mission. In the past they were very careful to stick with human foot powered trails only. But that was then. I checked out Joe Watt Canyon trip reports on their site. Not sure it will get many more visits this summer, but it looks lush with flowers early summer (The Mounties did a vegetation survey there last weekend - my guess is that's a collaboration with WDFW too, so apparently WDFW has projects going on there). Areas like Whiskey Dick and Pipestone and Thorp in summer may very well disappoint any volunteers that might be ignorant of the summer conditions when they sign up. If they go into it knowing, 1) they're totally nuts and may be dangerous and 2) see 1. Not sure what hikers can do to steward boaters or how boaters will take it; but if water trails are now WTA's thing, vols will be trained. Apparently Washington Water Trails isn't in the partnership w/ WDFW. And finally...there's always the possibility that I am full of sh##, and volunteers will be crawling over themselves, and it will be a great success. But it all boils down to this: What the hell, it's worth a shot and no one else is doing it.