Forum Index > Trip Reports > Palisades, Little Ranger Peak, Ranger Creek Loop - 11.27.22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Nov 28, 2022 5:52 pm 
We hit the hiking jackpot with this loop off of 410 yesterday! Conditions were perfect and we saw nary a soul. We got to the Palisades pullout around 8 and were on trail by 8:30. There was no snow on the ground for the first section of the trail past Upper Dalles Creek falls.
Lower Dalles Creek falls.
The upper falls.
There is a set of slippery stairs in there! Once on the plateau the snow started to accumulate. We visited each lookout and enjoyed snowy views and chilly wind 🥶
Seasons greetings!
Looking towards the third viewpoint.
Heading up!
After we passed the third viewpoint we continued on to Little Ranger Peak and signed the register. The snow got deeper here but never deep enough to require traction. My summit photo came out blurry so please enjoy this “near summit” photo of ranger airport taken by my partner:
After Little Ranger we worked the ridge to connect with the Ranger Creek trail. Blowdowns were present but very manageable. About 3/4 of the way across the ridge we picked up some day old tracks coming up from Ranger Creek. Those helped us find our way to the trail junction.
The trickiest part of the day was descending from the trail junction into the Ranger Creek valley. There are a couple of nasty blow downs that have removed entire sections of trail in steep areas. Careful navigation did the trick and soon we were cruising down towards home.
Heaven! We did the last 1/4 mile in the dark to round out this day for a grand adventure. 😁

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Nancyann, Now I Fly, jstern, Bramble_Scramble, mosey, fourteen410, Lightning_bug, RichP  SpookyKite89
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message