Forum Index > Trail Talk > New loop trail at the upper Mailbox peak parking lot?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jm31828

jm31828
PostTue Nov 29, 2022 10:11 am 
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but wife, kids, and I were out hiking a couple of simple trails on the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River road last weekend, and drove up to the upper Mailbox Peak trailhead just for a moment and saw a sign for a new loop trail that starts out at the far end of the parking lot- and the trailhead was blocked saying it was still under construction. Does anyone know the name of this trail, or know anything about it? I should have taken a picture of the sign when I was there, but since it was pouring rain I didn't jump out and go take a look at it.

Fedor
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catsp

catsp
PostTue Nov 29, 2022 11:46 am 

rossb, Fedor
philfort

philfort
PostTue Nov 29, 2022 12:12 pm 
Nice, glad to see more trails in there. Looks like most of it is on some kind of old roadway, visible on google maps.

mosey

mosey
PostTue Nov 29, 2022 12:28 pm 
philfort wrote:
Nice, glad to see more trails in there. Looks like most of it is on some kind of old roadway, visible on google maps.
It's all very gentle logging roads that connect up from valley camp. Nothing special or scenic iirc but whatever gets people outdoors.

zimmertr
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 29, 2022 1:04 pm 
Not sure anyone will be able to use it. Someone taking their grandma for a stroll won't be able to find parking, and won't try again; well, at least I wouldn't. But they should at least try to add more trails, so I don't blame them for trying....

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 29, 2022 2:35 pm 
What I would like to see is a crossover from new to lower part of Old for descending. Lower part of Old trail is not that steep to that point and New trail is unnecessarily long even uphill at points.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

philfort
jm31828

jm31828
PostTue Nov 29, 2022 7:29 pm 
Thanks for the reply!! I agree, it's fantastic having more trails- but the absolute worst trailhead parking to be sharing, given the mess that this one is most of the time. However, on Friday when we were there with the rain falling, there were just a few cars- so I think if this was a trail that was open, we would have been inclined to go ahead and try it out. smile.gif

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:12 am 
It's a neat little loop with a couple very nice bridges. There is a short incomplete section through a wet spot that may be tricky for some folks (but probably not most). Nice stroll on a rainy midweek day. :-) The Granite Creek Connecter is also a pleasant hike and should work well for the young ones. I've heard that there is a plan to connect it to the Mailbox parking lots. More parking will certainly be needed.

jm31828

jm31828
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:19 am 
Now I Fly wrote:
It's a neat little loop with a couple very nice bridges. There is a short incomplete section through a wet spot that may be tricky for some folks (but probably not most). Nice stroll on a rainy midweek day. :-) The Granite Creek Connecter is also a pleasant hike and should work well for the young ones. I've heard that there is a plan to connect it to the Mailbox parking lots. More parking will certainly be needed.
Oh, I was wondering about Granite Creek- according to the WTA site, it's a pretty steep trail which I figured was a no-go for us given that my kids are pretty young. And on the loop trail in question here- thanks for the info! I think we'll have to try it out on a rainy winter day sometime after it opens. smile.gif

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:39 am 
Hope it comes with more parking! Weekday and offseason its a good use of available parking though.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:43 am 
jm31828 wrote:
I was wondering about Granite Creek- according to the WTA site, it's a pretty steep trail which I figured was a no-go for us given that my kids are pretty young.
The newly named "connector trail" is actually the original GC "trail" that utilizes the old logging road up the valley. So not very steep. The new shorter and steeper trail which starts near the concrete bridge and "connects" up with the original Granite Creek trail is now named the "Granite Creek trail". So a bit of a confusing name-swap for those who used the original path prior to construction of the new trail.

jm31828

jm31828
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:47 am 
JonnyQuest wrote:
jm31828 wrote:
I was wondering about Granite Creek- according to the WTA site, it's a pretty steep trail which I figured was a no-go for us given that my kids are pretty young.
The newly named "connector trail" is actually the original GC "trail" that utilizes the old logging road up the valley. So not very steep. The new shorter and steeper trail which starts near the concrete bridge and "connects" up with the original Granite Creek trail is now named the "Granite Creek trail". Go figure...
Ah, I didn't know that- thanks for sharing!

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:56 am 
"Parking for this trail is overcrowded. We need to cut down trees and pave a new parking lot." Cuts down trees and paves parking lot. "Hey, since we got this new lot, let's build a new, short, limited appeal trail." "But the new lot is already overcrowded because you already built a new trail." "I know, but I'm sure if we build another new trail it will magically relieve the overcrowding. PS- we already don't have enough budget to maintain the trail and parking infrastructure that we currently have, so that same magic allows us to add infrastructure and maintain it with the already inadequate budget."

If not now, when?
uww

uww
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 10:15 am 
Kudos on them for making the Mailbox Peak parking experience available to those with no time, desire, or ability to make to to the top. They should put a mailbox by the information board for selfies.

Bramble_Scramble
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Dec 02, 2022 1:48 am 
Work on completing this trail has been stalled since the summer of 2021 because of quirks with the biennium funding cycle. All that's left is a 60' boardwalk to get through the wet area that Now Fly referenced. The DNR hoped to use a WCC crew to finish it this year, but that obviously didn't happen.