Forum Index > Trail Talk > Favorite saws for trail work?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:43 am 
I came across a volunteer DNR trail crew on Tiger last weekend. They were clearing blowdown from the Lingering, Dwight's and Preston trails. They did a great job clearing many larger trees.
They had some impressive larger folding saws, with possibly three foot (+) long blades. I'd like to invest in one and was wondering if people had a favorite. I've carried a Silky F180 (7.5") for a few years and love it for small work. I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks, Brian

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:46 am 
The Katana Boy by Silky can't be beat. It can take on some bigger trees and folds nicely for carrying. I use the 500 but there are bigger ones. I would bet these are the saws you saw the crew using.

vibramhead, RumiDude, Now I Fly
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 10:11 am 
Second the Katana Boy. Last time I looked there was a 1000 model but it was not sold in the US. That was a few years back. Just be aware that you are likely going to need wedges working on bigger stuff. Chain saw wedges are often too thick on the sharp end to get into the kerf of a hand saw. Also, never start sawing on something without an ax or another saw available in case the log closes and keeps your blade. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Now I Fly
bertman

bertman
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 11:17 am 
WTA and PCTA use Katana Boys, usually with the XL teeth. Please be aware as the size goes up, so does the danger. And technically cutting logs on federal property is not allowed unless you are part of a trail crew. I carry my small Corona saw to cut stobs off of large logs to make passage easier but stay away actual logs unless it's smaller than my wrist in size and in a relatively safe situation. If you are really serious about this, please consider volunteering becoming a certified sawyer either through WTA or PCTA or BCHWA.

Now I Fly, RumiDude
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 11:29 am 
this one is pretty nice. light. fast. not real spendy.
Bahco pruning saw
Bahco pruning saw
Bahco pruning saw
Bahco pruning saw

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Now I Fly
hearingjd

hearingjd
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 4:22 pm 
I have a Silky BigBoy, a 14" folding, which I find is about the perfect size for smaller trail jobs... https://silkysaws.com/silky-bigboy-2000-folding-saw/

Hiker John

vibramhead, call-151, Now I Fly, IanB
rossb

rossb
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 4:39 pm 
Yeah, Silky seems to be the standard used by most folks. I have a small folding one that I throw in my pack that I use if I run across an unexpected blowdown. Even if I can't get the main log, I can get the branches, which makes a a big difference. I even bought a very lightweight handle to replace the standard one. This was made by someone on Backpacking Light (using a 3-D printer). The weight savings don't matter if it is in my pack, but they do when it is in my pocket. It is just a lot more comfortable. But there are also a lot decent saws out there found at a typical hardware store. These will definitely do the job.

mosey, Now I Fly
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 30, 2022 5:43 pm 
I have a Canadian imitation of a Sven saw under the back seat of the truck with a 20” blade it works pretty well foe up to 10” or so. Also have a 20” axe and a Wally’s world trench shovel.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Now I Fly
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 12:30 am 
bertman wrote:
And technically cutting logs on federal property is not allowed unless you are part of a trail crew.
I believe it.
bertman wrote:
Please be aware as the size goes up, so does the danger.
Great reminder and it doesn't have to be big to be deadly. I knew a guy with an FS logout contract on the east side. Intelligent, experienced, and safety conscious, he was momentarily negligent about a hazard and was struck in the face by a small springback. Broke his eye socket, his cheek bone, and his hard palate in several places. Long walk out by himself (he was working alone) with the bones crunching together, months of surgery and recovery, and some interesting titanium inserts holding things together. Very lucky man in a couple of respects. But about saws. This is my favorite little saw:
Japanese and so cuts on the draw stroke. Scary sharp and fast cutting, I don't even take it out of the scabbard with out a heavy glove on. And this is my go-to when the wood is bigger:
A little underpowered for 28" but it saves bending over. This is only very slightly a troll. When your're out there in the wilderness and the Navy goes by so close you can wave to the pilot I see no sense in grinding away with a nineteenth century single buck in the name of preserving any fantasy of an umechanized wilderness experience. Sorry, I understand the intent, but hand tool logouts of bigger wood are just plain dumb.

lopper, Carbonj, mike, RichP, Now I Fly  Ski
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 8:59 am 
bertman wrote:
And technically cutting logs on federal property is not allowed unless you are part of a trail crew.
Really? Then firewood cut for campfires would be illegal, cutting a tree out of a road would be illegal, etc. Also, trails and roads would be filled with downed treees. Mayhem would result. Do you know of any tickets being given out? I sure don't. On motorized trails right after the snow melts in the Randle area, the local and nonlocal riders will strap a chainsaw to their dirtbikes and open up trails. No big organization to deal with--see a tree in the trail, cut it out. One guy who does that is a hell of a production timber faller. The FS knows this goes on. And trails might not be opened in ways that meet standards and guidelines, but they are opened so a hiker can get through or in the above case, hikers and bikers. There are standards and guidelines for cutting open trails. I appreciate it when the limbs are hacked off with stobs cut flat so thighs don't get bruised when clambering over. That's a good start. Back to the saws, the best one is the one you like to use. Plastic wedges can be ground down if they won't fit or you can use native materials if in a pinch (pun intended). Another question is what is the maximum sized log you are comfy in cutting safely? I felt more comfy using my chainsaw because it was less stressful for me. I knew how to file the chain so there was no fear of sawing a bit of dirt. There's no beating a chainsaw for non-wilderness, but packing one is problematic and it is good to have a pack dog along to help. A battery powered saw might be handy (I've never run one) if you want to pack it and don't have a lot of stuff to cut. I was impressed with the Ketanaboy also, but didn't want to use it for fear of dulling the blade. Saws That Sing

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 11:15 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Saws That Sing
This looks like a great read! Thanks for posting it!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 12:12 pm 
catsp wrote:
18 U.S. Code § 1853 - Trees cut or injured Tree Cutting Firewood Permits
bertman wrote:
Cite?
We are not talking about falling trees, or removing a forest product. We are discussing opening up trails and cutting dead trees that have fallen across a trail or road, and tossing the chunks out of the way. No removal off FS land. We are not discussing Christmas trees, or firewood. Both are removed from the forest and that's more of a big deal. Now, if you wanted to take home your blowdown, you'd need to have a permit, and abide by all the rules which differ from forest to forest. But, since most of us are merely cutting a trail open, no harm done and common sense should prevail. Lord protect us from zealots! One of my few times working with WTA, saw a woman tell a teenager that he could not take a chunk of wood home with him because it was forbidden. The piece was about 12 inches long and 4 inches in diameter and he merely wanted a souvenir of his first chunk cut using a pulaski. I really, really wish I'd spoken up or picked up the piece and packed it out for him. She deflated his day.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

RumiDude, dave allyn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 01, 2022 12:19 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Saws That Sing
This looks like a great read! Thanks for posting it!
You are welcome. Be sure to study up on binds and compression and all that. That's the stuff that hurts if you misjudge it. I've been knocked on my bottom by a smallish bit of blowdown. It knocked the chainsaw out of my hands too. Then there is alder. Alder is vicious. Alder hates us. Respect alder!

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostFri Dec 02, 2022 7:31 am 
I've got the silky gomboy with an 8" blade. Cuts 5" stuff easily. I was looking at the rest of their saws a couple months ago. The Katana 1000 has a 39" (1 meter) blade. $1000

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Dec 02, 2022 7:51 am 
Here's a bit more information on becoming a card-carrying Sawyer. https://www.fs.usda.gov/managing-land/trails/trail-management-tools/national-saw-program