Forum Index > Trip Reports > Maze District UTAH
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostTue Dec 06, 2022 5:06 pm 
I'm always bad at sharing summer trip reports, but I thought I'd share this one with those friends on here who may be interested in Utah. This is a story about the Maze District. While it's a great hike, I've enjoyed dozens of similarly amazing adventures down there. This one is special because it's so remote and logistically challenging. Also there's just so little info on the region.
Intro: Each autumn I am called to the Southwest. It’s my recharge. My time to escape cell phones, breaking news and social media. My way of finding that electricity I need to power myself, rather than being, too often, shocked by the way the aforementioned outlets wish me to view the world. When I’m in the desert, Nature is my social network. Tracks in the sand of a great battle between bird and mouse, ghoulish shadows cast by moonlight across 300 foot high cliffs and of a perfect spring gurgling out from the earth–those are my push notifications, and pictographs are the only walls I’m reading. ...the rest of the story is here: https://www.jasonhummelphotography.com/2022/11/19/a-mazed-in-utahs-maze-district/ While I'd love to add it all on here, it's over a 100 images. For those that like my stories, I hope you enjoy.

Trip Reports | FACEBOOK

Brushbuffalo, Matt, sooperfly, zimmertr, RAW-dad, ancient_squirrel, yukon222, bivouacjack, Get Out and Go, jstern, Kascadia, Nancyann, Prosit, Tom, Sculpin, graywolf, Waterman, Now I Fly, dave allyn  SpookyKite89, Ski, rubywrangler, awilsondc  GaliWalker  Slim, KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Dec 06, 2022 7:11 pm 
Wow, that is a brilliant report on a favorite place on this Earth! Thank you so much for sharing this trip with us! Here's to healing the soul!

Prosit

Prosit
PostTue Dec 06, 2022 9:16 pm 
Thanks for sharing this one Jason. Traveling through the Maze is fantastic, and your expressive photos and storytelling take me there with a renewed longing for that big, quiet land. The picture of the animal tracks is exquisite.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 06, 2022 11:54 pm 
Always wanted to go there, we have gone to Horseshoe Canyon/Grand gallery a few times but never made it deep into the maze. Weather and road conditions were the problem along with caution. Lack of good maps and GOS signals were problematic. Kudos😘

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Jason Hummel
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 12:32 am 
Wow, great read and what an adventure!
How could you not highlight this one?
How could you not highlight this one?

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Jason Hummel
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 7:33 am 
Spectacular TR on a spectacular place! I think the Maze sits at the top of my list of unfinished business. My only visit was via the one easy route, up Water Canyon from boats on the Green River. The photos are awesome, I never get many good ones partly because of the stark contrasts in the desert in the middle of the day (and partly because at this point I just have to admit that I am not that talented. wink.gif )

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 10:05 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
we have gone to Horseshoe Canyon/Grand gallery a few times but never made it deep into the maze.
That is such an amazing zone, too. I've been there several times while canyoneering Blue John Canyon. That's a worthy trip, but definitely a squeeze here and there. This was some 8 years ago:

Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 10:11 am 
Sculpin wrote:
I think the Maze sits at the top of my list of unfinished business
If you need ideas, I'm always happy to help. It's a cool zone, as are so many in Utah. It's amazing how diverse canyon country can be!

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 10:44 am 
Oh boy. I am humbled and inspired by the consistent quality of your photos.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 5:34 pm 
Spectacular. Looks like I am going to follow you again!

Art is an adventure.
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostWed Dec 07, 2022 6:34 pm 
Excellent report and photos, Jason. Kudos.

Silas

Silas
PostThu Dec 08, 2022 11:45 am 
Thank you for these photos and the trip report. Really captures the essence of the Maze. We have been there 4-5 times in the last couple of years and leave always wanting more. Last time we were there, we spent a good amount of time in the Fins, so props for getting out there. Not a lot of people do. I remember spending hours trying to find an exit from whatever canyon heads north from the Fins to up near Chimney Rock, I think. Another time we were floating down the Green and hiked a few miles away from camp. Found an old granary with tons of cobbs and some shards left from an old pot; must have been hundreds of years old. The entire place is hard to get to, but well worth it. Thanks again.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu Dec 08, 2022 12:07 pm 
Thank you for the wonderful pictures and report. So inspiring !! I did a 5 day supported mountain bike trip to the Maze with this outfit and have always wanted to get back there. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

Jason Hummel
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 10:39 am 
Slim wrote:
I did a 5 day supported mountain bike trip to the Maze
Very cool. When I did a scout to the Dollhouse, I saw some folks doing a variation of this trip where they brought their bikes and packrafts, and continued beyond the maze to another river. Quite the adventure! I'd really like to do some packraft adventures down there at some point, especially now that I have a boat.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 12:49 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
My only visit was via the one easy route, up Water Canyon from boats on the Green River.
----the true easy routes are jeeping to the trailheads on the rim! I really, really enjoyed the report and photos Jason. I commented on your site.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.