Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kelcema Lake and lost dog on MLH-update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostTue Dec 13, 2022 5:50 pm 
I hiked with Roly Poly on Sunday when we first saw the dogs. I'm posting this on her behalf and on behalf of the two different rescue groups that went out to help them. The dogs were found today, secure on a porch near Silverton, so apparently that is their home. My personal comment - it's sad that so many people spent all their time on something the dogs' owners should have been doing. I suspect the owners haven't broken any laws, but perhaps the USFS or Sheriff can at least knock on their door and let them know what was happening. This is apparently not the first time these dogs have been seen running around on the Mountain Loop Highway, according to some comments on WTA. Thank you to Roly Poly and all the other people who spent their time and energy trying to help the dogs!

Cam, RichP, Now I Fly  Anne Elk, rubywrangler, fourteen410  HikingBex
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Dec 13, 2022 6:05 pm 
ALW Hiker wrote:
Thank you to Roly Poly and all the other people who spent their time and energy trying to help the dogs!
Yes, indeed. This has been very worrying to many of us. Roly Poly went above and beyond to rescue these dogs from a miserable winter's night or two on their own. Thank you ALW for bringing the good news and update. ~z

Roly Poly
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Dec 13, 2022 6:10 pm 
So glad to hear they are safe. We were just getting ready to head out to Deer Creek, so thank you for the update.

Roly Poly
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Dec 13, 2022 6:36 pm 
Just got back home from visiting the winter end of Mountain Loop Highway where I didn’t see the dogs of course. Glad to know they are back home safely.

Roly Poly
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Dec 13, 2022 8:03 pm 
Ryan Martin is a FS Marshall out on the loop, might have been him, he is a great guy and takes his job very seriously, and is also very fair, sounds like it might have been him assisting with the dog recovery.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

ALW Hiker, Roly Poly
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 7:39 am 
It's 5 miles from Silverton to Kelcema Lake trailhead Country dogs doing what country dogs do! Relax folks!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 8:35 am 
There is a leash law for unincorporated Snohomish County. So, there could be some minor consequences for the owner if someone pushed for this. https://snohomishcountywa.gov/2746/37750/Animal-Services#:~:text=Leash%20Law,030. Everyone that tried to help is awesome.

Anne Elk
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 10:13 am 
Not directing this question to you directly, but curious to know how many people who practice, support, or encourage off leash dogs @ trailheads and on trails, support County leash laws. Yes I'm being argumentative. These dogs owners may have lived on or near the MLH their entire lives. Have had dog companions their entire lives. Have never fenced their dogs. Sit down for this next comment... Don't allow their dogs inside ( Gasp!!! ) Have always allowed their dogs to roam. Alot of dog owners do this in very rural areas. Anyway, keep feeding these dogs there @ the trailhead, and see what happens

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 10:26 am 
FWIW: I did a 5 day hut ski tour in British Columbia a few years ago. The trailhead is adjacent to some houses. At the trailhead we were greeted by a pair of large friendly dogs that appeared to be some sort of mixed breed that include malmute. They followed us six miles to the hut. They hung out around the hut for three days , sleeping outside on the snow and being fed left overs by other hut users. They could not be lured into the hut, despite repeated efforts by other hut users concerned that the dogs would get cold sleeping outside. When the group of other hut users that had been feeding them leftovers headed out , the dogs followed them out. When we returned to the trailhead, they came out from one of the houses and greeted us again. We waved at a human at the house. Some dogs strongly prefer human food leftovers over kibble.

huron

huron
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 am 
Dogs are not wild animals. Setting aside leash laws and rural vs urban pet practices, we can probably all agree that the welfare of both the animal and of people using trails is the primary concern. People DO abandon and neglect pets. They also leave them uncontrolled to the point where they cause others trouble. This owner was negligent in that regard and should not own a dog.

Anne Elk, fourteen410, kitya
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 11:47 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Not directing this question to you directly, but curious to know how many people who practice, support, or encourage off leash dogs @ trailheads and on trails, support County leash laws. Yes I'm being argumentative. These dogs owners may have lived on or near the MLH their entire lives. Have had dog companions their entire lives. Have never fenced their dogs. Sit down for this next comment... Don't allow their dogs inside ( Gasp!!! ) Have always allowed their dogs to roam. Alot of dog owners do this in very rural areas. Anyway, keep feeding these dogs there @ the trailhead, and see what happens
True. A good example is a Great Pyrenees, they will sometimes be gone for days chasing down a coyote....I was returning home from Idaho once and there was a GP and her two pups waiting to cross I-90....my daughter was so mad that I didn't stop and try to rescue them. There were farmhouses with a half mile of them. Probably on a training mission. As to the dog on Deer creek road, the nearest residences are at Silverton and there are a few year around residents, but I would think it unlikely that they would let their dogs run up and down the highway. So the owners were found, where did they live?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 11:47 am 
One day on the way home from the mountain loop this summer a giant dog jumped out in front of my car. Husky looking pup. I stopped to see what was up and he jumped into my car, much to the chagrin of my own dog. When I looked at him, he had a collar that just said something like “mountain loop highway, do not take me”. I tried to lure him onto some property because we were right on a turn in the road and if I almost hit him, someone else surely would. Finally an annoyed neighbor came out and said she knew who owned the dog and would watch him. Gotta love the mountain loop.

huron

huron
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 12:58 pm 
Sounds like there is disagreement about the ethics of freee range dogs. I'm not a fan of leash laws and agree that there is a difference between the size of a dog's range urban vs rural, but if a dog is running in a road a distance from its home and without owner supervision, there is certainly danger for both the dog and a driver. I wouldn't hesitate to turn one in to a shelter or animal control if found, particularly if it has no owner ID.

Anne Elk
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 3:51 pm 
There are a couple of posted signs on the Teanaway North Fork Rd. Lots of big properties there "Slow. Dog X ing" "Caution. Dog X ing" If you are driving down that road and hit a dog, you the driver, are being very careless & irresponsible Those property owners have no obligation to you to leash or fence their dogs. My Brother has a long driveway off McNeil Canyon Road. 13 acres. McNeil Canyon has its fair share of auto traffic. He has 2 dog companions that he allows to roam freely. They are not allowed inside the house. They ate not allowed inside the cab of thr truck. They jump into the bed of the truck unrestrained. Let's them chase deer, coyotes, foxes & rabbits. Alot of the time he doesn't even know where they are. A sharp whistle always brings them home. Both dogs got into trouble with a juvenile cougar one time & 1 got bit by a rattlesnake. Suffered for a couple days and then returned to normal activity. My brother loves his dogs. They are kind and gentle but they are tough! This is very common practice for dog owners who live in rural areas. This is what country dogs do.

mosey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 14, 2022 4:34 pm 
My grandpa in ND would not allow any animals in the house. We had a couple of barn cats and once in a while one would sneak inside. He would toss them outside head over heels while cussing the entire time. We had a German Shepherd dog and my parents would wait until they thought he was asleep and sneak him inside and into their upstairs bedroom, gramps slept downstairs. I mean in winter 30 below zero is common there, if one doesn't want a pet indoors then they should not have one in that environment.