Forum Index > Trail Talk > MORA Skyline Trail Improvement
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Feb 14, 2023 4:23 pm 
From the NPS website dated Sep 30, 2022: Last week Mount Rainier National Park’s Longmire Trail Crew completed a three-year project to reroute a section of the Skyline Trail at Paradise at Marmot Hill. This one-third mile reroute eliminates a rough section of trail that was unsafe, unsightly, and not worthy of the world-class destination that is Paradise. A tremendous amount of labor was involved in the construction of this reroute over three summers. The result is a six-foot wide path to accommodate the high visitor use, with easy 6-7 inch check steps to accommodate the many different user groups that hike the Skyline Trail. The Skyline Trail is a historic trail and the crew maintained the historic integrity by installing split cedar check steps and rock lining that exists throughout the trail. The skills required and attention to detail needed to accomplish such a project is only possible with the support for professional trail crews that exists within the National Park Service. The old section of Skyline Trail will be rehabilitated as part of the subalpine meadows. I checked out the new section on Oct 4 and filmed utilizing a GoPro Max on a long pole. (for some reason the site is not taking the embed code) https://vimeo.com/798935460

I desire medium danger williswall.com

peter707, Now I Fly, vogtski
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message