Forum Index > Trail Talk > Terror Basin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sub4not
The Dude

Sub4not
The Dude
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 4:29 am 
I am a strong hiker, live in Ga. Done lots in PNW and want to visit Terror Basin in late July. Not a climber, but fine with scramble. Can I spend 2 nights up there and explore some without ropes? I have ice gear no problem. Did the approach to Colonial Glacier a few years back- ass kicker for sure. Terror Basin is on my list. Thanks!

“Think of yourself as dead. You have lived your life. Now, take what's left and live it properly. What doesn't transmit light creates its own darkness.”
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 8:42 am 
I’ll let the real climbers chime in here too… My understanding is that the tricky part of Terror Basin (provided you aren’t doing any climbing beyond exploring the basin and camping) is getting in there. The approach is a steep, direct climb and there is a steep snowfield to navigate at the saddle into the basin.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Sub4not
The Dude

Sub4not
The Dude
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 10:27 am 
Thanks. Yea, the approach will be work but I am ok with that part. Wondered if can scramble some of spires or the lake area below(topo show steep into lake). Would stay a 2nd night if enough scrambling available!

“Think of yourself as dead. You have lived your life. Now, take what's left and live it properly. What doesn't transmit light creates its own darkness.”
neek

neek
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 11:16 am 
Yeah, that final loose cruddy descent is the crux of getting into the basin. It would probably be better in July if there's still snow. McMillan Spire (plenty of info online) is not technical, also Glee Peak. Getting to Azure Lake from there would be quite an accomplishment. Hope you're able to get a permit.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 1:17 pm 
Not really relevant for a July trip, but I saw this recent report on an attempt at Glee Pk on peakbagger. I assume this is coming up Goodell Ck. https://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=2119555