Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite Creek-North Web-Web-Granite Lakes Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 5:46 pm 
A few years back I joined Puzzlr on a trip from the DHPT, crossing the lowest point of Coincidence Ridge and dropping down to Upper Granite Lake https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8031470 . About the same time I got to scramble North Web from Dirty Harry's bathtub (?). We did the traverse to Web, then continued along Banana Ridge. I'd been thinking that maybe doing North Web from Thompson Lake Pass, traversing to Web, then back to Granite Lake via the Coincidence Ridge route sounded like a good loop. Yesterday's stellar weather and NWAC's forecast of 'Low' avy danger' set up nicely for this adventure. Started up Granite Creek around 7:30.
Followed the trail to Thompson Point for a distance, then took off xc for a more direct line to the pass.
Once at the pass, I closely followed the ridge to the south. I found the easiest traveling on the east side. Bit of veggie pushing and few rocky sections to maneuver around. There was good traveling snow, and I was in crampons, with axe in hand.
Before long the ridge broadens, and options open up. There are a few cliffs to traverse around and, once again, a few options.
=
=
Eventually the summit shows itself.
After climbing on the right side most of the way I crossed left, and into the trees.
That worked well and in no time (and a short steep pitch in bomber snow) I popped out on the ridge.
Time to run the ridge to Web. That's not that much fun. Brushy and a few rocky sections to deal with. Fortunately, there was decent traveling snow.
Soon tagged Web.
Looking back at North Web.
Now to descend down to Harry's bathtub, and lower Coincidence Ridge.
Harry's Bathtub
Once again I'll refer to, https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8031470
It was nice to hit the Upper Granite Lake. I knew there would be a track on the far side, which I took. In the end I only needed the headlamp for twenty minutes.
10.5 Miles +/- 4,600 ft. elevation gain +/- 10 hours, 40 minutes. Elapsed Time Fun day. Cheers B!

yoko, ALW Hiker, mosey, jaysway, Fedor, yukon222, RichP, Tom, fourteen410, zimmertr, Bramble_Scramble, Kascadia, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 10:49 pm 
Wow, big day and big effort all by yourself! I've looked at that line from the Thompson Lake pass to North Web often. You beat me to it.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 7:15 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Wow, big day and big effort all by yourself! I've looked at that line from the Thompson Lake pass to North Web often. You beat me to it.
The funny thing was I told my wife I was going to do the Winter Rt. on Granite, then changed my mind while I was driving. dizzy.gif

Type E

Type E
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 4:50 pm 
Even I broke out the boots this week, starting to feel the pull of the hills again. Looking at the pictures of your steps in the snow is only making that pull stronger. E

Please follow me at: http://alpinelakesaficionado.blogspot.com/

RichP, Now I Fly
Fedor

Fedor
PostThu Feb 02, 2023 9:28 pm 
Thanks for all of your inspiring trip reports. I did an approximation of that route last summer. I'd be too intimidated to attempt it in winter. The ridge up to North Web was steep and challenging scrambling for me. My headlamp stopped working, so I descended from the bathtub down to upper Granite Lake with my cell phone light. Trying to down climb rocks and use veggie belays with one hand sure was tough. Such a relief to get back on proper trail that night. https://caltopo.com/t/J10P9FHTEM

Now I Fly, zimmertr
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 10:54 am 
Fedor wrote:
Trying to down climb rocks and use veggie belays with one hand sure was tough. Such a relief to get back on proper trail that night.
Wow! You showed some true grit and tenacity.! Well done! Must have been plenty of boulders on your decent from Web! Also, I see from your track you went down the north side of Granite Creek. I kept to the south side of it. (as per when I did it with Puzzlr).

Fedor
Fedor

Fedor
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 5:38 am 
Now I Fly wrote:
Must have been plenty of boulders on your decent from Web!
The talus field was easy to hop down. Rocks in and alongside the creek would have been much easier to scramble down with a headlamp and two free hands. Don't know why I thought following the creek down would be the best option. It started off well enough. I had tentatively planned on descending the east ridge of North Web to Thompson-Defiance trail rather than running the ridge all the way to Web proper. I spontaneously changed plans as the sun was setting.

Now I Fly