Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is there a limit to how many dogs you can walk off leash in unincorporated Snohomish County?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 11:12 am 
Huron wrote:
The rule doesn't seem to be enforced or make a difference tho
The paid parking doesn't seem to be enforced either. A quick survey of car windshields in the dog lot shows very few parking receipts. Enforcement of the paid dog walker rule seems problematic. Can't a person just say "they are all mine" the dogs aren't going to contradict them.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 12:30 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
just pointing out this will turn into the usual dog hating thread
Of all the "unleashed dog" threads and comments I've read here, I don't think I've ever come to the conclusion that folks here hate dogs. For me, I've had alot of frustration ( and comments) with the dog's human companions and / or their handlers. "My dog ( s ) is / are different, therefore the rules apply to everyone else except me" Dog's aren't stupid & evil. People are BTW, just got back from vacation. Lots of signage @ the beaches and beach bar restaurants "No Pets!" And guess what? We didn't see any pets. It was so nice!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 9:08 pm 
That's Mo Mountain Mutts from Skagway! They've gone viral! The story: Skagway dog bus an internet sensation MMM's YouTube page These people aren't just dog walkers, that's for sure. Don't miss the "shorts" on that page - so funny.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

CS
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Jan 14, 2023 2:19 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Of all the "unleashed dog" threads and comments I've read here, I don't think I've ever come to the conclusion that folks here hate dogs. For me, I've had alot of frustration ( and comments) with the dog's human companions and / or their handlers. "My dog ( s ) is / are different, therefore the rules apply to everyone else except me" Dog's aren't stupid & evil. People are
Yea Context is everything. I love me some trumpet music, but in it's appropriate context. Same applies to almost anything one does, including backpacking. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Jan 15, 2023 8:41 am 
Sniffspot seems to be a new trend to allow people with dogs to let them run without going to a dog park. https://www.sniffspot.com/ Treeswarper, I love your posts!😊

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 15, 2023 10:23 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
Sniffspot seems to be a new trend to allow people with dogs to let them run without going to a dog park. https://www.sniffspot.com/ Treeswarper, I love your posts!😊
What a cool side hustle if you have a fenced yard. I wonder if there is also a related "ZooDoo" type operation.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostSun Jan 15, 2023 12:05 pm 
Tee Hee. I do not have a dog in this fight, but... In my high school contemporary problems class way back in the last century (do they teach that anymore?), we were taught that the largest percentage ever voter turnout in the City of Seattle was the year that a dog leash law was on the ballot. I believe it. I am going to open an off-leash junkyard, where dogs in danger of becoming sissies can develop grit, resolve and strut their stuff. Watch for it, coming to a gentrified neighborhood near you. That is all.

Nancyann  Roly Poly, Anne Elk
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Jan 15, 2023 1:18 pm 
Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and opinions on this thread, it has been very educational! I especially enjoyed the Skagway doggie school bus video, pretty amazing. Not one dog was even throwing spitwads!

Anne Elk
kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Jan 15, 2023 5:24 pm 
Unincorporated SnoCo has a leash law: https://snohomish.county.codes/SCC/9.14 Nancyann, do you know the business name? If so, report them to SnoCo animal control. If you know the business name you could leave a bad Yelp review. This may sound silly or vindictive, but honestly, if I were a potential client, I'd want to know they took dogs off leash in a public area and did not have control of the dogs, and allowed them to harass people. No way would I hire them.
Quote:
Cyclopath wrote: I use a licensed and insured sitter This new learning amazes me, I was unaware that the state of Washington or any county or city was issuing licenses for "dog sitters" The state licenses "child care" facilities for human children. Can you provide a link? General business liability insurance is a good thing.
When dog walkers or sitters say they are licensed they mean they have a business license. So you know they are legit and pay their taxes, and possibly have insurance. There's no other kind of license for them.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostSun Jan 15, 2023 7:02 pm 
kiliki wrote:
When dog walkers or sitters say they are licensed they mean they have a business license. So you know they are legit and pay their taxes, and possibly have insurance. There's no other kind of license for them.
Not necessarily particularly if any of the business activity takes place on the business owner's premises. https://snohomishcountywa.gov/5825/76293/License-a-Kennel-or-Animal-Business

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 16, 2023 8:23 am 
Kennel licenses are a good regulation. However they cover housing furballs on the holder's private property. So not exactly a license to walk for hire dogs on public property.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostMon Jan 16, 2023 2:09 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'm on team cat. smile.gif
Same here. But I don't own my cat, she kind of owns me.

MtnManic, Cyclopath, Anne Elk  RumiDude
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 11:58 am 
Maybe they make a lot of money for walking the dogs. Probably not as much as these, over $100,000 per year, but still lots of cash. More dogs, more cash. Who cares if they are violating a statute or regulation if it means more money in their pocket? And even if they were cited and had to pay an occasional fine, which is not likely in our thread's circumstances, it might only be considered part of the cost of doing business. Obviously I am being kinda cynical with my statement, but maybe not far off the mark. NOTE: The original article is from The New York Times but I found this in Yahoo. It quite possibly is edited down from the original. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 9:28 pm 
I rarely have my dog on a leash when hiking unless it's on a trail that requires it. Rarely do I go on that type of trail and on the trails I go on there's very little if any people. I however always have my dog on an e collar to control hit actions. My dog is usually in the brush just off the trail. I always sense alot of animosity towards dogs on here mostly the dog poop and dog poop bags. It usually appears to be from non dog owners. The "dog owners don't realize the damage caused to wildlife by dogs off leash" krap doesn't cut it. My dog is a bird hunting dog and we hunt. Predators cause 10 fold more damage to wild life than an off leash demosticated dog so that statement doesn't have merit. I am sure to get some hateful comments but have broad shoulders.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 9:36 pm 
I love all animals. Especially a loyal goofy playful loveable dog. What I don't really enjoy is when an off leash dog chases me or guards a trail menacingly while their owner is absent mindedly 100' away. Fortunately these are rare experiences. Unfortunately it seems that the dogs that guard trails are often breeds that could probably maim or kill me. And their owners usually act like I'm a jerk when I shout to them to call their animal. Like the woman who frequently walks her German Shepherd near Coal Creek. Or the man who called me a "Karen" when his Pitbull threatened me in Discovery Park. Poop bags suck but that's a human problem not a dog problem.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath, MtnManic, Gil, Bramble_Scramble, Now I Fly