Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Apple watch calling 911 on skiers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 16, 2023 11:17 am 
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/apple-watches-spur-dramatic-increase-in-911-calls-from-ski-resort/ Skiers and snowboarders carrying Apple Watches have triggered a “dramatic increase in unintentional 911 calls,” according to the Bonner County, Idaho, Sheriff’s Office. “Last Saturday, nearly 30% of our 911 calls were unintentional 911 calls from people enjoying activities on Schweitzer Mountain,” the Sheriff’s Office said in a Facebook post Thursday.

Josh Journey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Jan 16, 2023 12:57 pm 
I suppose the new brave world is: if you want fancy tech, you're going to need some fancy technique to go with it. Don't fall. And especially don't fall for the Apple!

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Jan 16, 2023 3:20 pm 
I can't wait for the massive increase in SAR calls once the "Help ME!" feature of the new Iphone goes into general use. Inreach or SPOT type devices will become useless as SAR is inundated with accidental or really stupid emergency locator activations

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostMon Jan 16, 2023 4:43 pm 
Josh Lewis wrote:
And especially don't fall for the Apple!
A revolution the likes of which hasn't been seen since Galileo dropped the orange.

zimmertr
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jan 16, 2023 5:30 pm 
FiveNines wrote:
Josh Lewis wrote:
And especially don't fall for the Apple!
A revolution the likes of which hasn't been seen since Galileo dropped the orange.
Well, what about if the Swallow drops the coconuts.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Anne Elk
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 16, 2023 8:11 pm 
Apple Watch, and I guess phone too, have "fall detection" which is honestly something I would love to get for my 72 year old mom. It recognizes impact and makes a noise and shows a count down on the screen, and will call for help for you if you don't dismiss it. It's easy to tell it you don't need help, and it's easy to turn the feature off.

seawallrunner
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 2:59 pm 
kbatku wrote:
Inreach or SPOT type devices will become useless as SAR is inundated with accidental or really stupid emergency locator activations
I follow a slack group that includes a number of backcountry first responders. One of them mentioned about the stupid 911 calls that already originate from people with inReach devices.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 5:52 pm 
We finally got to use the SOS feature on our InReach a couple months ago. We found a deceased person in a pretty remote region. Oy, that was a strange day. Anyway, the process was pretty good (partly because we had great sky coverage). Within minutes we were "texting" the National Park law enforcement, after Garmin passed our case onto them. Then again, in the Olympics in a forested valley, we couldn't send out a "we're ok" signal after 45 minutes of trying.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jan 19, 2023 12:33 am 
These new hi tech devices have a mind of their own!!!!! These devices are achieving thought. It is highly unpredictable what they will do. The buttons almost don't mean anything anymore. You never know what's gonna happen once you push them!!! Sometimes you're thinkin it's gonna open up the internet and all of a sudden you're in a text with 85 other people!!!!! Utter chaos on these phones!!!

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:55 am 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 10:28 am 
Joey wrote:
Apple needs to fix this. https://dnyuz.com/2023/02/03/my-watch-thinks-im-dead-2/
I doubt it's possible to get 100% right, and this has already saved lives so shouldn't be abandoned. People who buy and use Apple Watches have some responsibility in this, they need to learn how their watch works and either disable this feature when they ski or tell the watch they don't need emergency services when it goes off. It tells you what it's about to do, you have to ignore it for this to happen.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:29 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I would love to get for my 72 year old mom.
IDK , my parents are gone now. My dad showed a lot of interest in my older sisters iPhones when they visited from Anchorage. To the point that they bought him one , but he never figured out how to keep it charged. He was a sharp engineer in his day, but learning news skills in your 80s is trickier. My mom had Parkinsons and had a summon help pendant as part of her care package at the assisted living facility we moved them too. When she fell (which happened a half dozen times) , she would never press the call for help button. She would get my dad to call me using their landline and ask me to come over and help her up. She didn't want to bother the caregivers.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 12:09 pm 
It really depends on the older person's condition. If you are blessed with an aging parent who still has their wits about them. Count your blessings. Dealing with an aging relative with physical limitations is still difficult, but when their mind is failing instead or as well it add complications, both in terms of their care and the range of emotions that one experiences.

Malachai Constant
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 12:33 pm 
Simple fix. Default setting is disabled, people should have to go and enable it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 12:50 pm 
JimmyBob wrote:
Simple fix. Default setting is disabled, people should have to go and enable it.
Over 100 million people wear Apple Watches. The vast majority of them aren't having this problem. There's no reason to turn off a safety feature they may be relying on for them just because a small number of skiers aren't using their technology responsibly.