Forum Index > Trip Reports > Divide Ridge / Jumpoff Cabin 4/15/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostSun Apr 16, 2023 12:38 pm 
Original plan was something in Canada. Nixed that due to weather. So I looked at the UW WRF-GFS and noticed the east side of White Pass was going to be okay on Saturday. So made my plan and went. I used skis for 5 miles of logging road basically right at the base of Goose Egg mountain. Some short dry patches in between the snow near the beginning. Eventually it was all snow and low angle enough. After 5 miles the road ends below Divide Ridge and I then switched to snowshoes because the trees were too tight to ski in up to the ridge. Snowshoed up and then started walking to the cabin. Snow was in great shape. Near the cabin came across 4 different guys in their Can-Ams. They apparently were able to drive in the snow in those machines from the east somewhere. One of the was waiting for parts. Yes, parts for his machine because it was broken near the wheel. Fascinating you could be out there, and wait for parts! the cabin is open. And empty. Also, there was german shepherd out there on the summit plateu. It was very skittish and his tracks were everywhere south of the lookout area and I saw the dog sporadically. The dog did not belong to any of the people that I came across and those people even thought the dog was mine. Nope. I guess there is a lost dog up on the top of the summit area. No way was it coming close to any human. 4 hours up. 2 hours down. High overcast clouds. No sun. No precipitation all day.

Art is an adventure.

wallorcrawl, awilsondc, Now I Fly, Gimpilator, jaysway
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Apr 17, 2023 5:55 pm 
Glad you got out for something interesting. Thanks for the TR!

Eric Eames
RichP

RichP
PostTue Apr 18, 2023 11:11 am 
Hope that dog makes it home.

The Ghost of Bear 380