Forum Index > Gear Talk > 7 oz. Dyneema tarp
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 8:49 am 
Each winter I try to shave a few ounces off my pack weight. My latest purchase is a Falcon tarp from DutchWare Gear. He added some coverage to his asym tarp to make it more stormproof. As he says in his video it is not for severe weather but good insurance from a light summer squall. I don't go out if weather is predicted anyway. It is advertised as 4.7 oz., but when you add titanium stakes and zing-it ridge and guy lines it is still under a half pound. This is a hammock tarp and I realize most people here are groundhogs who use tents, but it could be used as an emergency shelter or protection while cowboy camping or extra protection with a bivvy since it can be deployed with trekking poles. Just say'n.

dave allyn, RumiDude
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hbb

hbb
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 4:12 pm 
That shape would be tricky for ground use, I think you end up with an opening on every side, which is obviously not a desirable feature in wind/rain/snow. I'd prefer a simple flat tarp for a superlight emergency tarp, like the MLD Monk Flat Tarp for better coverage at the same weight (and less than half the price!). That said, tiny tarps look great on a gear list, but in reality most users should take the extra 100g or so weight penalty for a few more square feet.

Waterman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message