Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is Hiking Ruining the Wilderness Experience?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 7:57 am 
Has anyone noticed the recent advertisements from Honda? Free WTA membership with new car purchase.

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark

Sculpin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 9:35 pm 
Yes on the WTA related commercial. I skip through ads on my Tivo, but stopped and backed up when I saw a flash of a NW forest scene. I was surprised to see a WTA tie-in. Normally when I stop on a mountain scene it's showing a pickup truck bombing over steep terrain where it should never be in the first place. But the background vistas are beautiful.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 9:57 pm 
Honda has signed up as the only $100k+ WTA corporate sponsor. Is it likely WTA made a deal to sign up new members up to that value? Most people will sign up for the electronic magazine. A certain percentage may continue when first year is up. Getting new members is an on-going project.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

Cyclopath
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 12:50 am 
While I lament how some areas are no longer refuges of solitude that they used to be, and that some areas are getting harder use than they used to (while others less hard, to be sure), it's hard for me to believe that it's bad for society that more people are getting out there. If they are "using it like a gym" does it mean they also don't get a dose of "forest bonding" and the like while out there? If they take selfies in front of amazing views and share them, can you be certain they don't also find moments of true bliss out there? As for environmental impacts, we have much bigger factors diminishing ecosystems; hiking is just a blip in this regard.

Mountainfisherman, Cyclopath, geyer, SpookyKite89, zimmertr, bullfrog, Randito, Schroder, ChinookPass, dave allyn  Roly Poly
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 10:04 am 
Despite supposedly have no budget and being wildly ineffective the Forest Service seems to do a fairly good job of keeping logging roads open. I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of roads decommissioned/let go. Adding subalpine mileage would significantly reduce crowding in a lot of simply overused areas. Imagine if any approach to Mt Baker involved an extra 5-7 miles of walking through forest. Or close off 8-mile road at Icicle Creek. Even gating Sunrise Min Road (adding ~2 gentle miles) would probably significantly reduce the impact on Vesper.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 10:36 am 
NightOwl wrote:
That, or at least not seeing people who look like they wandered in from a gym, running down the trail in short shorts with headphones on in a narcissistic bubble, etc. It means experiencing something more wild, sacred and selective. This is probably alien to the mentality of most people in our society, who just brush it off as "my problem". Maybe so, but I doubt I'm alone in this feeling. Hiking as an industry and hobby for the masses sucks; the more people and money are involved, the cheaper the experience gets. This may be my problem, but it's also your problem.
People wearing shorts you don't like isn't also my problem. lol.gif You're being really shrill. Relax. Go hiking and enjoy yourself, I heard Mount Si is nice.

dave allyn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 10:41 am 
peter707 wrote:
One major change is new technology
Goretex, polar fleece, etc etc. up.gif

peter707
peter707

peter707
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 10:51 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Imagine if any approach to Mt Baker involved an extra 5-7 miles of walking through forest. Or close off 8-mile road at Icicle Creek. Even gating Sunrise Min Road (adding ~2 gentle miles) would probably significantly reduce the impact on Vesper.
In terms of reducing impact, I think it's better to design trails to be easy to follow, to avoid people inadvertently wandering off. Even in the peak of the summer in the enchantments there's 'not many' people above Asgard. But many of them wander off the trail that they try to follow. The trail goes over unmarked rocks, so people sometimes miss the trail on the other side of the rock and inadvertently trample. So my guess is that you could decrease impact in the enchantments (and decrease rescues at asagard pass) by clearly marking the trail rather than 100 contradictory stacks of rocks. Adding 2 miles of approach does not work in this scenario to reduce impact - the parking lot fills up anyway and people literally park 2 miles away. If you loop it you get the 2 miles back at the end anyway I think. It would have a larger deterrent on Colchuck lake day-hikes but still, isn't it great that ~500 people a day enjoy the lake, and all are somewhat consolidated for simple SAR incidents? Those 500 people end up supporting wilderness in the future, and Teanaway will have tons of great options 10 miles south.

peter707

peter707
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 11:02 am 
Random thought - I was always sort of curious about why human-powered bikes are disallowed, but energy storage via batteries or food or fuel is not banned in the wilderness. The current definition of wilderness isn't particularly elegant, other than the 'visitor but does not stay' part. One neat wilderness definition would be "no external energy import into the wilderness" What would a ban on external energy import / consumption in the wilderness look like? A 'mega-wilderness' designation? a) no bringing fuel? b) navigation systems / altimeters would have to be solar powered or map & compass? c) no bringing food? There would need to be medical exemption for diabetes and whatnot, but it seems like an interesting concept.

Cyclopath
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 11:04 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Imagine if any approach to Mt Baker involved an extra 5-7 miles of walking through forest.
Imagine an average person or a family walking 14 miles round trip on a Saturday and never actually getting to see any mountains. Then imagine them never going there again. There are plenty of beautiful lowland forest trails. But folks also like to see high lakes, mountain meadows and views.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

RumiDude, grannyhiker
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 11:19 am 
peter707 wrote:
I was always sort of curious about why human-powered bikes are disallowed,
Because the Wilderness Act says: "there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area."" The term "no other form of mechanical transport" has been interpreted to prohibit bicycles. It would take an act of Congress to change this. I've heard some contend that this should also include mechanical cams used in free climbing, or pulley systems used in climbing and whitewater sports.

grannyhiker
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 11:26 am 
peter707 wrote:
Random thought - I was always sort of curious about why human-powered bikes are disallowed, but energy storage via batteries or food or fuel is not banned in the wilderness
The regulations make sense based on the history and the challenges faced at the time the Wilderness Actvwas written. It's not just human powered bikes that are banned, but also human and animal drawn carts. Without that ban, many more sites within primitive areas would be economically viable mining operations. Mountain Bikes were not a thing when the Wilderness act was passed, but motorized dirt bikes were and were wildly seen as a scourge to primitive recreation. Not just the noise and smell, but the deep grooves made in trails by powered wheels were certainly a problem. Ultimately the precise formulation of the Wilderness act was a political decision, Howard Zahniser made many revisions to the act from the mid-50s until it's passage in 1964 and there was tweaking to ensure the support of various interest groups. The support of equestrian hunting guides in Colorado played a critical role is the acts passage. David Brower persuaded them that without protection the areas where they took clients to hunt would soon be road accessible and their business would no longer exist. Without the wilderness act and the alpine lakes wilderness designation, many of the hyperpopular locations along I-90 that are currently plagued with short shorts would have a completely different nature. For example. The Alpental development would be far more extensive, with a road servicing residential development on the shores of Snow Lake and chairlifts to the top of Snoqualmie Mtn

peter707
Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 11:32 am 
Sorry but this is a dumb thread. There are many really busy trails into the wilderness and there are many trails that lead to incredibly remote wilderness areas that few ever visit. What's your point? Further, who cares. For most people, being in nature is good for their soul. This thread seems like one big trolling fest.

Mountainfisherman, Randito, neek, fourteen410, SpookyKite89, geyer, dave allyn, ChinookPass, Cyclopath, zimmertr
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 11:51 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
slabbyd wrote:
Imagine if any approach to Mt Baker involved an extra 5-7 miles of walking through forest.
Imagine an average person or a family walking 14 miles round trip on a Saturday and never actually getting to see any mountains. Then imagine them never going there again.
Imagine if hikers didn't fantasize about excluding other hikers from hiking.

Mountainfisherman, Krylon, Randito, Backpackapalooza, RumiDude  SpookyKite89
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Feb 01, 2023 2:46 pm 
peter707 wrote:
Even in the peak of the summer in the enchantments there's 'not many' people above Asgard.
What?? Why would anyone make the effort to climb Aasgard and not go beyond? In fact, the core area is usually choked with hikers.