Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dumpster Diving
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Jan 29, 2023 6:22 pm 
I love dumpster diving. Especially when I’m not in the mood for snow. This is Shaw lake (Wallace Falls State park). I think it’s pretty even though it’s consider a dumpster dive. Feel free to add your own “dives” to this thread!

joker, ChinookPass, RichP  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jan 29, 2023 6:27 pm 
^^^ I've never heard that term "dumpster dive" applied to a hike. What means it? An easy hike too prosaic to be worth documenting? Like, Big 4 ice caves, maybe?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jan 29, 2023 6:52 pm 
I think the term applies more to peaks than lakes but I may be wrong. Typically they are summits that are logged, full of sticker bushes, piles of slash, garbage, lots of shooting, dumping and watching your back if trespassing. Some of them are good to bike and if lucky, you get to drive up. You are always relieved when your car windows are all intact upon return if you have to park. I am fond of dumpster dives, especially in winter. The pic is of Miniature Mtn off the Mtn Loop. On the summit is a shot up mountain bike that gives it more dumpster cred.
That's a pretty Lake, RP.

wyattmullen, zimmertr, Mike Collins, KascadeFlat, Roly Poly, raising3hikers  Anne Elk
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Jan 29, 2023 7:44 pm 
This is one that I did up towards Tonga Ridge TH. It’s a road walk! Until the slash pile and then I just snowshoed up. Rich P, I agree, slash piles are a required component!🤣😂. You can see some slash poking out in the last photo.

KascadeFlat
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:47 pm 
Here's a couple pics from my "super secret" clearcut NW of Lookout Mtn in Lookout Mtn Forest Preserve by Lake Whatcom. Seems like most people stick to the lower trails. The summit isn't far away but has no views although there is a comm tower SW of the summit with more limited views(no Baker). The clearcut across the way on South Chukanut is also really nice. It has a better view of the water but you'll see more people.
Looking at Larrabee Park/S Chuckanut clearcut
Looking at Larrabee Park/S Chuckanut clearcut
Bham into BC
Bham into BC
Beautifully framed Baker/Sisters  :dizzy:
Beautifully framed Baker/Sisters dizzy.gif
Another one I've been meaning to get back to is the gated road heading up the south side of North Mtn in Darrington. The mtn bike trail Out of the Blue runs up the same area. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to leave the road to get to the summit but the views from the road are outstanding. I need to go on a day with better visibility.

Roly Poly, RichP
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:53 pm 
I love this thread. Keep on dumpster divin'!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

CS
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Jan 29, 2023 11:03 pm 
Bramble Scramble, excellent slash pile on Lookout Mt. 🤣😂. I’ll have to put it on my list. North Mt lookout too!

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 2:35 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
Bramble Scramble, excellent slash pile on Lookout Mt. 🤣😂. I’ll have to put it on my list. North Mt lookout too!
Here's a couple maps to help. Not too hard to find. Park at Lookout Mountain Preserve TH on Lake Louise Road. It's logging roads in the forest most of the way up and then there's a short sort of rough connector trail to the clearcut roads.

Roly Poly
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 6:47 am 
Loch Katrine - A permit required logging road hike through a clear cut. Pretty little lake tho

Roly Poly
camut

camut
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 7:54 am 
Lookout Mountain can also be approached from the south using the trail that starts just across from the Cain Lake boat ramp. A close to home dumpster dive for me is Devil's Mountain. It's a short (only a couple of miles) road walk to the top where there is a nice view of Baker. In early spring there is a view to the west of the flower fields in the Skagit lowlands.

Bramble_Scramble, Roly Poly
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 12:54 pm 
RichP wrote:
The pic is of Miniature Mtn off the Mtn Loop. On the summit is a shot up mountain bike that gives it more dumpster cred.
Cool, where is that exactly? Another good dumpster dive lake is Hanson lake near Granite falls, there is also another lake in close proximity. It's a road walk or bike ride best accessed off Menzel lake road.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 3:26 pm 
H. Hound wrote:
Loch Katrine - A permit required logging road hike through a clear cut. Pretty little lake tho
It'll be interesting to see what it looks like following last year's fire.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 5:04 pm 
Lake Elizabeth. Road walk alongside Money Creek. Nice views of Lennox along the way.

Bramble_Scramble
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 6:22 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
RichP wrote:
The pic is of Miniature Mtn off the Mtn Loop. On the summit is a shot up mountain bike that gives it more dumpster cred.
Cool, where is that exactly?
It's up the logging road next to the Masonic Family Park entrance just outside of Granite Falls. Lots of good stuff back there.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 8:11 pm 
I think some of you may have high standards or perhaps even self-respect! Shaw lake or Katrine are far too pleasant to be proper dumpster dives. Rich is on the right {logging} track as trespassing up a clearcut to a viewless summit after parking next to the wreckage of a stolen car is quintessential dumpster diving. Dumpster divers reject that snooty Orwellian pig's notion that all mountains are equal but some mountains are more equal than others! But why take my word for it when Lord Klenke has already been published on the art of Dumpster Diving?

RichP, Bramble_Scramble  Roly Poly