Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dumpster Diving
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
oneeyedfatman

oneeyedfatman
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 12:07 am 
The term "dumpster diving" is all about summits, not lakes, and has been so in the Wahington peakbagging community for over 25 years. See this classic article by Paul Klenke for a nice history and some examples: http://www.alpenglow.org/nwmj/09/091_DumpsterDiving.html Bagging unaesthetic lakes is a totally legit form of fun, but it would be better to call it by a different term.

RichP  joker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:28 pm 
"Dumpster Diving" is a pretty generic term. It's ridiculous to think it has any sort of mutual exclusivity with other forms of outdoor activity than peak bagging.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:54 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
Bramble Scramble, excellent slash pile on Lookout Mt. 🤣😂. I’ll have to put it on my list. North Mt lookout too!
This is a fantastic day on skis or a bike. Not really worth doing on foot in my opinion (edit to add: because it's a road walk) but to each their own. Even if you drive it's a spectacular view but it's more enjoyable when earned as part of an adventure.
Go on a clear day. Spend the night!

Bramble_Scramble  KascadeFlat
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:56 pm 
oneeyedfatman wrote:
The term "dumpster diving" is all about summits, not lakes, and has been so in the Wahington peakbagging community for over 25 years. See this classic article by Paul Klenke for a nice history and some examples: http://www.alpenglow.org/nwmj/09/091_DumpsterDiving.html Bagging unaesthetic lakes is a totally legit form of fun, but it would be better to call it by a different term.
Dumpster diving is actually about acquiring possessions when you're homeless. It's ok that the peak bagging community borrowed the term but they don't own it and hikers can borrow it too.

KascadeFlat
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 6:00 pm 
NWHiker Stefan used to send a dumpster dive reports on all his; he did numerous dumpster dive trips before going to his office, in order to keep fit for climbing. I think that crazy mug would leave his house at 3 AM or some nutty time like that; he'd end each post with "desk time by 8:31 AM."

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

KascadeFlat
thuja

thuja
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 8:52 pm 
Anderson Mountain north of Sedro Woolley is a good dumpster dive hike. It's also a Napoleon!

brewermd

brewermd
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 am 
Lyman Mnt straddles both Whatcom and Skagit counties. There are many ways to get there, one way (the shortest) is by using two connections that link roads, It is about 4.5 mi up the road to the first connector, about 14-ish rt if I remember correctly. I went up to the newish connector last weekend to see if it goes, it goes.

KascadeFlat
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 12:41 pm 
I hadn't done West Tiger much in years, as the growing trees had started fully occluding the views up there, but thanks to the recent "simulated alpine zone restoration" project undertaken across the summits of West Tiger 3 2 and 1, I've been up there multiple times this past year when looking for a decent length hike with a short drive.
West Tiger Atmosphere 2 (1 of 1)
West Tiger Atmosphere 2 (1 of 1)
West Tiger Atmosphere 1 (1 of 1)
West Tiger Atmosphere 1 (1 of 1)
up up and away (1 of 1)
up up and away (1 of 1)

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 1:07 pm 
I resent that! West Tiger is absolutely not a dumpster 😡

Flickr | Strava

joker
RichP

RichP
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 1:11 pm 
Keeping with the Skagit theme, Skagit Gadget and its lovely summit lookout.

KascadeFlat, zimmertr  Roly Poly, fourteen410
wyattmullen
Wyatt

wyattmullen
Wyatt
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 1:25 pm 
Dumpster diving is one of my favorite pastimes in the winter. As someone who is always looking for new places to run, the logging roads that lead up to many of the dumpster peaks actually make for great weekend long runs! The roads are generally pretty smooth and well graded and it doesn't involve the pavement pounding of many of the real roads/paved trails down in the lowlands. Additionally the likelihood of rolling/spraining my ankle is much lower than on real trails. I think the biggest draw is just getting to see new places and new perspectives, especially for locations that almost everyone else overlooks. Of course the last couple hundred feet of bushwhacking through slash on many peaks can be somewhat unpleasant, especially if it's soaking wet, but it's still a novel experience and can be a way to scope out new adventures. I mean I'm now inspired to head up the Boulder River (no matter how bad the bushwhack) after seeing this waterfall for the first time a couple weeks ago on Frailey (and this was the second time I'd been up this "dumpster")
Adventure awaits
Adventure awaits
And this was from a clearcut above an inversion on Anderson last January (which I've now been up 4 times?):
Not such a "dumpster"
Not such a "dumpster"
Or from Blue Mountain last January
A blue mountain from Blue Mountain
A blue mountain from Blue Mountain
And of course maybe the true "dumpsters" don't have any views at all, but the forest and moss and berries (if in season) and wildlife make them beautiful in their own right. Yes, much of the time for many of them I'm worried about getting stopped for trespassing (I try to look innocent which as a runner is not too hard) or worried I'll find my car smashed when I get back, but mostly that just pushes up the adrenaline.

RichP  KascadeFlat
mosey

mosey
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
East, middle, and south tiger are though winksmile.gif along with squak. I personally enjoy the south side of pilchuck. There were a lot of logging roads blocked off 20 years ago that have made for some quiet walking. The forest there extends all the way to Monroe Log Camp in the south and Spada on the east. Plenty to do, explorer hill has the best lowland views in the area. Marckworth forest is also an option. A true, literal dumpster.

KascadeFlat
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 2:01 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Clearly there's no single accepted bar for what qualifies as a dumpster dive outing. I maintain that based on past usage in the group, West Tiger, with its simulated alpine zone, exposed electrical cables, numerous old road grades, funky replant zones, scenic communications towers, and such, is fair game! I apply the term lovingly headrub.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 2:33 pm 
Middle Tiger will lose it's view-less status when it's logged off in the near future.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 3:27 pm 
mosey wrote:
East, middle, and south tiger are though winksmile.gif along with squak.
I have to reply since I live on Squak North side may be dumpster but South side has many nice trails and loops including Margaret’s Way, Phil’s Creek, and May Valley loop protected by Discovery Pass req. the East Side is about as close to wilderness along with the Southeast Peaks as you can get in the Izzy Alps.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn