Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 10:13 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
He also tweeted that his confidence in OpenAI’s safety was “not high,”
Elon Musk has been very confident self driving is coming any day now, for the last 10 years. Maybe his confidence level needs a tune up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 10:31 am 
“Amazingly, ChatGPT gets hired at L3 when interviewed for a coding position,” says the document. And while level three is considered an entry-level position on the engineering team at Google, average total compensation for the job is about $183,000. https://www.pcmag.com/news/chatgpt-passes-google-coding-interview-for-level-3-engineer-with-183k-salary

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 11:33 am 
zimmertr wrote:
You're watching the rise of world changing technology in real time.
"Please rewrite this email to be business appropriate:" John you moron how many times do I need to tell you... becomes: Dear John; I may have been unclear. As per my last email ...

zimmertr
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 12:58 pm 
"It's easier to fill a man than it is to convince him he's been fooled." Mark Twain, maybe

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 1:45 pm 
It's almost up to International Master level at chess. Need shades for the future.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 12:16 pm 

Slim
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 9:43 am 
Google stock getting crushed because AI is stupid https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/blunder-by-googles-ai-chatbot-bard-alphabet-shares-lose-100-billion-3766485/amp/1

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 6:45 pm 
ChatGPT isn't all that smart either. https://futurism.com/artificial-intelligence-automated-mansplaining-machine Here's another. We asked the bot a fairly simple riddle: "Jane's mother has four children. The first child's name is Spring, the second child's name is Summer and the third child's name is Autumn. What is the fourth child's name?" "The fourth child's name is Winter," ChatGPT reasoned. Again, this isn't right. If Jane's mother has three other children, and those children are named, the other child's name would have to be Jane. And when we asked the bot if it was sure, it most definitely was. "Yes, I'm sure," it answered. "The names given for the first three children are all seasons, and the fourth season is winter."

Cyclopath, Bootpathguy  Anne Elk
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 8:17 pm 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 9:57 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
"Yes, I'm sure," it answered. "The names given for the first three children are all seasons, and the fourth season is winter."
This is surprisingly good reasoning for a bot. It got the question wrong, but deserves partial credit for showing its work. It's kind of like a child saying "I knowed" instead of "I knew" because they understand verb tenses but haven't figured the exceptions out yet. Chat bot parsed the question correctly and gave the wrong answer but a good guess, it doesn't understand riddles. It's definitely not at the point of human level understanding, but it's further than I thought we were, and who knows where this will all be in several years?

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 9:00 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
This is surprisingly good reasoning for a bot.
I am confused why you would write this. The information the bot needed to answer the question was not contained in the vast trove of internet archives it accesses to do its job, if it had been we could just shrug it off as less than perfect. In this case the information it needed was contained in the question it was asked. If it doesn't understand riddles then it should have had no problem on this one. Also, Spring, Summer, and Autumn are actually used as names, which is something that the bot could have verified. Is there anyone named "Winter?" I can't imagine a better demonstration of the limitations. If a chatbot is useful for anything other than a temporary distraction from loneliness, it should at least be able to avoid the simplest mistakes that the wetware in our brains make, like glossing over "Jane's mother" the first time we read it.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

rossb, Bootpathguy, Jumble Jowls
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 10:26 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
This is surprisingly good reasoning for a bot.
I am confused why you would write this.
For the reasons I explained. The fact that it was fooled by a gotcha doesn't change the impressive display. Everybody goes something wrong sometimes and that doesn't undo everything we all get right, same concept here. The fact that it talks fluently enough to get an MBA and a job at Google means the Turing test is a historical curiosity, and people are complaining that it doesn't have the skill to get a contrived riddle? My car doesn't make coffee.
Sculpin wrote:
Also, Spring, Summer, and Autumn are actually used as names, which is something that the bot could have verified. Is there anyone named "Winter?"
Nobody names their four children Spring, Summer, Autumn, Jane. That's an artificial and frankly dumb situation to ask about. Plenty of humans would make the same mistake for attentional reasons, and no one would say it's an example of humans being automatons.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 10:36 am 
Sculpin wrote:
If a chatbot is useful for anything other than a temporary distraction from loneliness
This is 100% a lack of creativity if you can only think of one (unflattering) use for a technology like this.

neek

neek
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 11:03 am 
I don't see the well-publicized inability of these early generation language models to perform math and logic as much of a showstopper. I'm generally pessimistic on hyped-up emerging technology, like cryptocurrency and the metaverse and self-driving cars, but this feels different. Seems feasible to integrate with various logic-oriented systems, such as some of the Wolfram products like Alpha or Mathematica, even a traditional expert system, although I'm not knowledgeable enough to guess a timeline or specific details. You can be sure that work to evolve this technology into more generalized AI is well underway. It's of huge interest to governments and individuals with lots of money, which should scare anyone paying attention.

Anne Elk
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 11:11 am 
neek wrote:
this feels different. Seems feasible to integrate with various logic-oriented systems, such as some of the Wolfram products like Alpha or Mathematica, even a traditional expert system, although I'm not knowledgeable enough to guess a timeline or specific details
That ColdFusion video I linked demonstrates some very powerful integrations in Edge/Bing. Multi-search, summarizing long documents, cross referencing data in front of you with data retrieved from other places on the internet automatically, etc.