Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Thunderbird Lodge at Summit West
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 3:08 pm 
Passed by the T-bird lodge on a hike 10+ years ago, and it was in decrepit condition back then as well. Explored around it a bit (despite the warning signs) and found a door ajar. So, I snuck in to reminisce. I have fond memories of grabbing a hot drink and warming up in there by the fire while taking night skiing lessons back in the winter of 1979 & 1980.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostTue Aug 29, 2023 2:44 pm 
The lodge has been torn down and the material is being removed from the mountain, two of the photos are from this week and the other is from last winter

car68
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostTue Aug 29, 2023 2:49 pm 
One more from a couple weeks ago

car68
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostTue Aug 29, 2023 2:53 pm 
Bert A Tucker was one of the architects who designed the Thunderbird Lodge, he also designed some other interesting structures https://www.docomomo-wewa.org/architect/tucker-bert-a/

kw

kw
PostThu Aug 31, 2023 1:06 am 
Thought I would add since I didn't see this elsewhere, adding a "food and beverage outlet" to the top of Wildside is now part of the Summit's "Middle Term" project list on their website (https://summitatsnoqualmie.com/summit-2030). I'm guessing the new restaurant will be significantly smaller, but it will be interesting to see what they do up there in the coming summers. Replacing Wildside with a realigned quad is higher on their priorities, so it's possible the demolition was in part done to add space at the top for a new top station.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 01, 2023 10:56 pm 
It will be interesting to see what they do. They have been offering scenic chair rides on Pacific Crest this summer. Which seems whacky to me. However a realigned Wildside chair with easy access from the parking lot to a facility near the old Thunderbird lodge has some appeal , particularly if it has a large area with Guye Peak and Snoqualmie Mtn as the backdrop. It would be a scenic place to have a beer, but more profitablely operated as a wedding venue. Crystal started offering weddings at their mountain top lodge after they installed the gondola and my understanding is that it has been 100% booked since opening.

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostMon Sep 04, 2023 2:52 pm 
Well, that's sad. Sorry to see it go. My fondest memory of the Thunderbird Lodge was back in the late 1990s. The firm I worked with at that time had American Tower as a client. We were evaluating environmental conditions of many potential cell tower sites in the region. One of them I looked at was the Thunderbird Lodge. It was May, the ski area was closed but there was still plenty of snow. I brought my backcountry skis to reach the lodge. A ski area employee offered to take me up on a snowmobile. "Nah, I'll just skin up." It was a sunny spring day. After I looked around the lodge, took photos, made notes, I skied down on some perfect spring cheater snow. One of my better days at work. Over the next few days I looked at a few more potential sites in South Cle Elum, Thorp, and Ryegrass Summit.

Let me stand next to your fire
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostFri Sep 08, 2023 7:31 am 
Randito wrote:
Guye Peak and Snoqualmie Mtn as the backdrop. It would be a scenic place to have a beer, but more profitablely operated as a wedding venue.
They have been doing weddings at Alpental for some time now, I think it’s a little more scenic but that’s just me and you don’t the noise from I-90 nothing like a Jake Brake in the middle of your vows plus the logistics of moving people and everything else associated with a wedding up the hill to T-bird would be a factor, at Alpental you can drive right up to the plaza when there’s no snow

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 08, 2023 9:40 am 
snoqpass wrote:
Randito wrote:
Guye Peak and Snoqualmie Mtn as the backdrop. It would be a scenic place to have a beer, but more profitablely operated as a wedding venue.
They have been doing weddings at Alpental for some time now, I think it’s a little more scenic but that’s just me and you don’t the noise from I-90 nothing like a Jake Brake in the middle of your vows plus the logistics of moving people and everything else associated with a wedding up the hill to T-bird would be a factor, at Alpental you can drive right up to the plaza when there’s no snow
I don't know if would be profitable, but it's not a zero sum game. A wedding venue at the Thunderbird lodge location wouldn't really draw folks away from Alpental. Given the general attitude of Alpentalics toward Summit West. Using a chairlift for access to the venue certainly has accessibility issues. Perhaps the updated wildside chair would have some sort of summer adjustment to safely carry limited mobility folks as well as all the supplies needed. The old Thunderbird chair had a "cargo chair" for hauling stuff up to the lodge.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Sep 08, 2023 4:39 pm 
Quote:
They have been offering scenic chair rides on Pacific Crest this summer. Which seems whacky to me.
Right?? I think now that our area is really on the tourist map, with the cruise ship tourists and so many others, there are going to be new ways to get tourists to part with their money along with people that have a fairly low bar in terms of what constitutes nice scenery/nature. As long as they are doing that rather than taking those !$%!& helicopter tours over my neighborhood... I also don't think a chairlift ride at Stevens is anything special. That landscape is just so scarred in summer and it's not like you can hike around once up--you have to stick to the one designated route to avoid being flattened by bikers. I've noticed, somehow, that taking wedding photos at Rattlesnake Lake, stumps and all, is a thing. That's another head scratcher to me.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 08, 2023 5:41 pm 
It's easy to be jaded by experience-- but from a cruise ship tourist point of view , the view of Guye Peak and Snoqualmie Mtn from the old Thunderbird lodge location is objectively quite nice. I wouldn't mind drinking a beer while enjoying that view. Typically semis aren't using their exhaust brakes crossing Snoqualmie pass, those tend to get applied while they are crossing the Denny Creek Bridge.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 1:08 pm 
I lived at the pass for a little over 25 years and they most definitely Jake going EB and don't get me started on the ones with the giant exhaust pipes...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 6:45 pm 
snoqpass wrote:
I lived at the pass for a little over 25 years and they most definitely Jake going EB and don't get me started on the ones with the giant exhaust pipes...
Sure between exit 53 and exit 54. One can certainly hear that at Summit Central.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Sep 22, 2023 6:24 am 
Good to see that eyesore gone. Whatever you want to say about its architecture or future plans, this particular structure passed its point of no return decades ago...

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostFri Sep 22, 2023 9:20 pm 
Just about gone