Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mount Washington wind chill hits minus-108, snapping U.S. record
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 2:22 pm 
Quote:
"The wind chill at the summit of New Hampshire’s Mount Washington dropped to minus-108 degrees Friday, marking what meteorologists and climate scientists say probably is the lowest temperature recorded in the history of the United States, as the Northeast is being battered with dangerously cold air."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/02/04/mount-washington-wind-chill-record/

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 5:59 pm 
The remarkable part of that is the 127 mph "stratospheric" winds they had. The temperature was -50, which they've been below before. Montana has the temperature record in the Continental U.S. at -70 and Alaska at -80. I did a lot of work in Northern Saskatchewan in the winter and experienced temperatures below -40 regularly but it wasn't nearly as cold as working on the North shore of Lake Superior in warmer temperatures but 60 mph winds. On Denali, my thermometer bottomed out at -60 and we had winds of 100 mph.

joker, peter707, zimmertr  Chief Joseph
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 6:16 pm 
We lived in Ottawa Canada for two years in winter temperatures were regularly -20C and often fell lower. Ottawa is the coldest National Capital in the world colder than Moscow. As described above other places in Canada can go lower. Mt Washington NH of course goes lower and the wind is ferocious.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

zimmertr
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 6:52 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Ottawa is the coldest National Capital in the world colder than Moscow.
For what it's worth: the coldest capital city in the world is Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. Moscow is #3; Astara, Kazakhstan is #2. Ottawa is #7. https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-coldest-capital-cities-in-the-world.html https://allcapitals.org/what-is-the-coldest-capital-city-in-the-world/ I know this from buying socks from Mongolia. smile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 7:13 pm 
Yes but in January 2019 Ottawa was colder doh.gif CBC story 🥳

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Cyclopath
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 8:44 pm 
I recall two really low cold snaps in the Methow. The winter of 78-79 was cold for a long spell - I’m remembering several weeks or so that never got above 0 or10 F for highs. There was some -30 nights that year. Two years later (I think it was Jan 1981), living at 2500’ up the Twisp Riv,, I hit -35. That same winter I had friends living in Salmon, ID and Jackson Hole, Wyo. It hit -50F in Salmon and froze most of both the water and sewer mains in town. I drove thru there the next summer and every street in town was torn up. Jackson hit -70 in that same period. Friend there got a vehicle running, gassed it up and let it idle all night. It hit -27 in the Methow this winter, the first time in 15 or 20 years that has happened. It used to be more frequent.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostWed Feb 08, 2023 9:05 pm 
Over Christmas break in the winter of 69/70 I think it was, temperatures at Stevens were in the mid-lower minus twenties for several days. This is not jaw dropping in the scheme of things, but was plenty damn cold, especially for Stevens Pass. I skiied every day, but could only muster a couple of runs at a time before numb feet drove me indoors to thaw out. In the days before multigrade oil lots of vehicles would not start. I remember various oil pan heating schemes, and at one point Josh Towing had a backlog of about 50 vehicles waiting for a tow off the hill at a stiff price. A parent staying with his family at the Mounties Lodge got his brand new, uninsured Checker Aerobus started and promptly rolled it heading down the west side. Down south at Crystal supposedly a skier going in the lodge kicked the snow off his Lange plastic boot and the boot broke in half.

ChinookPass
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 12:04 am 
Some of the best meatfudge in thr country comes from that area. Was at a museum recently where they had a big exhibit about how the cold temperatures influenced local meatfudge culture over the decades. Very interesting. Various tastings outside. U drink we drive.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 12:35 am 
I recall a near -100 with windchill around Belfield, ND in the late 70's...20 below was a heat wave.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 12:42 am 
They revised the wind chill formula since then. It's much more difficult to achieve -100 than it was before.

Chief Joseph
gb

gb
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 5:07 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Some of the best meatfudge in thr country comes from that area. Was at a museum recently where they had a big exhibit about how the cold temperatures influenced local meatfudge culture over the decades. Very interesting. Various tastings outside. U drink we drive.
You don't say...

gb

gb
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 5:16 am 
Bruce Albert wrote:
Over Christmas break in the winter of 69/70 I think it was, temperatures at Stevens were in the mid-lower minus twenties for several days. This is not jaw dropping in the scheme of things, but was plenty damn cold, especially for Stevens Pass. I skiied every day, but could only muster a couple of runs at a time before numb feet drove me indoors to thaw out. In the days before multigrade oil lots of vehicles would not start. I remember various oil pan heating schemes, and at one point Josh Towing had a backlog of about 50 vehicles waiting for a tow off the hill at a stiff price. A parent staying with his family at the Mounties Lodge got his brand new, uninsured Checker Aerobus started and promptly rolled it heading down the west side. Down south at Crystal supposedly a skier going in the lodge kicked the snow off his Lange plastic boot and the boot broke in half.
I'll bet it was Xmas 69 that several of us went to Jackson via the train to ski. It had apparently warmed up a bit as we passed through the lower Columbia River Gorge as there was about 2-3" of ice on everything after freezing rain. The Hood River had 3-4' of pack ice that was breaking up. That is the only time I've seen thick pack ice on any of our rivers. One morning in Jackson it snowed 15" at -22F - could blow the snow at my feet while standing, getting into the Tram building. The coldest, though, was skiing the top bowl - just crossing it with my arms wrapped around my face - it was -30 that day with 45 mph winds. You would frostbite in a few seconds.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 4:57 pm 
Cold wind sucks so much. -110... thats just crazy. The stratosphere essentially descended to the surface. Now that might be fairly common on your Denalis or K2s or south pole, but New Hampshire? Crazy! Denali certainly has ‐110 beat but it might indeed be the coldest "recorded" value. Weather stations dont last long on denali and theres no interns you can send out to chip off ice like on Washington...

SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostSat Feb 11, 2023 10:58 am 
Yeah it'd be interesting if they maintained a weather station at 17k on Denali all winter one year. Somehow it surprises me that it comes down to manually de-icing the instruments still, but I know that's what they do on Mt Washington.

Gil
PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 7:26 am 
They needed that. They had the wind speed record for a long time until it was recently broken. I have stood on top of there and it is windy as heck for sure.