Forum Index > Trail Talk > A Seattle Crosstown Trail?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mb

mb
PostWed Feb 15, 2023 10:36 am 
The San Francisco crosstown trail is an urban route which is tremendously popular and successful. It crosses parks, neighborhoods, viewpoints, water, etc. Most people who hike it have never seen much of the city which it crosses, as it includes both unknown neighborhoods and some of the most popular spots. Some info: https://modernhiker.com/the-crosstown-trail-is-a-san-francisco-adventure/ https://crosstowntrail.org/ Is there interest in a other cities? Someone created something similar in Boston and it's becoming popular too. How about Seattle? Bob, one of the main motivators behind the project is in Seattle this week--if anyone wants to meet up with him, let me know and I can put you in touch while he's in town or some other time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Feb 15, 2023 10:42 am 
Really neat idea. Not quite the same thing, but if they'd finish the missing link of the Burke-Gilman... I love urban exploration, finding "secret" connecting paths and staircases. I'd rather see the city focus on building more of these so people can put together their own routes, rather than tackle some huge cross-town trail, which I think would be politically impossible here.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 15, 2023 2:05 pm 
You're just like (crosstown traffic) So hard to get through to you (Crosstown traffic) I don't need to run over you (Crosstown traffic) All you do is slow me down And I'm trying to get on the other side of town

Now I Fly, Anne Elk, rossb
mosey

mosey
PostWed Feb 15, 2023 2:55 pm 
Slim
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Feb 15, 2023 6:14 pm 
That's a super cool idea. I wonder how much of it is on sidewalks. It's a little different than what the SF Crosstown Trail does but it doesn't seem too crazy to better connect the multi-use trails we have. Maybe they do connect if you include bikeways and Stay Healthy Streets.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 6:45 pm 
neek wrote:
Really neat idea. Not quite the same thing, but if they'd finish the missing link of the Burke-Gilman... I love urban exploration, finding "secret" connecting paths and staircases. I'd rather see the city focus on building more of these so people can put together their own routes, rather than tackle some huge cross-town trail, which I think would be politically impossible here.
the only problem with BG trail is its not really a loop. Would much rather have a loop trail. that said, you can hook up with a trail in Redmond, come back via 520 bridge and make a loop but pretty long.

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 9:15 pm 
Here in Kirkland we have the 'Cross Kirkland Corridor". Folk's love it, but I think it could use a better name. Just too many syllables! bug.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 9:18 pm 
For Seattle would you consult the stairs guide?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 9:47 pm 
neek wrote:
I love urban exploration, finding "secret" connecting paths and staircases. I'd rather see the city focus on building more of these so people can put together their own routes, rather than tackle some huge cross-town trail, which I think would be politically impossible here.
It sounds like the S.F. "trail" is a route through the city that's always existed, it's just that a group of people sat down and decided what the best cross-town route would be for neighborhood and scenic exploration. But why was it necessary to build an organization around it, promote it, etc. etc.? I can see if someone wanted to take their idea to the city to get them to do a printed map and make it available for the public's use, but why the need to build an organization around it and promote it, drive the instagrammers and tik-tok hordes to it, and ... well you know. Over-promotion and formalization would certainly take all the fun out of discovering stuff on your own, as Neek suggests.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Feb 17, 2023 12:03 am 
Dave Henry huck across once. Said it took too long. I came across one of these so called "3 man lanes" during in traffic situation. Rule is you get a ticket if y'aint got 3 guys in the car!! I ain't respecting that!!!!! So they got me!!! Got pulled over. Told the guy HERES THE DEAL: the deal is you don't UNDERSTAND what the deal is!! Told him I ain't paying! Never paid for these things before, I frequently choose to opt out of paying these fees.

sams rapids

sams rapids
PostSat Feb 18, 2023 12:22 pm 
Little Crossing Over Place look it up somebody walk it, send a trip report, please when there were longhouses and natives living on what became known as ballast island, there was a small connection to the soon to be city, probably wet at low tide the foot of King Street, i think is where the trail to Little Crossing Over Place started there was a trail clear to leshi, on lake washington that natives walked the biggest longhouse is said to be covered with fill and traces are till there ballast island was the result of ships unloading rock from the holds and then the city grew and low spots were filled in any how, that is my memory from reading books about seattle's history