Forum Index > Trail Talk > Found my new pair!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 10:58 am 
Finally I found my new boots. Hoka Kaha 2 GTX (nice blue!) These have great ankle support, more insole cushion as well. These don’t feel heavy though a bit stiff on the first try. The ones I tried at REI most likely were tried on more often so a bit more flexible. I love the style too. I didn’t walk downhill, so no comparison yet. And these don’t run large as others noted. I do have Salomon Quest 4 GTX. But these are STIFF, no sole cushion inside to support my heels.

RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 3:58 pm 
Nice, I think you'll really like them. While plush, they were a little too stiff for my sensitive feet. Last year I couldn't believe my luck when I was able to stock up on Stinson Mids after Hoka discontinued them. They were the only boots I had found that my sensitive feet could tolerate thanks to their ultra plush cushioning. None of the other boots by Hoka I tried held a candle, they only lit up my feet. That said, I just picked up a pair of the legendary Tor Ultra Hi which Hoka seems to have brought back for now, and really impressed so far. My feet seem to like them a teeny bit more than the Stinson Mid. Of course time will tell as I actually hike in them but they are more of a true hiking boot with Vibram soles and better build than the Stinsons so hopefully last longer.

Cyclopath, Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 9:53 pm 
Tom, I don’t see the one you have at REI. I trust you on that one—Most likely it would be even better than Kaha. I read somewhere that these don’t clean well and it’s hard to remove stains. Is it true?

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 9:56 pm 
It seems I have sensitive feet too. The main reason I need to have cushion for my heels is that I can’t have a flat heel. When I do, I get pain in my ankles and in my knees when hiking. I believe that too many people write reviews for getting their feet wet. That is why now the boots are stiffer and heavier in different brands. It’s not easy to get a boot that is light, breathable, and protects your ankles.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 10:33 pm 
The Tor Ultra are on Hoka's website in limited colors. Seems they sell out quickly, I was lucky to get the color I did in my size. You can also find them at kith. eBay and StockX have designer versions reselling for silly amounts. The Tor probably wouldn't work for you as the heel drop is minimal but that's what I prefer.

Mountainpines
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 11:34 am 
Mountainpines wrote:
It seems I have sensitive feet too. The main reason I need to have cushion for my heels is that I can’t have a flat heel. When I do, I get pain in my ankles and in my knees when hiking.
A good podiatrist was incredibly helpful for me. In terms of choosing shoes, understanding exactly what stresses my feet and what doesn't, etc. The knowledge I gained about how to deal with my foot problem was worth a thousand times what the doctor charged.

Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 4:32 pm 
I was going to return Salomon Quest 4, but these have the best grip downhill! I also bought Salomon X Utra One Mid GTX, the lighter version. La Sportiva was most comfortable but grip isn’t as good. I’m not sure if it’s the pair I tried. So, I might give it another try again in another store location. But I tried many pairs at REI, different brands in stock. And the above two plus Hoka Kaha are my top picks. I didn’t try $500 boots. Those are special order. Neither I tried boots that are not in stock anymore at REI.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 9:19 pm 
Tom, Do you think the tor ultra sizing consistent to other Hoka shoes?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 9:31 pm 
Yes

Pyrites
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 8:06 am 
No one person's foot is the same as others and that makes for a wide variety of shoe suggestions

Cyclopath, Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 2:11 pm 
I know. But I’m glad I tried on so many pairs. I slid last summer and hurt my back, knees, and ankles a bit. Though ankles were saved because of the ankle support. The tread was gone. So, my fault. It became even more important to have shoes that don’t slide off going downhill. I recovered. But it seems my knees and back it’s never the same anymore. When I run, I do feel it. And my back—I can’t stand too long with a flat heal. I have to move.