Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hidden Lake Lookout
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 11:10 am 
catsp Very well said. Thank you.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 3:09 pm 
Good advice is good advice. The Op is having none of it. He knows this route and is an expert at analyzing avalanche terrain and snowpack stability..... rotf.gif

fourteen410
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 3:11 pm 
The question that I keep coming back to is why Hidden Lake Lookout among all other winter options?

Flickr | Strava

SpookyKite89, Bramble_Scramble, mosey, rossb
rossb

rossb
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 3:43 pm 
I think advice such as the road being out, or the top being a better route than the lookout is relevant and helpful. My guess is what the OP wanted. The OP may also want to know if there is enough of a base to create a problem. The short answer is "Oh Yeah -- there is a sh**load of snow up there". Information such as "it was really safe when I went there a couple weeks ago" is no longer relevant. That information is completely outdated. Avalanche conditions change. A couple sites you might explore are these: NWAC -- Lists general avalanche danger (check right before you go). Turns All Year -- Geared towards backcountry skiing. I assume you are skiing, but the information will still be relevant if you plan on being on snow shoes. I think it only makes sense as a trip when conditions are very stable. I don't see that for a while. You might consider other alternatives. You will definitely see more people, but if you haven't seen it before, Artist Point is spectacular. Not really the same sort of thing (it is significantly easier than Hidden Lake Peaks) but still very rewarding. Of course that assumes that you can see anything. It might just be cloudy all day. There are other places if you want solitude.

Cyclopath, wisedamian22
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 3:51 pm 
gb We obviously have a strong difference in opinion on what defines good advice. The only good advice found on this thread has come from those that claimed to have hiked this route over winter. The rest (including you) have been playing keyboard warrior. - but keep stroking those keys buddy, you'll get out there one day. zimmertr I'm not opposed to doing another hike if the conditions are not in my favor. But if not, I'm sure that I'll find other fun things to do while there. I hear there's great resort riding and a few hot spring hikes. Cheers

wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 3:53 pm 
rossb You are the man. Thanks my guy!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 3:55 pm 
Have you considered Mt St Helens?

Flickr | Strava

wisedamian22
gb

gb
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 5:42 pm 
wisedamian22 wrote:
gb We obviously have a strong difference in opinion on what defines good advice. The only good advice found on this thread has come from those that claimed to have hiked this route over winter. The rest (including you) have been playing keyboard warrior. - but keep
Well what you want to do safety-wise is up to you, it is your own life at stake; although I doubt you would even get there because you would be breaking significant trail from below 1000' starting on the road for about 8-12 miles. I've done HLP at least 8 times in winter/early spring. But I go when there are reasonable avalanche conditions and expectations of settled snow and good weather. This is not one of those times. I don't usually go the hut because it is wasted effort for skiing. The safest route to the hut is not the trail. Access the hut by a direct mixed climbing route which in winter will feel like exposed 5.4. You don't need a GPS, just visibility and some map skills as the terrain is open above 5400'. The problem at this point are near surface faceted snow from a couple days ago and recent and near future windslabs from E, S, SW, W, NW; and likely ESE directions beginning tomorrow. You can look at telemetry for the past seven days for Hurricane Ridge, Mt. Baker, and to a lesser extent Alpental to ascertain what wind directions were and are during and after recent storms. But expect winds to be much higher above TL on HLP.

wisedamian22, hikerbiker
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 6:46 pm 
wisedamian22 wrote:
I hear there's great resort riding and a few hot spring hikes
What is "resort riding".

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 6:58 pm 
Logbear I'm sorry, was that a question? Okay, I'll entertain your statement with another question. What do you think it is?

Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 8:00 pm 
Oops, sorry I missed the question mark. Yes, that was a question. I meant to ask, "what is resort riding? I didn't think I made a statement, but if this is a guessing game, I'll turn to google. Horseback riding. But that doesn't make much sense. Not many winter horse riding resorts. I thought maybe skiing, but that would be "skiing", and snowboarding would be "snowboarding". Maybe there are resorts that rent snowmobiles that people can ride on. I honestly don't know what you mean by "resort riding".

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 8:11 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
The question that I keep coming back to is why Hidden Lake Lookout among all other winter options?
Yeah but you could say that about any particular spot. I mean I have the same thought every time I hear about the MLK or the Issy Alps. Hidden Lake area is pretty spectacular; I wouldn't want to do it in the winter but I can understand flying in and wanting spectacular while you're here.

wisedamian22
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 8:22 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
Fyi, the cascade river road is closed at mp 6 due to a rock slide since November
You go left at mile 10 from Cascade River Road, and then 4.5 miles up an awful dirt road to get to the trail. Sounds like this adds 8.5 miles each way to the adventure. eek.gif I guess a bike would take some of the sting out of that.

wisedamian22
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 9:09 pm 
wisedamian22 wrote:
Logbear I'm sorry, was that a question? Okay, I'll entertain your statement with another question. What do you think it is?
Your arrogance is really gross.

D. Inscho, wisedamian22
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 9:50 pm 
It looks like a party went up this weekend and slept happy in a snow cave 1/4 mile from the lookout. You might get more current info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/PNWhiking/comments/11d2f0s/amazing_trip_to_hidden_lake_lookout_this_weekend/

wisedamian22, zimmertr