Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hidden Lake Lookout
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 10:38 pm 
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7997262 we did this trip a decade ago. i have no idea what the snow conditions are in WA now compared to when we went, but i would not consider the lookout unless you're in low to moderate conditions. as GB said, the final climb to the summit feels pretty real. we took a different up route vs down route on the summit block. i'm normally pretty confident on steep snow, but this was a little different feeling for some reason. good luck.

wisedamian22, zimmertr
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 8:31 am 
cyclopath Thanks for the breakdown. I'll be out there from Thursday to Tuesday next week before flying to Hawaii. That additional 8 miles sounds like it will work out just fine. Thank you for the awesome find of the most recent group and additional information! iron I absolutely love your pictures. I hope people see these and see why I want to do this hike now. Hopefully I have a journey as wonderful as yours. Thank you for the photos! Cheers!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
fn1889m

fn1889m
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 10:44 am 
KIRO Seattle Times OP, I get your frustration at some of the replies. I have had the same response to some people - usually the “Don't ask that here - we dont want people to know.” responses. But a couple solo hikers died on Hidden Lake route, and the incidents took up a lot of space on this forum, one being more controversial than the other. Maybe people are making unwarranted assumptions about your skill level. But for some reason HLP has been the location of some unfortunate accidents. So people are aware. I live in Skagit Co. There are a lot of other winter snow shoe and cross country ski routes that are open - up the Baker Lake Road, Nooksack MF, and SR 20/NCNP - that are accessible, physically challenging, and beautiful. It will be freezing and snowing. Some can be dangerous, and some are just hard. No offense is intended, and I do not know your experience level. So take this with the intention with which it is offered.

wisedamian22, Cyclopath
jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 12:28 pm 
wisedamian22 wrote:
I'll be flying in from Vermont on Thursday. Weather predictions look pretty good for a hike up on Friday (if avalanche conditions agree)
I haven't been on this route in the winter so I can't be helpful in that respect, but hopefully I can be helpful by suggesting that the current forecast strongly disagrees with this statement. We all know that forecasts more than a few days out are subject to change, but currently the Hidden Lake area is forecast to get 2-3 feet of snow between Thursday morning and Sunday morning (most of the moisture is Thursday through Friday morning) with snow levels hovering between 100-900 feet. I would guess there will be considerable danger near and above treeline at least on Thursday and Friday, if not through the weekend. OP, I won't tell you what to do with this information, all I will say is if it was me, I would stick to lower consequence touring or enjoy the benefits of ski patrol conducting avalanche control at Baker or Alpental this weekend. If your goal is views, the Hidden Lake area has them in spades but I doubt you will see very much while the storm rolls through. If your goal is great powder skiing, you can find better, safer lines that are much easier to access for touring, or you can enjoy our inbounds terrain that rivals just about anywhere else in the country when the snow is good. I can see how the miscommunications are going in both directions here, but OP, it might be helpful if you talked a bit about your winter and backcountry experience. That would help tailor the comments here and make them more constructive. An old friend of mine is very active in the Mansfield backcountry scene and does many dawn patrols at Stowe, so I know there is some great backcountry skiing in Vermont, albeit very different terrain and conditions than Washington.

fn1889m, Cyclopath
pula58

pula58
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 1:00 pm 
I think that the questions about route conditions are unanswerable, and here is why. Snow conditions change daily, and even during the course of a single day. So, a conditions report from (for example) a Wednesday will most likely be out of date by Thursday. The only day on which to base trip decisions is the actual day of your trip-so you might as well just go, and turn back if conditions are bad. But DO turn back if appropriate, don't get sucked-into the "we don't know when we'll ever be back here, so we have to do it now" way of thinking. That being said, even if the snow you are traveling on is in good (stable) shape, the areas above you might not be, and could spontaneously slide (avalanche). If you get caught you could die. Also, the weather forecast looks like there is a lot of new snow coming, and with significant winds. That is dangerous. Plus, if the weather is going to suck all this week, and on the days you might be there, why go at all? You won't get much in terms of views, and it could be total drudgery slogging up through feet of new snow. Also, as another said: This is in no way a "hike" at this time of year. It's winter mountaineering. It bears no resemblance to a hike. I have lived in the PNW for 30 years, climbed, backcountry skied, winter backpacked, snowshoed....and I have learned, go to where the goings good, to be willing to drop a cherished plan in favor of a better one. Better in terms of safely, and weather enjoyment. Knowing when to back-off is an essential mountain skill, as important as self-arrest, pro placement, crampon use, route finding, use of ropes/knots. Weather forecast for that area is below:

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 6:03 pm 
If the weather looks like crap, but you would still like to get in an adventure, try a hike up our Mailbox Peak! You don't want to go there on a sunny Spring weekend, but midweek, with a storm passing through, it is a true alpine adventure and will test one's equipment and grit. I hiked it today in light blizzard conditions. Crampons and variable conditions (big wind and ice) were the name of the game today. So much fun! Good Luck, Safe Travels, and feel free to contacted me for local input, or a day trip. Cheers, B!

wisedamian22
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 6:11 pm 
pula58 wrote:
I have learned, go to where the goings good, to be willing to drop a cherished plan in favor of a better one. Better in terms of safely, and weather enjoyment. Knowing when to back-off is an essential mountain skill
For sure, a lot of people have died because they stubbornly stuck to a set plan. I mean even if I plan to go into town shopping, if the weather is bad, I will put it off.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 6:11 pm 
Now I Fly Pics or it didn't happen lol 😜 Cheers!

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 6:29 pm 
Wasn't really a picture taking kinda day. :-)
Cheers, B!

wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 7:11 pm 
Now I Fly Now those are my kind of conditions! Love it brotha! Keep killing it 🍻

Gil

Gil
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 8:46 pm 
I'm just hoping I don't have to read about this in the newspaper on Monday. Along with the insufferable "I told you so's."

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

wisedamian22
rstoddard24
BBQWingz

rstoddard24
BBQWingz
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 9:16 pm 
not this winter, but in Feb 2021 we went to this zone when there was some touchy avy conditons and stormy weather and found some fun powder skiing while avoiding exposure to complex terrain. Our plan was follow the ridge route up from the tight road switchback, camp right at treeline @ ~5800', and ski the mellow slopes below the true summit (avoid steep slope traverse to the lookout). Here is our route: https://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1636653

wisedamian22
gb

gb
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 9:40 pm 
What is different this time is the likelihood of NSF and maybe SH covered initially with a few inches to 10" of low density new snow but with slabs that were widely triggered throughout the Cascades last weekend; top that off with 1-2' of a bit denser snow, variable wind directions and voila. I would expect some slopes may be triggered on slopes as low as 30-32 degrees. NWAC mentions this. Since you cannot see the underlying snow it is essentially a lottery; even if you dig and test that may not be relevant not far away. Because it is cold, especially about 5500 to 6000', don't expect reliable change in conditions other than gradually thicker slabs. If you use explosives you can have much greater confidence.

wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 11:45 pm 
gb Everythings a lottery

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 12:05 am 
Lotteries and gambling are a tax for the mathematically challenged.

D. Inscho, Malachai Constant