Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Who Built Seattle? Bob Ortblad at the Town Hall in 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 1:07 pm 
This is a pretty interesting story with lots of detail and a good amount of humor that was presented at the Town Hall in 2017. The presentation was preserved by the Seattle Channel. It is worth watching. https://seattlechannel.org/TownSquare?videoid=x71699

JimK
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 12:43 pm 
A very interesting history of Seattle. I lived in Seattle from 1955 to 58 while I was finishing up at the U of W. It got me to thinking of how some things were when I was living there. The Rivanna Blvd. crater appeared. A huge sewer collapsed and took out a big section of the street. There were major problems getting it fixed. I Believe the Smith Tower was still the tallest building in town. The city was still dumping garbage on the edge of Lake Washington where the ball parks north of the stadium are now. We played intermural football next to the dump. Shared fields with the seagulls and their droppings. The Kalakala was still operating. As kids we would see it occasionally as it cruised by Whidbey Island. The freeway had not started yet. Alaska Way viaduct and 99 was the main route thru town. The Gas Works was not yet a park. Boeing rolled out the first 707 in Renton. It got the U.S. into the jet age. Tex Johnson did a slow roll in it while over the Seafair races. He said it was safe but was told not to do it again. B-52s were being test flown out of Boeing Field. Miss Thriftway and the Slo Mos were at the top of the unlimited hydroplane racers. I washed trucks at the Thriftway warehouse at the south end of Boeing Field. I got to see Miss Thriftway up close on its trailer, and hear them test the engines. There were crates of Allison engines on the loading dock.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 12:46 pm 
JC Made Seattle Under Protest was the meme I learned to remember down town streets from south to north.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 9:34 am 
Here are a few more Seattle history notes that are worth checking out if you are interested. Ft Lawton, now Discovery Park Sand Point NAS, now Magnuson Park Seattle Rainers baseball team Sicks Seattle stadium Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center name origination All have an interesting past