Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hidden Lake Lookout - Attempt [ 3/2/2023 - 3/3/2023 ]
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSat Mar 04, 2023 1:50 pm 
Hi all, I flew in from Vermont on Thursday 3/2/2023 to make an attempt at Hidden Lake Lookout. Once landing, I stopped into REI to pick up a few last minute essentials (ice axe and avalanche shovel). I made my 2 hour drive out to Cascade River Road up to MP6,. Drove thru the road closed signs until I reached the portion of the road where the large fallen boulder blocks the remainder of the road. I drove around the boulder and parked on the other side of it before making my trek to the hidden lake lookout (Winter Route) trail head. I departed from my vehicle at approx 6PM and snowshoed my way to the trail head. Deep snow was encountered along the way (~3'). I got about 7 miles in and heavy snow fall began to accumulate to the point where I felt that I needed to set up camp. I set up camp during this heavy snowfall by digging a cave to put my tent for the night. My Hope's where that the weather would pass by morning time so that I could continue my ascent. Morning time rolls around and there is still substantial amounts of snow fall accumulating. I heard a few trees fall due to the weight of snow (I assume) in the distance. Everything in my tent was soaking wet due to the condensation and weather conditions. I decided then that it would probably be best to hike back down and find other activities to do for the remainder of my time in Washington. I packed up and departed the site at approx 8:30AM. I encountered numerous trees that had fallen on the road leading up to the trail head that were not there the night prior on my ascent up. I made it back to my vehicle at approx 1PM to find that it was blocked in by snow. I had no service and was extremely exhausted at this point. I attempted to turn my rental vehicle around in the snow but got stuck almost instantly. I then grabbed the shovel that I purchased last minute to dig myself out and then dug enough snow out to create a turn around point to get out. I dug what I thought was enough but then got myself stuck again. I then took a 30 minute break to make myself some lunch (Mountain House - Beef Stroganoff - my absolute favorite meal) pounded down my summit beer and then continued to dig. Took 2 hours to dig enough out for a good turn a round spot. Finally, for the moment if truth. I got the car turned around and made it around the fallen boulder onto the other side of freshly powdered road and carefully made my descent down to maintained road. I then got to spot with decent cell reception and notified the family that I was safe. Then I booked a hotel near Mt. Rainier and made the 4-hour drive there. I'm currently testing up to hopefully get some hiking in on Rainier tomorrow and possibly squeeze in a trek up Mt. St. Helens on Monday. Might try to squeeze in some backcountry riding before I leave on Tuesday. This was my second attempt to hike to HLL in the last 3 months. I booked a trip to go up over Christmas but had to make other arrangements due to weather (flights to Seattle were canceled due to storm). Then of course this attempt. This attempt was also due to weather and lack of time to properly ascend this route. I'll be taking a third attempt in either summer or fall this year (hopefully without opposing weather conditions) to finally complete this route. I did have a good time and enjoyed the fact that I was off the grid for a good 24hrs. Just me against nature. It was a challenge but it's not yet completed. I hope to one day be able to ascend the winter route. The views on a clear day in the winter look mesmerizing. See attached photos of my trip. Nothing really to report other than a few fallen trees on the road up to trail head. I'll be back.

veronika, Brushbuffalo, jaysway, Bootpathguy, Cyclopath, KascadeFlat, Fedor, RichP, Now I Fly, Paul Mayes, reststep, Mike Collins, zimmertr, neek
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Mar 04, 2023 2:24 pm 
Thanks for posting, sorry about the unwelcome introduction to the community. Glad to have you. Beef Stroganoff is my favorite freeze dried meal too. Come back some time in the summer.

Flickr | Strava

Krylon
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Mar 04, 2023 2:47 pm 
7 miles in 3 foot snow with no one to help break trail is quite a trek. Add all the shoveling, and additional treks at MRNP and Mt St Helens would be a no-go for me. Actually after the first half hour of your trip, the rest of it would have been a no-go for me. Except for Mtn H Beef Strogonoff; of any of those pre-packed foods, that one is a good one and it's the only prepackaged one I ever have on hand when too lazy to make my own.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Brushbuffalo
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Mar 04, 2023 3:48 pm 
Nice attempt and as long as you return safely it's always good to get out. Was that a rental car and non AWD I assume?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
huron

huron
PostSat Mar 04, 2023 8:19 pm 
That's some serious determination! Thanks for the report and photos.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Mar 04, 2023 9:51 pm 
Thanks for the report & the entertainment on the other thread. My suggestion is to go in mid July Once you get to the top, the adventure does not end. It just begins, if you want it to https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8024855

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Mar 04, 2023 10:02 pm 
Thanks for the trip report and the photos. That was a lot of work. 'Glad you made it down safely. May the rest of your trip go well.
wisedamian22 wrote:
You have to admit. This photo alone is a great conversation starter. wink.gif ~z

uww

uww
PostSat Mar 04, 2023 10:23 pm 
MSH on a clear winter day is hard to beat. Hope it works out for you. Thanks for the great threads.

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 pm 
uww wrote:
MSH on a clear winter day is hard to beat. Hope it works out for you. Thanks for the great threads.
That's what I was trying to say!!! He would have had a higher chance of success there too. And much better skiing.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Mar 05, 2023 7:37 pm 
Beef stroganoff is decent as a mountain house meat main but I personally recommend the BEEF MAC for a true MEAT MAIN experience

zimmertr, mosey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 05, 2023 8:18 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Thanks for the trip report and the photos. That was a lot of work. 'Glad you made it down safely. May the rest of your trip go well.
wisedamian22 wrote:
You have to admit. This photo alone is a great conversation starter. wink.gif ~z
Note to self....turn vehicle around to point in the direction of exit and if possible take a 4wd with a decent amount of clearance when snowfall is expected. There was former member here and he and is friends went on an overnight camping-hunting trip in the North Cascades in October and it snowed over a foot overnight. It cost him more to get his car towed out than it was worth. O' and don't forget the shovel, the OP is lucky he picked one up last minute.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

mosey
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 9:42 am 
Remember that poor guy several years ago, whose rental was stuck on the other side of a sudden road washout for months on the Hoh River Road and Avis charged him late fees? They finally waived them, after public outcry.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
reststep

reststep
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 2:25 pm 
I thought we might have a topic here about the car on the Hoh but anyway here is a link to an article in the Peninsula Daily News. https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/stranded-cars-recovered-from-hoh-river-road-exile/

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

jaysway, Bramble_Scramble, mosey
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 10:39 pm 
Hey all! Thanks for the kind comments. Update: I was able to catch Rainier on a good day. Rented a set of snow chains and got up there around 11AM. Hiked in and set up shot to have some lunch. (You guessed it - Beef Stroganoff) I left Rainier around 1PM and set my sights on Mt. ST. Helens. I booked a cabin 20 minutes away. My goal was to summit this mountain today. However, there was another storm blowing thru I assume and did not give the conditions I felt like hiking in. Since I'm flying out tomorrow morning, I booked another ABNB in Seattle. I made my drive there and found some other stuff to get into. I rented a Lamborghini for 2-Hrs and tore it up around Seattle for a bit. This place has been wonderful but now it's time to make my way south to warmer weather. MAHALO🤙🏻

jaysway, Bootpathguy, reststep, Chief Joseph  zimmertr
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 11:13 pm 
Cool. It's not often that one eats a Mountain House dinner one day and drives a Lambo the next!

jaysway