Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hidden Lake Lookout - Attempt [ 3/2/2023 - 3/3/2023 ]
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostTue Mar 07, 2023 1:25 pm 
There are a number of winter driving tips, many of which I've learned the hard way: 1) Carry a shovel. The OP did that -- kudos for that. I've seen a lot of people without one. 2) Don't block the gate, a turnaround spot, or some place where someone might go with a plow. For that matter, avoid being in the middle of the road. Even if someone can pass you, they might slide into you by accident. Always imagine how other vehicles will go by you. 3) Turn your car around so that you don't have to do that later. I even go back and forth so that when I do head out, I have a little section where I can build up a bit of momentum. 4) Carry a saw. Less important than a shovel, but can be essential if you have wet snow. Even a small saw can help a lot. You might be able to drive over a log, but not the branches. 5) Have blankets and extra food in the car, especially if you are day hiking. You might be fully prepared, but an accident might close the road. I have four wheel drive, and more importantly, snow tires. But even if you have a rental, those tips can save you a lot of time and hassle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jaysway

jaysway
PostTue Mar 07, 2023 1:32 pm 
Thanks for sharing this trip report. I'm glad you were able to make it out safely. Coming back in the summer or fall is a great idea. It's a straightforward hike/backpack, and your chances of having good conditions and weather on any day between late July and mid September are high. The most difficult part of the hike is getting up the road! Hidden Lake Lookout was one of my final backpacking trips in 2020, my first summer in the area. I started the hike early on a weekday and was the first person to the lookout just as the group that was up there the previous night was leaving. This was peak COVID, and the two other people who arrived later and would normally have shared the lookout with me declined to do so in order to social distance. It was a special experience. I stayed in touch with one of the backpackers who declined to share the lookout, and we are now friends.

Chief Joseph
The Ghost of Bear 380
~SJ~

The Ghost of Bear 380
~SJ~
PostSat Mar 11, 2023 11:35 am 
Interesting trip report! up.gif
wisedamian22 wrote:
I set up camp during this heavy snowfall by digging a cave to put my tent for the night.
@wisedamian22, do you have any photos of your camp cave and tent set up? I'm just getting into winter camping and would love to see your set up. TIA.

hikerbiker
BriaTyler

BriaTyler
PostTue Mar 14, 2023 5:07 am 
It's a very beautiful place, I really enjoy watching people travel, I really want to do it myself, but I can't because of work.