Forum Index > Trail Talk > Foothills between Duvall, Monroe, and Sultan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 7:12 pm 
The foothills behind Duvall have always interested me for some reason. It started when I found out about Kelley Road, how it connected with Cherry Valley Road in Duvall and Stillwater Hill Road near Carnation. Then the interest moved out toward Stossel Creek Road. What a thrill when I found out it connected all the way up to the Ben Howard road near Sultan! I think most of the curiosity stemmed from rumors of murders in the Lake Joy area. Since I got my Jeep, I have been able to explore more difficult roads up in that area. Last fall I wanted to explore the area around King Lake near Lake Fontal Road, so I headed up, and before the main turnoff toward King Lake, I found another turnoff to the left that was gated, but for some reason it was unlocked that day. So I headed up and drove on the dirt roads underneath the power lines. Well, the roads up there are so numerous, and I wasn't really paying attention, and before I knew it I had kind of gotten myself lost. I ended up coming down the main King Lake road, back out onto the Lake Fontal Road. When I finally got my bearings straightened out, I tried to follow a road that, according to my map, followed some powerlines down and ended up right on the Ben Howard Road on the Skykomish. I ran into a guy driving a Chevy and he told me that we were on the "Upper Peoples Road." Does anyone know this area well? I would be interested in exploring more of it because there don't seem to be many people up there. It's close to home and it also has great views of both the Snoqualmie and Skykomish River Valleys. Let me know what you know about the area...experiences, knowledge about closed gates, etc....

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 9:13 pm 
Ah, yes, the Tomtits. Quite a mess. Haven for people with guns. :angry:

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 9:31 pm 
Tomtits? I didn't see anyone up there with guns when I went.

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 11:18 pm 
The area is known as the Tomtit Alps. If you look on the Monroe quadrangle, you'll see there are all sorts of funky hills dotting the area between Monroe and Duvall. No idea how it all was formed, glaciers maybe? Anyway, every time I've been in the area, there have been numerous people out shooting at rock piles, stumps, old cars, and god knows what else. Most of the lakes and streams and the few waterfalls in the area are pretty well left alone. Trashed, but left alone. I'd suggest checking out Cherry Lake when you've got time. Directions here: http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/falls/upper_cherry_creek.htm and http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/falls/cherry_lake.htm

salish

salish
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 8:51 am 
Thanks Sundance, for your informative message. I used to fish the Sky along the Ben Howard road a lot and have often wondered what was up in the hills just south of there. Back in the mid 1970's I had a 1948 Willys Jeep and used to explore the old logging roads on the north side of the valley, near Wallace Lake and such, but never got around to exploring the south side of the valley. Great report.
Sundance Kid wrote:
The foothills behind Duvall have always interested me for some reason. It started when I found out about Kelley Road, how it connected with Cherry Valley Road in Duvall and Stillwater Hill Road near Carnation. Then the interest moved out toward Stossel Creek Road. What a thrill when I found out it connected all the way up to the Ben Howard road near Sultan! I think most of the curiosity stemmed from rumors of murders in the Lake Joy area. Since I got my Jeep, I have been able to explore more difficult roads up in that area. Last fall I wanted to explore the area around King Lake near Lake Fontal Road, so I headed up, and before the main turnoff toward King Lake, I found another turnoff to the left that was gated, but for some reason it was unlocked that day. So I headed up and drove on the dirt roads underneath the power lines. Well, the roads up there are so numerous, and I wasn't really paying attention, and before I knew it I had kind of gotten myself lost. I ended up coming down the main King Lake road, back out onto the Lake Fontal Road. When I finally got my bearings straightened out, I tried to follow a road that, according to my map, followed some powerlines down and ended up right on the Ben Howard Road on the Skykomish. I ran into a guy driving a Chevy and he told me that we were on the "Upper Peoples Road." Does anyone know this area well? I would be interested in exploring more of it because there don't seem to be many people up there. It's close to home and it also has great views of both the Snoqualmie and Skykomish River Valleys. Let me know what you know about the area...experiences, knowledge about closed gates, etc....

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 9:01 am 
Wayerhauser Land?
Isn't most of the Tomtits on Wayerhauser or other private land? There sure are plenty of gates up there. I read on a flyfishing board that you have to walk into Lake Fontal. Any others have more info on the area?

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 2:35 pm 
The Tomtit Alps are indeed greatly on Weyerhaeuser lands, which in turn is why it is such a great area to explore. Roads are gated primarily, which keeps the yahoos out but also makes for longer hikes to places, and lonely hikes at that. I've hiked up Haystack Ridge numerous times, and it is fun to try to hike in to the lakes that are on the south side of the ridge there. Cherry Falls just off the road that SoreFeet talks of is a must stop when driving that road from Stossel Creek to Ben Howard. Just out Stossel Creek are some fine places to hike through lovely forest to connect to areas of the eastern-most area of the North Fork Tolt River as well. Just pick a road and start hiking. Scrooge will have something to say too since he hikes this area a lot every winter.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 2:36 pm 
The Tomtit Alps are indeed greatly on Weyerhaeuser lands, which in turn is why it is such a great area to explore. Roads are gated primarily, which keeps the yahoos out but also makes for longer hikes to places, and lonely hikes at that. I've hiked up Haystack Ridge numerous times, and it is fun to try to hike in to the lakes that are on the south side of the ridge there. Cherry Falls just off the road that SoreFeet talks of is a must stop when driving that road from Stossel Creek to Ben Howard. Just out Stossel Creek are some fine places to hike through lovely forest to connect to areas of the eastern-most area of the North Fork Tolt River as well. Just pick a road and start hiking. Scrooge will have something to say too since he hikes this area a lot every winter.

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 3:04 pm 
Tomtits
Seems like it would be a great place to mountain bike, too. Has anyone ever hiked what they call the Haystack? It's just east of the turnoff that crosses over Youngs Creek on the Cedar Ponds/Stossel Creek Road. My sister and I hiked it once, just to say we did it. It was pretty fun, and pretty impressive looking from the road. On another note, does anyone know of a way to get into the Tolt Reservoir? This has baffled me for years. I know they say it's not accessible by the public, but I think there's still got to be some way in that someone has forgotten about. There are tons of side roads off of Stossel Creek, and I haven't had the opportunity to explore them all yet. One of them's got to connect up somewhere... Also, does anyone know of a road that connects onto the Tolt Pipeline Trail? That would be the most direct route of getting out to the reservoir...not that I would ever think about doing anything illegal like that... rolleyes.gif How about a road that connects Stossel Creek road with Lake Fontal road or Kayak Lake? road? There are roads that go off that way according to my map, but all the ones that I have ever taken just end up at locked gates. waah.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 7:18 pm 
Tomtits, etc.
Sundance, you better send me your e-mail address (I don't use the emergency list for personal communications). - Alan's right. Larch and I do a lot of winter hiking in that area, on both sides of the tree farm boundary. It will be easier if I can send you maps rather than try to describe everything - and the maps are too big to post here. Forget about the Tolt Reservoir. The watershed is heavily patrolled and the fines for being caught in it are stiff. The best views of it are from Phelps Ridge and getting there really requires a Weyerhaeuser pass ($65/year - this may be the last year). You can't even bike there on the Tolt Pipeline Road, because it's gated at the Tolt Regulating Basin, even though you can use it on both sides. There's a pretty good access from the Youngs Creek Truck Trail, but I'll have to show you that on a map. Best access to Lake Fontal and Lake Hannan is from High Rock Road-Lake Fontal Road. The lakes are an easy road walk from the gate and there are lots of loop trips around the lakes with the gate as a starting point. Also some great views of the Elwell Valley and the Tomtits from east of the lakes. On the Haystack: Alan Bauer hiked in that route last year; I've only driven it - from both sides of the gate. wink.gif Actually getting to either Haystack Ridge or the Haystack, itself, from that starting point is a very long walk. The easiest approach to the Haystack is from FS 62 (once the slide is repaired). Several other approaches are possible. It's one of those areas where maps are particularly useful. See if you can find a copy of Footsore II in the library. It's got a lot of useful information on the area, even though the driving information is totally out of date. In general, the roads are still there, but gated, so you have to walk them rather than drive them. Feel free to ask specific questions. Somebody here will probably know the answer. Asking for a general response is like asking for a book. rolleyes.gif We're not that nice. Wide spot in Stossel Creek

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 7:20 pm 
Sundance Kid wrote:
On another note, does anyone know of a way to get into the Tolt Reservoir?
I think you can drive to within a 1/4 mile of the dam, but I'm not positive. Look in the Footsore books, there's lots of mention of the Pipeline trail in there.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 7:37 pm 
Tolt Reservoir
Bryan. Truly, you do not want to go to the Tolt Reservoir (see preceeding post).

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 9:21 pm 
Scrooge - How big are those maps you are talking about? I can't receive any attachments bigger than a meg on my hotmail account. waah.gif But I would love to take a look at them. I'm sure they and those Footsore books would be very helpful. Are you sure we're talking about the same Haystack? The one I'm talking about isn't labeled on any map I've seen, and it's not anywhere near Forest Service Land. The one I'm talking about just looks like a haystack from the Cedar Ponds road, right at about the junction with the road that crosses over Youngs Creek and goes up toward Cedar Ponds Lake and Dagger Lake. I have a pic of it; once I get it scanned in I'll post it for you to take a look at. When my sis and I hiked it, we parked at a yellow gate not far beyond the turnoff from Cedar Ponds/Stossel Creek road. It only took us about a half hour to an hour to climb to the top. There was an old forgotten logging road that went partway up the ridge. Is the Haystack I think you're talking about the one that's on the Skykomish way up by Gold Bar? So I can bike to the Tolt Regulating basin, and I can bike on the other side of the reservoir? Is there a nice paved road on the east side of the reservoir too? (I can't see why they would have one)

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 7:59 am 
Tolt pipeline
Sundance. The maps average 250-300k. Should be no problem on hotmail. I'll send you bits and pieces as the spirit moves me. When you have questions about a specific area, I'll address those fairly promptly. You're right. Your "haystack" is your own invention. The official Haystack Mountain is the little bump on the north end of the ridge overlooking Sultan and Gold Bar. Haystack Ridge is the much larger mass to which HM is attached. The name is unofficial but pretty generally recognized and accepted. Your haystack is evidently one of the many peculiar bumps that characterize the Tomtits. I'll need to see your picture before I can guess which one. You can bypass the Tolt Regulating Basin on bikable spur roads. When you return to the Tolt Pipeline Road, it is not paved but it is about as good as a dirt road can get (on the west side). If you don't already have the USGS maps that cover that area, you'll want to get them. They're really invaluable, although you will have to add the gates as you explore.

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 9:50 pm 
So, Scrooge, Just how close can I get to the actual Tolt Reservoir once I have taken the 7 mile bypass around the Regulating Basin? Also, couldn't I also access the Pipeline Road by way of Proctor Creek off Highway 2 past the Haystack, to the North Fork Tolt, and down to the Pipeline Road? And what would be wrong with accessing it from the south? I could drive like I was going to the North Fork Snoqualmie Road, but I could turn north on the Fury Lake road. Or, I could access that road by following Tokul Creek up, and then it looks like there are numerous spurs that lead onto the Fury Lake Road. I would really like to explore all this area. I also want to explore Griffin Creek, but there are always gates there. Now the question is, how much of this land (Griffin Creek, Tokul Creek, over to NF Snoqualmie) is Wayerhauser? If it is owned by them, is there any way to get passes?