Forum Index > Trip Reports > Nordrum LO environs: 03/05/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 pm 
Woke up to nicer weather than expected today, so I switched my plans last minute. Decided to head out to the Quartz Ridge area to check out a ledge I've been eyeing on satellite imagery. MFK road is bare until the CCC trailhead. After that, there are tracks through the snow but the road is essentially one-way from here to the MFK trailhead. Until the snow melts more, you'll have to be careful encountering oncoming traffic. Made quick time up to the old lookout site. You wouldn't know this was a former lookout site unless you saw the sign. Headed beyond the lookout up to about 2100'. The tree bombs were relentless so I decided to call this my high point for the day. Headed down and wandered east for a ways before coming to a knob with a decent view of Garfield. There's supposedly another vista nearby but I never found it. Made the mistake of trying to take a shortcut down to the MFK campground. Tried three different routes and all cliffed out. Had to head back up a few hundred feet and follow my inbound tracks down. Will have to return for further exploration after the snow melts. Some snaps:

Now I Fly, awilsondc, HitTheTrail, Cyclopath, Brushbuffalo, John Mac, Bramble_Scramble, Matt, zimmertr  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 3:09 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Nice photos as always. Can you imagine standing on a springboard when that size of a tree starts to tip. I guess you would just drop your saw, jump to the ground and haul ass, always looking over your shoulder for flying debris from all the other trees being hit and throwing stuff your way!

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 pm 
You'd have to be pretty nimble, that's for sure!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 2:33 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
It was fun to figure out what this peak was -- the relatively innocuous Collar Mountain except from this side it looks awesome.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

ALW Hiker, fourteen410