Forum Index > Trip Reports > Peaks of Otter (Virginia - Mar/5/2023)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 10:57 am 
The Peaks of Otter – Sharp Top and Flat Top Mountain - are located right off the Blue Ridge Parkway, in Virginia's Jefferson National Forest, southwest of Shenandoah National Park. Abbot Lake, aka Peaks of Otter Lake, lies at the base of both mountains. Sharp Top I parked my car at the Peaks of Otter Visitor Center in the early hours of the morning. I started my hike up Sharp Top at 5:45am, about 15min later than I'd originally hoped. The stiff gradient and rocky tread, which included a few series of stone steps, made the relatively short hike a bit more of a workout than I'd expected. Sunrise happened about 10min shy of the summit, so my late start ended up costing me.
1- Looking across at Flat Top
1- Looking across at Flat Top
2- Bathed in morning sunshine (selfie)
2- Bathed in morning sunshine (selfie)
I spent a good 1.75hrs at the summit, basking in the 360° views. I took a few 'selfies', one of which took quite a bit of effort in figuring out a safe way to approach and then scramble up to my perch. The view of Flat Top, my next objective, with Abbot Lake sparkling below it was quite breathtaking.
3- It took some work to set this one up (selfie)
3- It took some work to set this one up (selfie)
Stats: 3.75mi, 1700ft elevation gain (including all explorations), 3.5hrs Flat Top After getting back down from Sharp Top I walked past Abbot Lake to the Flat Top Mountain trailhead. Another stiff climb ensued. With the hardwood forest that covered the mountainsides still bare of leaves, filtered views of pointy Sharp Top kept me company all the way up. I kept hoping to spot a rocky perch that would provide me with a clear shot of the mountain, but the only good option I saw was a bit risky to climb up on. Thankfully, just below Flat Top's summit, I found an outcrop with a clear view of Sharp Top. I did have to brush bash my way to it, but it wasn't that bad.
4- Abbot Lake and Flat Top
4- Abbot Lake and Flat Top
5- Sharp Top from Flat Top (selfie)
5- Sharp Top from Flat Top (selfie)
The summit offered good views of the mountains to the north and west, and the Bedford valley to the east. The Bedford Reservoir lay right below me. The only thing it didn't do was offer a clear shot of Sharp Top, so I was glad to have made the earlier effort.
6- Bedford Reservoir
6- Bedford Reservoir
Stats: 6.25mi, 1700ft elevation gain (including all explorations), 4.25hrs Cumulative stats: 10mi, 3400ft elevation gain (including all explorations), 7.75hrs

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

John Mac, awilsondc, RichP, reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 6:49 pm 
I'm getting close. Planning to hike Mt Rogers tomorrow. smile.gif

GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 7:10 pm 
Cool! I've never been there, but have always wondered about it, since it is the highest point of Virginia.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani