Forum Index > Gear Talk > Wool Mittens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostTue Mar 07, 2023 12:59 pm 
I currently own a pair of mittens like these: https://www.rei.com/product/800382/fox-river-double-ragg-mittens. These work well, but they are wearing out (again). Last time I patched them, but I get tired of that. So I'm thinking of upgrading. I still want wool mitts -- I like the breathability. I wear them over liner gloves, and under shells (when it comes to that). So I'm looking at these, but they are expensive: https://www.rei.com/product/212592/hestra-gloves-wool-expedition-mittens. Are they worth the extra price? Another option are these: https://www.sweaterchalet.com/dachstein-woolwear/dw-3112-adult-mitts/. Anyone have any experience with any of these (other than the pair I have). Thanks in advance. Note: As I write this, the Hestra mitts are on sale (not as much difference between those and the Fox River).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Mar 07, 2023 3:57 pm 
I have a pair of those Dachsteins. Nice mittens, very warm. The boiled wool is very dense so it cuts wind quite a bit better than typical woven wool. They're made with a pre-formed curve to match how your fingers curl, which keeps the fabric from bunching up in your fist so much. If I have a minor gripe it's that they are so long going up my arms that they're difficult to wear with a heavy coat. Anything with a stretchy closure around wrists is battling with the mittens for space. I make do by folding the mitten openings into a cuff; that shortens things enough when necessary. EDIT: I notice one of the pictures on the Dachstein page you linked to shows a woman using the gloves with the tops rolled into a cuff like I mentioned:

rossb

rossb
PostTue Mar 07, 2023 4:04 pm 
[Never Mind -- I decided to order a pair -- if I get the size wrong I can always return them.] Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 11:07 am 
Wool is still the best! I usually pick up a pair of 100% wool gloves or mitts whenever I see them on sale for $1-2 (Old Navy/Gap/Nordstrom Rack, etc). REI used to have good budget deals back in the day but now (starting during the Covid supply chain scarcity and subsequent inflation), even basic things there are now massively over priced. I think I got my Dachstein wool mitts at REI back in the late 80s/early90s for less than $20. I regret getting rid of them! My suggestion is try military surplus. These are a great bargain and some have a trigger finger for better dexterity when you need it: $2.50 a pair: https://colemans.com/trigger-finger-mittens-u-s-g-i-2-pair Thinner softer and $6.50/ pair: https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-aircrew-wool-mitten-inserts-2-pair-pack Also love these Korean war vintage canvas and leather overmitts for $15: https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-vintage-korean-war-trigger-finger-mitten-shell-dated The breathability far exceeds synthetics, and clearly the overmitts are for cold temps when water isn't a concern. (single digits Fahrenheit). The thinner wool mitts are big in the hand and can be layered over each other. Coleman's can gouge you a bit on postage however. But it's an interesting site to explore for inexpensive yet often very durable, quality vintage outdoor gear (Mukluks or Polartec Pile bibs for $10, etc). I use Kinco gloves at the ski areas when temps are in the 20sF. In the low teens and single digits, i prefer the wool mitts, singly when moving or with the overmitt if stopped and it's windy. I have not had the need to double up on the wool mitts with WA temps yet. Summiting Denali, I used only a pair of $5 thick pile gloves from Target for my hands. It was -26F at the 14k camp, so who knows what it was on the summit.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 10:14 pm 
Korean War vintage hand wear. Dad said under the mittens and gloves, they wore silk gloves, in event you needed to do fine work for a short time. You never took off the silk. You didn’t want to freeze to the ship.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 10:54 pm 
WIth regard to the products!! These days you get these guys just returning. Lots of folks getting into big money just returning these products for cash. I advise to return these products for cash!!

PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 11:00 pm 
I would get those Hestra gloves while they are on sale.

Carbonj

Carbonj
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 11:54 pm 
Old school climber, everyone had dachstein mittens. I have extra pair for free, contact me!

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Mar 09, 2023 7:13 pm 
The Best!
Bought these in about 77-78. Too small for me anymore but I can't let them go. We used to coat the palms in silicone, sprinkled with salt (for extra grip). Helped to hang on to your tools. B

rossb

rossb
PostFri Mar 10, 2023 4:47 pm 
Carbonj wrote:
Old school climber, everyone had dachstein mittens. I have extra pair for free, contact me!
Thanks for the offer, but I already ordered the Hestra pair from REI before I read your message. Maybe someone will take you up on that.

Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostFri Mar 10, 2023 5:11 pm 
$17.50 in 1978 is about $75 today, so the pair of Hestra (Dachstein?) mitts on sale right now at REI for $69.93 is a relative deal! PS: These NF Ridge Fleece mittens on sale for ~$22 seemed like a good deal too! They felt like quality when I tried them on in the store, thick and warm, and I was tempted by the first markdown to $34 (from $45 original price) but passed. When I saw yesterday that they were reduced further to the ~$22 close-out price, I snagged a pair! https://www.rei.com/product/210485/the-north-face-ridge-fleece-mittens

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 10, 2023 5:29 pm 
Problem has been solved, but FYI. Yak wool mittens from Etsy are extremely warm and can be pretty affordable.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 10, 2023 11:55 pm 
My mom knitted me a set of mitts when I was in college and starting climbing. The were very dense and were great mitts. She said they were very hard to knit so tight. I used them for years. She never knit another pair RIP.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn