Forum Index > Gear Talk > Neo Air X Therm (Therm-a-rest) leak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Mar 12, 2023 8:20 pm 
I'm a big fan of Therm-a-rest but wanted to pass something on. I had a Neo Air X Therm go dead flat on me (after about an hours sleep). Total head scratcher as it was fine during its previous outing and I try to be protective of it, and I'd guess it had a total of 30 nights use. I'll spare the drama of not being able to find the leak (soap/water) in the field and the consequences. So, off it goes to Therm-a-rest. 3 or 4 weeks later back comes a brand new mattress. Great, but I was spooked by not knowing what had happened. Talking to them it was said that the issue is micro tears that are impossible to perceive and that "less than 1% of product develops them." So, nice to have a new mat but I'm still somewhat spooked and wondering if I should be carrying a 3/4 length Z rest as backup. Other advice their tech rep had was to reduce the air pressure by 1/3 if leaving it in a tent for the day (to accommodate solar generated expansion).

Off trail rambler

Now I Fly, Gil, Shred
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Mar 14, 2023 12:14 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
Other advice their tech rep had was to reduce the air pressure by 1/3 if leaving it in a tent for the day (to accommodate solar generated expansion).
I recall reading this in the manual of mine when I bought it. If you don't and you come back mid-day the thing will be overinflated and hard as a rock! Can't be good for the seams.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 10:08 am 
Zimmertr, thanks for your thoughts on this. I just wanted to clarify that I don't think overinflation is a suspect in my mattress's failure. I don't inflate it until its firm, and all its uses were in areas where tree and leaf shade translated into only intermittent and minor solar impact. So, I'm still seeing reason for concern over the micro tears situation. Yep, word was "less than 1% of product develops them." But that still translates into a very rough night for someone.

Off trail rambler
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 3:23 pm 
I don't have an any Therm-a-rest inflatables but with other pads the valve area is a common place for very slow leaks to occur. I fill a tub and the pad then dunk and manipulate the valve this way and that to see if I can get any bubbles and if I find them investigate the source. This advice originated from an Exped rep. and has served me well over the years.

b00

b00
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 7:12 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
I don't have an any Therm-a-rest inflatables but with other pads the valve area is a common place for very slow leaks to occur. I fill a tub and the pad then dunk and manipulate the valve this way and that to see if I can get any bubbles and if I find them investigate the source. This advice originated from an Exped rep. and has served me well over the years.
i also had a leak that i could not initially find and eventually found near the valve.