Forum Index > Trail Talk > Paying for Rescue?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 3:34 pm 
To continue ideas discussed many times before and most recently in the Rescue on Three Fingers thread, I would like to give a personal perspective on paying for rescue. There are all sorts of proposals and thoughts about this. As of now, if someone in Washington calls for a rescue the cost is not passed on in part or in whole to those rescued. My personal perspective is that this is the way it should be. My understanding is that most SAR personel share this perspective with the thought that if one had to pay for a rescue, they might delay too long too call for one. Let me share my story. Several years ago I was hiking with a partner in the North Cascades, going north from Steven's Pass on Section K and L of the PCT. It was the first week of August, so it was plenty hot. On the second day of the hike I began experiencing some discomfort in my upper abdomen/lower chest. It was not severe, just a bit of unease. On the third day I felt fine in the morning but as the day wore on I began experiencing the same again but at a higher level of discomfort. Still it was not severe, though it was a bit worrying to me. On the fourth day it hit hard and I hiked at a slow pace, almost rediculous slow pace of the long ascents. I felt labored in my breathing and the pain was verging on severe. . My thought about it at this time was that I may be experiencing a heart attack or heart failure; mainly because of my families' history of heart problems and stroke. But if you know about Section K of the PCT, you know I was in the middle of an area that did not have a quick bail-out option. The only option was to either go back or continue forward. At the time, neither my partner nor myself had a PLB or inReach to signal for a rescue. At one point of an ascent I looked over and saw a small tarn with a small copse of trees for shade not far off the trail. I went over, threw my pack down and tried to recover a bit. I looked up at the 800 or so more feet of elevation to reach the ridge and told my partner I could not go any further. My chest and abdomen were in severe discomfort and I seemingly could not get my breath. I told my partner he needed to go on without me. He waited there with me and took a GPS reading so that he could notify any rescuers my location. We talked and in the discussion I asked if I would have to pay for the rescue. He was unsure. I knew that I could not afford to pay for a heli ride out as it might bankrupt me. So after waiting there two hours, I decided to go on until I either got out or dropped dead. Well I did get out on my own, but had some help from a WTA work party that gave me a ride down the then closed Cascade River road out to Darrington. They were also able to call ahead and arrange for my spouse to pick me up there. I went to the ER and discovered that I was not having heart issues but rather pancreatitis instead. Not as bad a a heart attack but could be dangerous in itself. But the main point for this discussion is that I refused the prospect of rescue because I could not afford the cost, which I was not aware at the time would not have applied, even though it all ended without me dead. So, even though SAR and the sherriff's office may risk their lives because of some individual's questionable judgement, I am still favor the concept of all rescues being free of charge and free of fines. I say we shoud error on the side of free rescue missions in order to avoid people calling for help too late. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 3:55 pm 
There was a legislative battle over this back in the 1980's and I testified many times as Chairman of Everett Mountain Rescue. It became law that rescues would not be charged, however transport can be charged. I've needed an aid car twice and my bill was around $1500 each time, which my insurance would not cover. A friend of mine was injured skiing at Stevens Pass and they transferred him at each fire district boundary to a different aid car and his bill was over $3000.

RumiDude
neek

neek
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 4:04 pm 
Agree completely. You know how many people show up at Harborview etc. requiring (and getting) expensive life-saving treatments they can't afford? The amount we spend on rescues is practically nothing. As a society we can easily afford it. (I won't get into some of the other activities that get huge subsidies, because things could get political.) Also a lot of these missions count as training exercises for Navy personnel etc.

RumiDude, Chief Joseph
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 4:06 pm 
I know a person that was rescued in the Sierra. The helicopter dropped them at the end of a road where they were transferred to an ambulance. The ambulance ride cost BIG bucks which their insurrance only covered a small amount. Thankfully the other portion of the rescue did not cost anything. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 4:56 pm 
I can imagine a bunch of different ways that the system could work. Maybe you use the model that European ski resorts (where they charge for rescue) do, and we all pay a little more for our public lands passes but that funds SAR. If charging for rescue weren't illegal here perhaps there would be an option for coverage as part of health insurance, the same way there is with travel insurance. In terms of the cost of transport, there is airlift insurance--plenty of people on the OP and our islands have it. Remember we do pay for 911 service via levy and "rescue" (fire etc) via our taxes. I'd happily pay into a system for mountain/recreational rescue if it meant SAR had everything it needed and could have a professional staff that was compensated for their time.

RumiDude
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 5:56 pm 
Go with what the SAR folks want. They are the ones performing the rescues.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Chief Joseph  Schroder
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 6:30 pm 
People who actually do search and rescue continue saying this will make it more dangerous for them because the public is already reluctant to call for help until they're in pretty deep, for fear of getting a bill. I find that a convincing argument especially considering who it's coming from.

RumiDude
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 6:32 pm 
Absolutely agree with Rumi. I work on a mountain rescue group and one of the most common questions I'm asked is if people have to pay. Situations like Rumi's are common. As a rescuer I would rather see you call before things go totally bad. Also, slightly off topic maybe, I like to see people carry an Inreach or SPOT 2-way satellite device. It's extremely useful to know whether you are lost or injured, if you are prepared to spend the night out, if you're in technical terrain where ropes will be needed. The number of rescuers needed can be as little as 2 or dozens.

Cyclopath, RumiDude
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 6:38 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I know a person that was rescued in the Sierra. The helicopter dropped them at the end of a road where they were transferred to an ambulance. The ambulance ride cost BIG bucks which their insurrance only covered a small amount. Thankfully the other portion of the rescue did not cost anything. Rumi
You can wind up bankrupted because you got sick in this country, I don't think that's the kind of society we should want to live in and I don't support attempts to make it worse.

Joseph
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 6:44 pm 
. As far as charging fir rescues IMO it is stupid the of people who do not call in time would quickly is more. Face it many climbers are dirt as and would never pay. If you think it costs the state too much, volunteer. I did as many of my friends, think of others for a change.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 7:25 pm 
If you use a Garmin InReach you can get rescue insurance fairly cheaply. $50K rescue coverage is $25/year, and $100K coverage is $30/year. Plus there is a third option of $100K coverage with fewer restrictions for $180/year

RumiDude
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 7:47 pm 
Charging for rescue is a f### stupid idea. What's next charging calling for 911 when there is a fire, medical emergency or a crime? Almost all of those involve some element of human error too. What is screwy is the haphazard way that the cost of performing rescues is covered by a patchwork of donations, volunteer workers and county departments.

fourteen410, Joseph, dave allyn
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 7:03 am 
I served in the military, (which doesn't pay much) and I'm a first responder within the community, (which also doesn't pay much) and I just joined Search and Rescue. I've always wanted to join SAR and I don't know why I dragged my feet so long to do it. I have yet to go on a mission- but it's never crossed my mind to want to be paid to rescue people off of a hiking trail. I had to shell out some cash to buy some gear that was required for the pack check but for the most part, I already have everything. So as far as $$$ invested in being a volunteer SAR member, I'm not in that deep. And I'm 30-40 minutes out from the most popular trails in the Cascades. If in fact you are someone who ends up being rescued by SAR, just make a donation and call it good. Or buy dinner for your rescuers. agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Vesper Peak

fourteen410, ozzy, Cyclopath, Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 10:05 am 
I am sure that buying dinner, donations, and maybe buying them some gear would be much appreciated, since many of them end up dining out on the way home from a rescue, maybe gas and/or food gift cards? I recently read a book detailing the S&R experiences of a Seattle couple and a lot of times they loan their coats, sleeping bags, etc to injured hikers and sometimes don't get them back. It was a good read and gave me knew appreciation of the people who give so much of themselves and their time.https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/31747378-found

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Cyclopath
kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 10:39 am 
Quote:
What's next charging calling for 911 when there is a fire, medical emergency or a crime?
We pay for that up front, through levies and taxes.
Quote:
What is screwy is the haphazard way that the cost of performing rescues is covered by a patchwork of donations, volunteer workers and county departments.
Agreed. I think the book mentioned above makes a good case for the need for a professional/funded SAR staff. I don't know why the argument has to be the status quo vs. charging per rescue. There are other ways to do it.