Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 12:31 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 4:45 pm 
That's terrible. The truck crossed that whole wide median??

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 7:11 pm 
Tweets from the WSDOT said the collision occurred at milepost 74. Where the median is a smooth grassy strip. The semi driver wasn't injured, but it seems unlikely they will admit they were doing something stupid with their phone instead of paying attention. I guess they choose to close at exit 62 instead of 71 to avoid a mess of vehicles trying to bypass the collision via side roads. Dozens of semi's trying to navigate snow covered logging roads between Easton and Cle Elum would create another mess.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 10:51 pm 
I think it’s a requirement of getting a CDL to chant no matter the setting I got cut off.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 11:25 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
I think it’s a requirement of getting a CDL to chant no matter the setting I got cut off.
??? I think anyone involved in a collision is expected to give a statement. Of course they can plead the 5th and say nothing. If the holder of a CDL that refuses to provide a statement, that alone might grounds for revoking or suspending their CDL. But driving commercial or otherwise is a privilege, not a right.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 7:11 am 
Randito wrote:
but it seems unlikely they will admit they were doing something stupid with their phone instead of paying attention.
Possible, but it was 1:45 in the morning. He probably fell asleep.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 12:12 pm 
Three people are dead in this collision, a tragedy compounded by the facts that such things are both unnecessary and irreversible. Awful is the word, and it doesn't even come close... Meanwhile, back here on earth:
Randito wrote:
but it seems unlikely they will admit they were doing something stupid with their phone instead of paying attention.
Or there was a mechanical issue or blown tire, or, or, or, or, or... Or perhaps gathering of facts should precede accusatory speculation? But again, three are dead and one is not. The survivor will shortly if they have not already produced their logs and papers, undergone a BA and blood stick (in lieu of license forfeiture). They will undoubtedly have their phone records subpoenaed and have every microsecond of their recent lives scrutinized in the search for cause, blame, and accountability....and they will have been asked a whole lotta questions. This is the point where the terms 'felony', 'manslaughter' and 'homicide' cease to become evening news abstractions to the surviving driver and solidly enter the realm of the here and now. And this is also the point where statement "I wish to have an attorney present before answering questions." becomes entirely appropriate.
Randito wrote:
??? I think anyone involved in a collision is expected to give a statement. Of course they can plead the 5th and say nothing. If the holder of a CDL that refuses to provide a statement, that alone might grounds for revoking or suspending their CDL. But driving commercial or otherwise is a privilege, not a right.
Unlike driving, which is a privilege, due process is a right.

zimmertr
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostThu Mar 30, 2023 7:55 pm 
Bruce Albert wrote:
Unlike driving, which is a privilege, due process is a right.
Not on the internet