Forum Index > Food & Grub > Good to Go Foods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 3:10 pm 
Was looking for some lower carb / healthier single serving freeze dried options for my last trip and found this Thai Curry at REI: https://www.rei.com/product/126368/good-to-go-thai-curry-single-serving Have to say it was one of the best meals I've ever had in the backcountry. It was a bit spicy, but not too bad. I haven't tried any of their other meals, but I was impressed enough to order one of each of their dinners to try out. If anyone else is interested in trying out their meals they sent me a referral link for 25% off your first order. Pretty good deal. Free shipping at $75. I also get a 25% off coupon if you use the link below, but doubt I'll be ordering more any time soon, ha, I have a dozen meals to try out first. https://oken.do/nbvndkqa

Navy salad, RumiDude, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 3:25 pm 
I've had their bean and kale one and it was good too!

Tom
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 5:53 pm 
Tom, for low carb freeze dried my goto is Next Mile Meals. Edit: From what I could remember Good To Go were high carb meals and that Thai Curry has 49g of net carbs.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 6:10 pm 
Correct, around ~50 carbs which is lower than most freeze-dried meals, at least the ones at REI which averaged 75 to 100+ carbs. I wasn't necessarily looking for diabetic or keto friendly meals, just wanted to limit the sugar and processed carbs and the ingredients looked relatively clean for a freeze dried meal. I just checked out that other brand you mentioned and it looks like a great option if you want to stay keto. I'm thin as a rail these days and if anything need to put on more weight, ha.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 8:17 pm 
After a few years of preparing my own food, I thought I would try some of these new packaged options. At perhaps the finest camp in the Cascades wink.gif, a party of 5 tried the widely acclaimed Lamb Bourguinon from Stowaway Gourmet. It really was an actual memorable highlight of the trip. Cost me almost as much as a water taxi up Ross Lake. Good To Go held its own. The Cuban Rice was very edible, though it is something you could make just mixing bulk dehydrated ingredients quite easily. Their Korma, though, was quite a nice treat. Had some Next Mile and Gastro Gnome earlier in the year with supplementary trout and found them more than adequate as well.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 8:34 pm 
I've reviewed their meals before. They were decent enough. I really approve of Peak Refuel for commercial meals, if you haven't tried them. They are not keto, but are rich in meat in their meals - if you eat meat.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
pjhorst

pjhorst
PostThu Aug 17, 2023 10:10 am 
100% agreed on the Good-to-Go Thai being one of, if not the best, in it's class. I too have tried running through their other options and they have been a bit hit or miss. Chicken Gumbo and Mushroom Risotto were both fine/good. Bibimap, maybe not my thing?

RumiDude
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Aug 17, 2023 10:27 am 
I must be in the minority here because I found the few Good2Go meals I ate a couple years ago pretty bland. Perhaps because they're often low sodium when compared to alternatives? Hot sauce helped though. Peak Refuel consistently seems to be my favorite.

Flickr | Strava

sarbar
ejain

ejain
PostThu Aug 17, 2023 3:19 pm 
Regardless of the brand, some foods rehydrate better than others. Rice is terrible, pasta is fine, and mashed potatoes are great (Mary Janes Farm has several options, or you could do your own). I'd also rather bring along beef jerky or other dried meat as a side than try to rehydrate meat.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Aug 17, 2023 3:49 pm 
Instant rice rehydrates perfectly. Use freeze-dried meat, that is in small pieces. We have access to more food that is trail ready than we have ever had.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Aug 18, 2023 8:17 pm 
The Meat Mains from Mountain House are the best. If you're powering hard enough you need to be getting in at least 2 Meat Mains a day!!! Ah hell if you're looking to protein up just go 4 Meat Mains (such as BEEF MAC) and pick out half the noodles! Then you're getting 4x the beef and only double the carbs!!!

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostFri Aug 18, 2023 8:45 pm 
Rice has been fine when I dehydrate it at home, but it is prone to poking holes in freezer bags. I've been liking having the powdered bone broth to add to foods I rehydrate on hand in case I want to add the flavor and protein while I'm on the trail.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Aug 18, 2023 9:11 pm 
On rice in bags? Commercial instant isn't as pokey as hone dehydrated. But an easy trick? Like the bag with a new paper towel. Then add in the rice, etc. When time to eat, remove the towel and proceed.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSat Aug 19, 2023 10:01 pm 
sarbar wrote:
On rice in bags? Commercial instant isn't as pokey as hone dehydrated. But an easy trick? Like the bag with a new paper towel. Then add in the rice, etc. When time to eat, remove the towel and proceed.
I'll give that a try next time. (My standing freezer has a shelf nearly full of home-dehydrated stuff that may not get used until next year, thanks to the foot.) I've recently been bringing an insulated bowl (Stanley) that my freezer bags just fit in, then stick the combo in a cozy. I've had enough leaks on my fleece, or food that didn't really rehydrate through, or a hot bag burn my hands/knees, that I thought I'd try it on a trip where the extra weight would be ok. It worked out well, and had the added bonus that the small tiny leaks that would be a problem on clothes were contained but still didn't require much in the way of cleanup.

sarbar
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostFri Sep 01, 2023 1:22 pm 
Has anyone tried Wild Society? I've heard good things but haven't been able to get my hands on them (sold out). https://wildsocietyoutdoors.com/collections/freeze-dried-food